Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need advice re car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2008, 06:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice re car purchase

Hi, just after Christmas we put a deposit on a ford Galaxy, registered April 2007. It is from a Main Ford Dealer via Ford Direct, we hadnt seen it and bought it based on spec and colour, plus the assurance that they are perfect and we have the right to reject it if it isnt, plus we know what one looks like.

We wanted a Zetec Diesel 2.0 with ESP, so they found one and its taken a couple of weeks to arrive, its here now and my wife went to have a look and apparently there is no ESP button on the dash, I went to look and mysteriously the keys were with the valeter, it was raining and dark so I couldn't check.

They said they would check it in the morning but though it had it fitted as it showed on their system as having it.

However I looked at a new one in the showroom and it has a button, next to the Park Distance control that is the skidding car symbol, according to my wife, 'ours' doesn't have it, the salesmen were trying to say that they don't all have the button and why would you ever turn it off, now every car I have been in with ESP has a button ?

Is there any sure fire way to determine if it has it fitted other than flinging it into a wet bend, if it crashes its not got it, if you dont it has ?

P1ssed off as we have been waiting for it, sold the old one and it doesnt look like its to spec.
Old 22 January 2008, 06:38 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

esp????
Old 22 January 2008, 06:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pressing the button should illuminate the ESP light on the dash. Does on the Mondeo.
Same image of a skidding car.

No button, no switch to turn ESP off, but believe it will be on as standard
Old 22 January 2008, 06:44 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a google
Why not just use it as a tool to get a load of money knocked off. At the end of the day, you would have to be driving like a tit to leave the road anyway - and i'm not sure an mpv is your usual suspect for thrashing round a country lane
Old 22 January 2008, 06:44 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Don't Ford have labels on the boot floor or front of servicebook (or elsewhere) with a list of codes relating to factory fitted options?
haven't checked other marques but VAGs do

The dealer should be able to get a list of the fitted options from their system which is linked to Ford
Old 22 January 2008, 06:45 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

OK it IS an extra
Ford Galaxy - 2.0 TDCi LX 5d - Equipment & Options - Parker's

So no button, no esp in this case I think.
Old 22 January 2008, 07:08 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

I once has a Astra Coupe Turbo without an ESP button
Old 22 January 2008, 07:20 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does my Scooby have ESP ? I dont have a button
Old 22 January 2008, 07:22 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

If its not as ordered you want some dosh of or knock it back, is it impossible for them to fit after market?
tbh mate, i dont know what you wanted it on it for anyway, your gettin on for forty now, and you wont be slinging it around anyway,
Old 22 January 2008, 07:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

This is why I want it fitted to the car,

thatcham.org | Electronic Stability Control | Dynamic Testing

Click the video links on the right hand side, funnily enough its a Galaxy.

I dont think it can be fitted afterwards, not in the way say a stereo could be, it has sensors for Yaw and Steering angle.

I still have just under three years until 40, anyway, you need it more as you get older cos your reactions slow down !

Its not about slinging around, mainly its just that seeing as we are spending all that money you want to get the spec you ordered, plus it does make cars safer, the Galaxy is a five star rating if you crash but I would prefer we avoid crashing it in the first place, the missus drives the kids to Anglessey without me and it is reassuring to think they are in as safer vehicle as possible.
Old 22 January 2008, 07:42 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

look in the handbook it will say if the car should have one usually they include things like that show where they would be and say may be an option on some vehicles.

Sound slike they are trying it on, all cars I have ever owned that have had it have a button to turn it off.
Old 22 January 2008, 07:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Snazy !, the car was registered April 07 and the dealers were saying that its 07 models that got it as standard whereas this says different via your link.

ESP with traction control + emergency brake assist £350 Launch May 2007
Old 22 January 2008, 08:07 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
This is why I want it fitted to the car,

thatcham.org | Electronic Stability Control | Dynamic Testing

Click the video links on the right hand side, funnily enough its a Galaxy.

I dont think it can be fitted afterwards, not in the way say a stereo could be, it has sensors for Yaw and Steering angle.

I still have just under three years until 40, anyway, you need it more as you get older cos your reactions slow down !

Its not about slinging around, mainly its just that seeing as we are spending all that money you want to get the spec you ordered, plus it does make cars safer, the Galaxy is a five star rating if you crash but I would prefer we avoid crashing it in the first place, the missus drives the kids to Anglessey without me and it is reassuring to think they are in as safer vehicle as possible.

listen William Wollard!

mate what aload of old fanny

If you had to swerve like that on a busy motorway chances are youd be into the side of waggon anyway.
Im sure its got its uses but you go what 8-9 times a year what have you had to avoid like that?

if you have to avoid something at 4-5 car lenths at fifty miles an hour you should not have a licence, because you should have spotted it earlier
and if its something like a dog or cat that just ran out you wont have the time to look in your mirrors to see if you can pull out.

Im not saying its not useful but the only time its ever come on in the merc is putting your foot down on areally wet day and an orange triangle flashes at you to remind you you are jsut about to pull the skin of a custard
Old 22 January 2008, 08:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

ESP reduces accidents/injury/death and I would also insist on it on a family car. Stick to your guns J4CKO, you want a safe family car, the ESP was part of your decision for a good reason.

ESP would have prevented a rollover accident I had, and also prevented a lift off oversteer incident in a Peugeot on a wet roundabout with spin that did not result in an accident.
Old 22 January 2008, 08:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
listen William Wollard!

mate what aload of old fanny

If you had to swerve like that on a busy motorway chances are youd be into the side of waggon anyway.
Im sure its got its uses but you go what 8-9 times a year what have you had to avoid like that?

if you have to avoid something at 4-5 car lenths at fifty miles an hour you should not have a licence, because you should have spotted it earlier
and if its something like a dog or cat that just ran out you wont have the time to look in your mirrors to see if you can pull out.

Im not saying its not useful but the only time its ever come on in the merc is putting your foot down on areally wet day and an orange triangle flashes at you to remind you you are jsut about to pull the skin of a custard

So all the advances in safety are a waste of time and at all times you will be alert, every other driver wont cause you a problem, what happens when something falls off a truck, like what almost killed my Brother in laws missus, she swerved (in our old Golf), it skidded and went up an embankment sideways that caused it to roll over twice, had she had ESP she may have kept control and avoided internal bleeding, concussion and having most of the sunroof glass removed from her head.

The quote from Thatcham is that,
"ESC can reduce your risk of involvement in a life threatening crash by up to 25%"

Or do you think we should just pay all that money for something that isn't what they said it was when we can hang on and just get one that has it fitted, especially since we can probably get one for the same money from Motorpoint ?
Old 22 January 2008, 09:42 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

whats this "we" business
Old 22 January 2008, 09:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

whats this "we" business

I paid the deposit !
Old 22 January 2008, 09:50 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha quality

I dont know tbh, you have set your heart on it, so get a proprtionate discount to cover the cost of it, plus your hire car you had to get as well whilst you waited.

most modern cars drive quite good i imagine, its not like the ****ters we used to drive 20 years go.

And i expect youll be taking it easy for quite a while as its new anyway.
Old 22 January 2008, 10:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They have offered us a car whilst we waited, I cant imagine they will start trying to give it away as they will still sell it. Just going to look for one with it on, have seen a few, can wait as we have her aunties car until she gets back in 2 weeks and her friends A class Merc we can borrow as long as we need it as I am selling it for her.

Will just wait for the right one.
Old 22 January 2008, 10:30 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

According to honest john they have it on the lx upwards?
dont know if theats right or not,
try motorpoint or fow or in our old office there was new car discount .com dont know what they are like.

Road Tests: Ford S-Max
Old 22 January 2008, 10:54 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Yeh, dont bother with the safety equipment. Its not like you'll need it everyday. Airbags, ABS, ESP, etc.

Infact, dont bother with a spare wheel either, not like your gonna need it everyday.

Oh, hangon, the ONE DAY you DO need it, guess what, it wont be there and you may end up dying because of it.

If you really want the extra safety given by ESP, dont go for a discount to cover it not being there, as this wont be enough to cover the cost of a decent headstone.
Old 23 January 2008, 12:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Yeh, dont bother with the safety equipment. Its not like you'll need it everyday. Airbags, ABS, ESP, etc.

Infact, dont bother with a spare wheel either, not like your gonna need it everyday.

Oh, hangon, the ONE DAY you DO need it, guess what, it wont be there and you may end up dying because of it.

If you really want the extra safety given by ESP, dont go for a discount to cover it not being there, as this wont be enough to cover the cost of a decent headstone.
My point exactly !

The dealers are about to confirm that it hasnt got it, they are being pretty good and offering to find another or refund the deposit. Fairly certain that it doesnt, cant imagine they have a separate/different system on a car so new.

Incidentally they dont have a spare wheel, they have some foam in a can, we had a tyre burst (me and J4ckos mate) in his works van on the way to anglessey and a platic bag to pick up the chunks of tyre would have been more use, I suspect we overloaded the van, would have been worse if there was anything in the back....
Old 23 January 2008, 12:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

According to honest john they have it on the lx upwards?
dont know if theats right or not,
try motorpoint or fow or in our old office there was new car discount .com dont know what they are like.

Road Tests: Ford S-Max
We are scouring the Autotrader etc, Smax is nice but a bit pointless, if you are saddled with a people carrier you might as well have one that isnt compromised to make it 'sporty', its like racing stripes on a commode.
Old 23 January 2008, 03:19 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Just put a deposit down on a Toyota Verso SR (diesel one, with a million airbags, ESP and all the other guff - rated best and safest in category by Which and JD Power). Has 7 seats and is a really top car. Worth a look in case the Ford takes ages to find....

Dave
Old 23 January 2008, 07:17 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i thought you mentioned on the phone you wanted an smax and not a galaxy

The grand picasso has all the safety bits on and that lane wandering thing that vibrates the seat.
Old 23 January 2008, 07:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Druddle, is the Verso much smaller than the Galaxy, will take a proper look but we like having the full 7 seats rather than 5 + 2 occasional, will do some reading.

We thought about the S-Max when it came out but went to see one and it was next to a Galaxy in the Showroom it just seemed that you got more for your money and we do end up carting stuff around in it, plus the kids are getting bigger, some of eldest mates are not far off as tall as me.
Old 23 January 2008, 09:10 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Jacko

Yeah its smaller, more of a 5 + 2 occassional really but i could fit in the rear 2 in the dealer yesterday quite comfortably (although I wouldnt want to go an hour down the motorway in it !!!). Comparable models are the Zafira and the Mazda 5. The Verso SR we bought has good deals on finance (0%) at the moment and has about a 3 week lead time.

They hold their value so well that it was not worth us looking for a used one.

Dave