Any car sales people here ? Help with negotations

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2008, 04:03 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any car sales people here ? Help with negotations

Hello

I am looking at buying a new car (Toyota). I am looking at taking their 0% finance option that means you have to put a 30% deposit down.

Now i know that someone somewhere (Toyota dealer or Toyota Finance) will be paying the interest for me, so what sort of discount is reasonable to expect on the RRP of the car ? It started at 18695 and the salesman knocked 300 off, but is there any more room for improvement ? Am i not going to get any more off due to the 0% finance ?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Old 12 January 2008, 04:09 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

It may depend on the time of month {hitting targets etc}, the model {if it is popular etc} and the dealership itself, what I would suggest is have a look around on the internet at places like drive the deal, autobytel etc and see what prices they are offering then you will have a target to aim for, plus if oyu have no part ex you could be in a better position as alot of the internet place dont want part ex's.
Old 12 January 2008, 04:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What car you getting ??
Old 12 January 2008, 04:16 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Have looked at some places - thanks for the names Paul - and Drive The Deal can supply the car new for 15880. With finance or the lowest rate loan it still ends up being over 20k though.

The thing I want to get my head around is that if the dealer is offering 0% finance, then how much flexibility have they got on the RRP ?
Old 12 January 2008, 04:18 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
What car you getting ??
Corolla Verso SR 2.2 Diesel
Old 12 January 2008, 04:27 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

When we bought our car we haggled and haggled and haggled then walked. They rang us at home later on and the next day and every time the price went down a little further. We took this price to another dealer and asked if they could match it, they did and more. Instead of the pre registered car that the other dealer was offering we got a brand new one with lots more options for less than the first one. In effect we probably saved 3k on the price of the first one and 5k on list price

They'll tell you that they can only offer you the astounding deal if you sign now, of course that's rubbish and purely designed to panic you into signing. The first dealer told us that he could only hold his first offer open for an hour, two days later he was still phoning us and offering a better deal each time.

I guess it depends on the car/time of year/targets etc etc but you'll be surprised at what you can get away with, if you don't ask you don't get

PS. I sell boats for a living and I'm never offended if I get offered 10k below the asking price, sometimes it gets a yes and sometimes a no, it all depends on how desperate I am for the sale

Last edited by Scoobychick; 12 January 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12 January 2008, 04:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by druddle
Corolla Verso SR 2.2 Diesel
NICE

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2008, 04:59 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick

PS. I sell boats for a living and I'm never offended if I get offered 10k below the asking price, sometimes it gets a yes and sometimes a no, it all depends on how desperate I am for the sale
Do you ever get a sinking feeling when one falls through though?
Old 12 January 2008, 05:07 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Boom boom
Old 12 January 2008, 05:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, it is almost always cheaper to get a loan from the Bank and walk in with cash on the hip.

The Finance has charges attached to it - bear that in mind and a Bank loan has no charges whatsoever.

Worth doing your maths. Best bet is to borrow from Mum and Dad at 0% - offer the dealer the price you can get it online - start to walk out the door and watch the salesman grab your leg and be willing to be dragged down the road hanging onto you
Old 12 January 2008, 05:20 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Well so far in the last hour I have got £600 off list plus free mats, tank of fuel and a car avaialble this week....

Plus I have found it online at Drive The Deal for £15894. If only my parents were loaded
Old 25 January 2008, 06:14 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Did you buy it in the end? They are doing a deal on the 1.8 version along with the 0% finance and I want to swap out my wife's car.

Steve
Old 25 January 2008, 08:52 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I'm a sales manager and will do a deal, normally toward the end of the month when we're chasing target (read bonus). Go in on the 24th or 25th of the month and then be prepared to walk. Often sales managers will be allotted discounts to play with and are often banked for month's end. The key thing to remember (particularly in January and the current, nervy climate) is that there are stacks of Corollas and much fewer buyers. Don't concern yourself with the fact that you're taking the 0% option, just go in and take liberties with the salesman. Good luck.
Old 25 January 2008, 08:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Just looked at the date of the post, I trust all went well.
Old 25 January 2008, 11:21 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wouldn't the 0% deal be from Toyota Finance i.e. parent company, so the stealer should still have room to give you something?
Old 25 January 2008, 11:57 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

any catches with drivethedeal? does the dealer still take a px if you use drivethedeal?
Old 26 January 2008, 08:13 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
any catches with drivethedeal? does the dealer still take a px if you use drivethedeal?
I've bought from DTD before and it was excellent. Think of DTD as being people who haggle for you, and that's the lot. however, as with all of these, it is better to not p/x as every dealer will give a slightly different value on a p/x car - and thus by using DtD you rely on the dealer you are buying the car from giving you a decent deal.

The good thing is you can use the service to find out what you would pay via DtD, then speak tot eh dealer (since that is all they do, put the dealer in touch with you and get their cash from the dealer), you tell the dealer your p/x, and see what he offers. Just be honest about the p/ex and you may get lucky. If nothing else, it gives you some credibility.

I remember when buying cars before with DtD that if you tried to print out the page of the quote to use as leverage with a local dealer, the price never printed out. But if you took a screen grab of the screen and pasted it into Word, for example, it would work.

Our first car purchased with a broker was DtD in 2002. We were in Surrey, the supplying dealer in Peterborough, and they stuck the 307 on a flatbed and brought it down to me, all as part of the cost. That was nice...
Old 26 January 2008, 08:34 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info, were you not concerned about your new car having any damage on etc? could you refuse delivery if there was a big problem?
Old 26 January 2008, 12:11 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

The suppling dealer, the transporter driver, and the customer should all have individual forms that they have to check and sign regarding the condition of the vehicle. The transporter driver will do everything in their power to ensure no damage comes to the vehicle as their bonuses depend on it!
Old 26 January 2008, 02:19 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

excellent seems like an easier way of getting a decent discount than playing arab market stall owner with the sales reps.
Old 27 January 2008, 12:46 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

I always talk to at least 3 garages and use the internet.

Just keep saying "No, I want more off" very nicely and you'll get it even on a BMW or Merc especially in the last week of the month where, sometimes, just selling one more car can trigger several thousand pounds extra in bonuses for the dealer so you can get a deal where the car is sold to you at a loss.
Old 27 January 2008, 01:30 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
The suppling dealer, the transporter driver, and the customer should all have individual forms that they have to check and sign regarding the condition of the vehicle. The transporter driver will do everything in their power to ensure no damage comes to the vehicle as their bonuses depend on it!
Worth reading the terms and conditions of the internet seller. Ive read some that say if the vehicle is damaged on delivery, they will take no responsibility. Could get messy!

Again, not sure if the buyer has bought yet and as someone has already said, the 0% will be taken care of by Toyota Finance and the dealer should still have a hefty margin to play with.

A good friend of mine works for a Toyota dealer, if you would like his price, pm me
Old 27 January 2008, 09:26 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Sorry havent been on here for a while. Ordered the car, after alot of negotiation. Managed to get 1400 quid off, plus took Toyota finance and got 1000 quid back. Also managed to get a much lower rate on the finance so it made it a good deal. Got a Halifax 0% for 15 months on new purchases credit card and fut a few thousand deposit down.

Dealer wasnt going to move but I told him I was going to order that day from Drive The Deal and that another Toyota dealer locally had offered me a better deal.

All in all a successful purchase.

Dave
Old 27 January 2008, 10:18 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Great news Dave, a little negotiation and not being afraid to walk will always produce you a winner IMO.

May you have plenty of happy miles driving.
Old 27 January 2008, 09:29 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Its my wifes 4th new car in as many years (brand new Yaris, leased Golf, 1 year old Focus and now the Toyota) so I think I am getting the bum deal. I have had my Leon Cupra R for 4 years now and it goes back in 3 weeks, then I will get the 1.4 Focus for my wheels........

Something tells me a trade in will happen quite soon....