Would you involve the Police - Or not

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2008, 09:02 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Would you involve the Police - Or not

Will try to make this as short as possible

We live on what used to be an old Farm, now a Livery Yard. There are 4 houses and we get on great.

A few years ago the Livery yard was bought by a builder with no social skills whatsoever.

Anyway, over the time he has been here his behaviour has been threatening to all. My immediate neighbour has been told to stop parking her car in the yard by the side of her house, even though she as a legal right to do so.

The Farmhouse owner has been threatened three times, for no reason and when he involved the police, a week later a massive chimney stack was thrown through his window. This was done early so no witnesses. Seems a bit of a coincidence.

The crux of the matter is now with dogs. He has a Irish Staffie which is running around the place. On Saturday my daughter came home from a party, she is 13, and the dog jumped the wall and started to growl at her. She screamed and he came out and said the dog was wanting to play, yeah.

Today, a chap came to see to my computers and said builder promptly told me to get the chap to move his vehicle. I did so and also asked said builder to keep his dog away from my daughter. He then came charging up to me, on my land and said he would do what he liked and would smash my face in, if I told him off about the dog again. Charming fellow. I told him to Pi$$ Off as politely as possible and shut the door in his face.

Thing is, do I report him. This was a threat but what would he do next, based on what happened to the Farmhouse owner. Is it worth it, yet again, should he be allowed to bully and threaten people like this.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Old 21 January 2008, 09:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

This is your daughters safety mate, Yes yes and yes!

If he wants to get funny about it, let him try. Just make the police fully aware of the previous history, and then hope for the best.

Sounds like a proper arrogant ****!
Old 21 January 2008, 09:08 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Cheers Snazy, he has left us alone to date, but my other neighbours as they live on their own have been the brunt of his bullying for a while now.

He is a lunatic, I am sure of it
Old 21 January 2008, 09:09 PM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Yes id go to the Police.

Set up some CCTV cams to gather any evidence on this chap.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:11 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tbh I doubt the police would do a lot and it could inflame things, Poisoned steak? We called the police at our old place as the neighbours threatened my ex with their Alsatian, police had a word, did nothing the neighbours responded by playing loud music until 12 am ev ery night and calling the ex a filthy grassing *****.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:12 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Herbie.
Yes id go to the Police.

Set up some CCTV cams to gather any evidence on this chap.

Good idea
Old 21 January 2008, 09:12 PM
BenGee
Scooby Regular

Like you say what will he do next? If you let him carry on he will just keep pushing his weight around and carry on intimidating yourself and others!

It sounds like a civil matter but get the police involved even if it's just for some advice.

If his dogs are just roaming around free and obviously able to get out of their "secure" area and causing distress to others, then theres surely some sort of law under the dangerous dogs act?

I know its only part of the matter but it might help to show your not taking his crap anymore.

He's obviously just a bully who needs a slap
Old 21 January 2008, 09:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I would talk to your neighbours and all write to or see the police so they understand that this is not a one off/iscolated incident or just two people not getting on.

For the sake of your daughter i would do it sooner rather than later.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:14 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

id leave it until you had hard proof, do the cctv thing. thing is if you goto police now they may have a word with him but it wont be a lot more as no other witness' therefore a civil matter? and that could cause more problems with him, maybe something through your window?? if you leave it and get hard evidence for the police they will be forced to do something and he cant just do something to you/your home.

sorry I just think thats the way id go.

James
Old 21 January 2008, 09:16 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

84 of 300,

Nip down to Halfords.

Purchase a large car sponge.

After your Sunday Roast - soak the sponge in the left over dripping / fat / gravy etc.

Toss it over the wall for said dog to have a go on.

End of problem.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:20 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

He's threatened you, so it's a S4a/S4 public order offence depending on the exact words/behaviour.

It's only your word against his though, but if the crime report came to me I'd nick him. Even if the CPS said no further action due to no other witnesses, him being brought in, put in a cell and interviewed 'may' sort his attitude. It could also make things worse.

Don't be bullied by this idiot.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 21 January 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:21 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

My experiance of the police business ( sorry force) is utter crap. They don't want to know a thing unless they are 100 % sure of getting a result. Anything thats 50 50 is just a waste time and effort because they will report it and do the necessarys but eventually come back with ' there's no more we can do, but feel free do take actions (legal) yourself.

All they want is the easy money/fines
Old 21 January 2008, 09:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

jods

Thanks all, I have proof of todays threat, the computer guy was at the kitchen table fixing my laptop and heard every word

I did speak to the Police for advice and they wanted to log it and go and see him. They took it very seriously indeed.

I said I would think on it and let them know tomorrow. They did admit to having other incidents on him, obviously they would not let me know which ones, but I can hazzard a guess
Old 21 January 2008, 09:23 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Sounds like a right w@nker Lesley. A good kicking is most appropriate in this situation. Perhaps some hired thugs would do the job.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:24 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
My experiance of the police business ( sorry force) is utter crap. They don't want to know a thing unless they are 100 % sure of getting a result. Anything thats 50 50 is just a waste time and effort because they will report it and do the necessarys but eventually come back with ' there's no more we can do, but feel free do take actions (legal) yourself.

All they want is the easy money/fines
That's rubbish. There's an offence and the person should be brought in for it.

The results people are the CPS. People get arrested daily and the CPS reject it.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:25 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Cheers Snazy, he has left us alone to date, but my other neighbours as they live on their own have been the brunt of his bullying for a while now.

He is a lunatic, I am sure of it

With regards to safety I mean the dog dude.
As for the bullying that **** has to stop, cctv not an option ?
Old 21 January 2008, 09:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

jods

Thanks all, I have proof of todays threat, the computer guy was at the kitchen table fixing my laptop and heard every word

I did speak to the Police for advice and they wanted to log it and go and see him. They took it very seriously indeed.

I said I would think on it and let them know tomorrow. They did admit to having other incidents on him, obviously they would not let me know which ones, but I can hazzard a guess
What's the statistic? The average woman is beaten 34 times by her partner before she reports it, as she's sure "he won't do it again".

No "thinking on it" necessary
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a witness id goto the police defo
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Poo in his post box.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:29 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Snazy
With regards to safety I mean the dog dude.
As for the bullying that **** has to stop, cctv not an option ?
The same dog charged at my other neighbour and knocked her flying. She had to have stitches in her elbow. She reported this to the police. No idea what the outcome was.
Again, his response, he is just being friendly and wants to play

So, if anyone mentions the dog, he goes in a rage and threatens violence
Old 21 January 2008, 09:30 PM
HUDDERS1
Scooby Regular

there's only one way to deal with bullies unfortunately you need to come one yourself, bullies like this gentlemen only understand one thing if you know wot i mean.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:33 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Spoon
Poo in his post box.
Who, me or the dog
Old 21 January 2008, 09:33 PM
BenGee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
What's the statistic? The average woman is beaten 34 times by her partner before she reports it, as she's sure "he won't do it again".

No "thinking on it" necessary

Seconded!

Its obviously got to the point of your asking for advice so don't let him get away with it now
Old 21 January 2008, 09:34 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I think you would be best going to the other neighbours and making sure they are onside. Then I suggest you all start keeping a log of his behaviour and gather any other evidence you can. I cannot stress this enough.

To be fair to the police there is a fine line between genuine harassment and two neighbours that don't get on. As such if this starts to turn really nasty you will need as much evidence to back up your case as possible.

Been in a simnilar situation myself many years ago now. It took two years to sort and not until I was sporting a couple of black eyes for my efforts and enduring numerous examples of harassment such as having half my lean to roof removed and my water cut off. Yes it can get that bad.

TBH a lack of detailed evidence is what prevented it getting sorted sooner hence why I suggest the logging of events and gathering evidence from whereever you can.

Sorry if this alarms you and I sincerely hope it doesn't get that bad, but I also feel you should be wary of what, in a very small percentage of cases, can happen and be as prepared as you can be.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:36 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by HUDDERS1
there's only one way to deal with bullies unfortunately you need to come one yourself, bullies like this gentlemen only understand one thing if you know wot i mean.
I've always stood my ground with him. This is the first time he has threatened to "smash my face in".
Old 21 January 2008, 09:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Will try to make this as short as possible

We live on what used to be an old Farm, now a Livery Yard. There are 4 houses and we get on great.

A few years ago the Livery yard was bought by a builder with no social skills whatsoever.

Anyway, over the time he has been here his behaviour has been threatening to all. My immediate neighbour has been told to stop parking her car in the yard by the side of her house, even though she as a legal right to do so.

The Farmhouse owner has been threatened three times, for no reason and when he involved the police, a week later a massive chimney stack was thrown through his window. This was done early so no witnesses. Seems a bit of a coincidence.

The crux of the matter is now with dogs. He has a Irish Staffie which is running around the place. On Saturday my daughter came home from a party, she is 13, and the dog jumped the wall and started to growl at her. She screamed and he came out and said the dog was wanting to play, yeah.

Today, a chap came to see to my computers and said builder promptly told me to get the chap to move his vehicle. I did so and also asked said builder to keep his dog away from my daughter. He then came charging up to me, on my land and said he would do what he liked and would smash my face in, if I told him off about the dog again. Charming fellow. I told him to Pi$$ Off as politely as possible and shut the door in his face.

Thing is, do I report him. This was a threat but what would he do next, based on what happened to the Farmhouse owner. Is it worth it, yet again, should he be allowed to bully and threaten people like this.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated
I wouldnt bother not much the police could do - hes just a foul mouth thug by the sounds of it id play it down theres 4 of you and 1 of him
- unless of course this dog is illegal
Old 21 January 2008, 09:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a builder threatening to beat up a woman is quite enough.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:42 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

The dog is not illegal, dpb, just not under control

The sad side of all this mess is his daughter and my daughter have been good friends since he bought the Livery Yard.

She gets Christmas and birthday pressies off us and virtually lived in our house. No sign of her today though

To bring the children into makes me think he is eve more childish than I thought as well as being an out and out bully
Old 21 January 2008, 09:42 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

an irish staffie = a pitbull, it's just another name!, is he a pikey?,..buy youreself 2 pitbulls, as for the threatening behaviour by him next time he threatens to "smash youre face in" accept the offer, chances are you will hit him once and he'll cry.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:43 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I think a builder threatening to beat up a woman is quite enough.

That is what has bothered me the most. He is a big bloke and to threaten a woman is, well, words fail me.

Thankfully, kids were at school and college when it happened

Quick Reply: Would you involve the Police - Or not