Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HEADS UP NUMBER PLATE CRACKDOWN

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2008, 04:20 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HEADS UP NUMBER PLATE CRACKDOWN

Was told yesterday that starting next month the plod are doing a nationwide crackdown on illegal show style 'plates. Anyone else heard anything? Maybe the few boys in blue who post on here can enlighten us?
Old 22 January 2008, 04:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a shame, that's my boss stuffed then
Old 22 January 2008, 04:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

The Met have always been easy going on them, but im not gonna push my luck lol
Old 22 January 2008, 04:31 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

well theres nothings else for them to be doing is there?

BBC NEWS | England | Lancashire | Girl stabbed in 'frenzied' attack

BBC NEWS | England | Wear | Boy guilty of disabled man murder

BBC NEWS | England | London | Three held over street stab death
Old 22 January 2008, 04:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol what exactly should they be doing about that?

I do take crime seriously but put 1000 police on a case with little evidence or much to follow up on.................. why?

There are more than enough to deal with all cases. Sadly stopping nicking people for smaller offences will not stop people getting stabbed, robbing banks, or raping people. Cant have a cop on every corner.

besides, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about
Old 22 January 2008, 05:06 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

I do take crime seriously but put 1000 police on a case with little evidence or much to follow up on.................. why?
I think the point is that there could be a 1000 more police on the beat, with the focus on presenting a strong presence, thus preventing such crimes from ever happening, rather than focusing on Private or show number plates.

The way I see it it,is that you sort out serious crime and work your way down, rather than focus on whether someone has "knackers" as a number plate in the wrong font and work your way up.

Unfortunatly, it's all target drvien policing, which is going to get even worse when reccomendations to have pay related to performance rather than experience in the police force are taken on board.
Old 22 January 2008, 05:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Problem is, as a lot of USA cops would agree, a lot of the time, the people caught for minor stuff, are actually doing other things.

Remember the guy stopped for no tax, and found to have been involved in money laundering. Unregistered car etc, so there was no "trail"

Not always the case and I do agree that there is still way too much serious stuff going on. But in the same breath I dont think people should be able to flaunt minor things just becaus the police have to concentrate on other things.
Old 22 January 2008, 05:14 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

There are more than enough to deal with all cases. Sadly stopping nicking people for smaller offences will not stop people getting stabbed, robbing banks, or raping people. Cant have a cop on every corner.

besides, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about
Im sorry but you can stop big crimes by having more police on the street and not having them chase smaller crimes that do not lead to someone being killed.

I know what this crackdown will mean, they will have targets that they must meet or face a good telling off and possibly being put back on the beat. So when they are driving down the road one day and a group of hoodies walk one way down the road, then a car with a private plate in-correctly spaced drives the other way, my bet is they chase the car and fine him £60 to meet their targets. Now the group of hoodies could be doing no harm at all, but the odds of them carrying on their journey only to commit a more serious offence are much higher than the drivers.

Thats my view anyway
Old 22 January 2008, 05:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Fair enough mate. Its a tough one I guess.
Stretching resources that are already stretched.

Would be nice if the courts did and were able to impose bigger sentances, and stop letting repeat offenders off.
Old 22 January 2008, 05:22 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Sometimes there arent even enough cops to even SEND to a crime scene. Let alone solve it!
Old 22 January 2008, 06:07 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'm not going to pick on Snazy, as I can see where he is coming from...even though it was a little unfortunate to say "lol what exactly should they be doing about that?" (there is an obvious answer to that)

I'm just a normal member of the public, but all jobs are more or less the same. You have things to do, and only so much time to do it. There are really important things that must be done, and unimportant things that can be put off.

The police would lead us to believe that their resources are stretched and they need more people. Then they tell us they have time to look at the shape of letters on number plates. If its really blatant and a real problem, then fine, but apart from that there are more important things to do.

If you are struggling for what to do with your time, foot patrols during the twilight hours of the housing estates around us would be really appreciated. Please don't stop when you stop a wrongly spaced number plate, keep walking. The extra metres you cover from not stopped may just let you catch the burglars, druggies and chav gangs from going about their business.
Old 22 January 2008, 06:12 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

At the end of the day its to make sure people cant avoid the ever increasing number of cameras and cctv thats waiting to fine you!

They are looking after their own pockets, makes me wonder why i pay council tax!
Old 22 January 2008, 06:34 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
At the end of the day its to make sure people cant avoid the ever increasing number of cameras and cctv thats waiting to fine you!

They are looking after their own pockets, makes me wonder why i pay council tax!

But on the plus side ANPR is by far the best way to catch unisured scum and those with no tax or MOT.
Some of these are using plates that ANPR can't read although unreadable plates are flagged to stop too.

Cheers
Lee
Old 22 January 2008, 08:09 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

i havnt had a number plate on the front of my car for 8months now iv been stoped once but they didnt notice ive seen no end of police and touch wood not one of them has had me about it
Old 22 January 2008, 08:16 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I got a fine for having VEV 1L spaced as V EV1L.

It is quite legible IMHO, but can't really complain as it is not correctly spaced.

I would have thought Anglesey police could have found less legible plates to pull though...
Old 22 January 2008, 08:24 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

little tip if your brave broken number plate (last digit missing by accident ) £30 fine no points , show plates incorrectly spaced,size screws altering the letter fine and points,

now i no this wont go down well with some but just say your front and rear plate where broken at one corner so last digit cannot be read get some new plates made up keep in boot with pack ov number plate screws

plates cannot be read properly but not damaged enough to get a good reg and if ya get stopped the new plates are in the boot and your gonna fit them when you get home

no reg no summons no nips in the post you no the script

Old 22 January 2008, 08:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the punishment for buggering about with your reg plate is high enough as it makes you look a bit of a sad case, except in a few isolated cases.
Old 22 January 2008, 09:16 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

In Yorkshire they are clamping down on plates that have any logo at the side other than a national flag, despite whether the lettering and spacing is legal.
So if they dont like my subaru stars and swoosh then ill get a japanese sun instead
Old 23 January 2008, 07:54 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
In Yorkshire they are clamping down on plates that have any logo at the side other than a national flag, despite whether the lettering and spacing is legal.
So if they dont like my subaru stars and swoosh then ill get a japanese sun instead
Yorkshire is where the initial info came from so maybe there is something going on
Old 23 January 2008, 08:16 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

seems petty, but there are some very stupid people out there who do laughable things to their plates to make a name up saw one yesterday, quite a mild one............."MIKE X" took we a while to realise that it was
M1 KLX, the letter L was totally disfigured to look like an E, and you see the script style plates favoured by the halfords-carpark-corsa-kids, and this is what initiates a clampdown, the line being overstepped.
Old 29 January 2008, 01:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Well my boss' SL is now sporting a correctly spaced number plate and he's sporting a rather sheepish look
Old 29 January 2008, 01:20 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad the police have enough funds and resource to afford the luxury of being able to clamp down on this most heinous of crimes.
Old 29 January 2008, 01:28 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX

This is exactly why they are doing it! They make so much money from the scameras, they cannot lose this income because of illegible plates. Someone's got to pay for EVERYTHING, and that's US the motorist I'm afraid.
Old 29 January 2008, 01:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My only gripe really is what difference does it make if all the characters are together rather than 3-4 or 4-3 (for standard plates)
If it makes a memorable word WITHOUT fooling you to believe a letter is something its not, whats the harm, it can still be read.

Aaah well, the law is the law
Old 29 January 2008, 01:40 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
seems petty, but there are some very stupid people out there who do laughable things to their plates to make a name up saw one yesterday, quite a mild one............."MIKE X" took we a while to realise that it was
M1 KLX, the letter L was totally disfigured to look like an E
But in the event of a serious crime how many extra vehicles would have to be checked to find that one due to the misrepresented character? Not a lot. If you're going to get nicked anyway you may as well put "PAUL F" on your car even though it bears no relationship to any numberplate.
Old 29 January 2008, 01:46 PM
fivealive
BANNED

I believe that you should have a NumberPlate allocated to you when you pass your test, you use the same plate throughout your life.

If you have an extra car you simply buy another plate.
Old 29 January 2008, 01:49 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivealive
I believe that you should have a NumberPlate allocated to you when you pass your test, you use the same plate throughout your life.

Dont see why not
Using it as an age identifier went out the window with private plates
Old 29 January 2008, 01:51 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by fivealive

pete, your plate will be something like "A1" -
Old 29 January 2008, 01:52 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

There's nothing quite so tragic as a Personal Plate that doesn't quite work and has to have dots and dashes strategically added so it looks like it nearly spells something different!
Old 29 January 2008, 01:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
There's nothing quite so tragic as a Personal Plate that doesn't quite work and has to have dots and dashes strategically added so it looks like it nearly spells something different!
I agree, im popping out but will return with a perfect example

Quick Reply: HEADS UP NUMBER PLATE CRACKDOWN