Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Employment Contact - Working Hours

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2008, 07:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Employment Contact - Working Hours

Can an Employment Contract say that working hours are say 9.00 to 5.30 but that you will be expected to work extra hours if workload demands it? This in private sector. Seems a bit too open ended to me? dl
Old 09 January 2008, 07:35 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I work in IT and the contract I signed said that I may be required to work out of hours on occasions. Not exactly the same but similar. It comes with the job so I had no problems signing it.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:38 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Yes they can, mine has that as well as them being able to dictate certain holidays while also having the added benefit of relocating me to anywhere in the world (including third world sh1tholes)
Old 09 January 2008, 07:40 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

think of the money
Old 09 January 2008, 07:40 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Mine says 'may' not 'will' big difference but it is fairly standard in employment contracts has been for as long as I have been in work (some 20 odd years)
Old 09 January 2008, 07:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazza-uk
think of the money
I don't think there is any intention of paying any extra for this.

For my daughter btw. Her first proper job so I was just doing some homework 'cos she would never ask. And she would work through the night* if they asked her I am sure. d

* No smutty jokes p l e a s e........
Old 09 January 2008, 07:47 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think that open ended wording is quite common. My contract states my contracted hours (not the actual times but amount of hours), but says I must be available to work more if required, and be flexible to change my normal working time with 24 hours notice, if possible.

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2008, 07:51 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by David Lock
I don't think there is any intention of paying any extra for this.

For my daughter btw. Her first proper job so I was just doing some homework 'cos she would never ask. And she would work through the night* if they asked her I am sure. d

* No smutty jokes p l e a s e........
I'm no expert, but unless her job is salaried (sp), she would have to be paid for any extra hours worked. It's bloody slave labour expecting people to work without pay.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

She willl be on a salary.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:56 PM
Lisawrx

Then I'm not sure, I know the managers at my work are salaried, and they don't get paid for extra hours worked, but they can take time off to make up for the extra they have worked.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:07 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

#Warning - Serious Reply - Some Snetters May be Offended #

dl, it's all about 'reasonable' implied terms, so a company can state things like this 'variable hours' but it's their responsibility to ensure reasonable notice is given to the individual in relation to the extra work...
Old 09 January 2008, 08:16 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
. It's bloody slave labour expecting people to work without pay.
It funny that expecting people to work a an extra hour or two is considered serious when most English people do as little as possible while they are at work but still expect to get paid. I especially like those that think its funny to boast about spending as much time as possible in the toilet at work.
At least the Polish can come and take all the lazy Englishers jobs.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:23 PM
Lisawrx

It really depends on whether its an extra hour or two, or alot more. I will not speak for others, but while at work I work extremely hard and earn my money, but yes I'd expect paid for working extra.

For example, if I'm in for 8 hours, I wouldn't say to my boss, just pay me for 6.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I have contracted hours, and the proviso, that extra hours may be needed to meet operational requirements, I do however get paid for them.

some of my colleagues, on differing grades, dont get paid for extra hours

mart
Old 09 January 2008, 08:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=DCI Gene Hunt;7545686]#Warning - Serious Reply - Some Snetters May be Offended #

Steady on old boy..........

thanks
Old 10 January 2008, 07:43 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
It funny that expecting people to work a an extra hour or two is considered serious when most English people do as little as possible while they are at work but still expect to get paid. I especially like those that think its funny to boast about spending as much time as possible in the toilet at work.
erm, tell you what, come experience a night at my work (warehousing and distribution), which has a mixture of "lazy englishers" and polish.

then after witnessing what you see, i dare you to call the englishers lazy compared to the polich workers...

david, my contract is flexable, but not salaried. basically i do 5 8 hour night shifts, but with 24 hours notice, my company can make me work 4 hours extra per shift (max 48 hour week). so in essence two 12 hour shifts a week with 24 hours notice of both. this is called "flexing up".

however, with 24 hours notice if the workload is low, they can also "flex" you down with 24 hours notice, for usually the whole 8 hour shift, or last 4 hours. but as my jobs so sh*tty, they would usually announce "flexing down" 20 mins before they wish to do it, and youll still get a stack of people (inc me) wanting to go home.
Old 10 January 2008, 08:05 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Did you say Polish and hard working in the same sentance? In my experience it takes 4 of them twice as long to do one mans work. Then it takes 2 English men to take apart what they've done and put it back together correctly.

I'm all for Polish labour. I've never had so much work since they started ballsing up.
Old 10 January 2008, 09:10 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Did you say Polish and hard working in the same sentance? In my experience it takes 4 of them twice as long to do one mans work. Then it takes 2 English men to take apart what they've done and put it back together correctly.

I'm all for Polish labour. I've never had so much work since they started ballsing up.
i think genrally, and this may be a sweeping statement, their intelligence just isnt there

at my place the language barrier is terrible, and the lack of common sence is astounding. we use various moving machinary (m.h.e.), which we drive around. the poor sods dont realise human vs metal isnt a win win for them
Old 10 January 2008, 09:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Can an Employment Contract say that working hours are say 9.00 to 5.30 but that you will be expected to work extra hours if workload demands it? This in private sector. Seems a bit too open ended to me? dl
Completely standard mate, exactly what mine says - And I don't get paid overtime
Old 10 January 2008, 01:05 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Mine says "occasional evening and weekend work". I think it would depend how "occasional" it will be.

I would be worried that they just put loads of extra work on you and make you work longer hours cos you signed a contract saying so!
Old 17 January 2008, 10:10 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sod it - what I hoped wouldn't happen has.......

So my gal started this first real job this week. Quite a slog commuting to London (1 hour 20 mins, and that's just train time) but she knew this before and will put up with it.

She starts at 9 and is supposed to finish at 5.30 but the firm seem to have some culture of not leaving before about 6.45 - 7, not because they are especially busy but it's "just the way" they operate. That means she gets back home after 9 and is complety knackered. Just some food and then off to bed ready for a 6.30 am start.

She's a big girl now and has to make her own bed. But if she did ask me for advice what should I say?

Get out and look for something else?

Put up with it and see how it works out?

Note she is no quitter and would stick it out but on the other hand she would not dream of complaining/questioning the long hours. d
Old 17 January 2008, 10:21 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If they're not busy, she should walk out at 5:30 , at least 3 nights a week...

She could suggest that she's got a gym membership or something on the way home if an 'excuse' would make her feel better about it...
Old 17 January 2008, 10:24 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to London. From what I hear, that's simply the culture.

Friend of mine left law school with a pretty good mark (not astounding) and got himself a job in an international firm, we were all jealous as hell. A few years later he and his wife decided to move back to her roots in Wales, he moved to a little local law firm. I asked him why he ditched such a dream job and he replied "because I was sick of getting home at 10pm every night." And he only lived about 15 mins from the office. This was in the early 90s.

She can try and fight it, but I don't hold out much hope for her winning.

I'm in public sector, reason being because I value my health and my hairline above my salary.
Old 17 January 2008, 10:30 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
If they're not busy, she should walk out at 5:30 , at least 3 nights a week...

She could suggest that she's got a gym membership or something on the way home if an 'excuse' would make her feel better about it...
I sort of agree with you but she is quite conscientious and I know she wouldn't do that.

I've suggested that she packs up at 6 and says to the boss "Well I'm off now unless you need me?"

I also gave her my old trick of grabbing some envelopes and rushing out with the words "Gotta go or I'll miss the post!"

It's basically thoughtless management and I have seen it so often in my own career. P1sses me off. d
Old 17 January 2008, 11:18 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

my mrs has exactly the same. Its a standard 8.5 hour day with an hours lunch, however she may from time to time be expected to work additional hours as and when required.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:42 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Not just London - same most places. Where I am, the amount of people who leave on time is very few. We have contracted hours of work as 830 -5pm, but I like to start work at between 7 and 7.30 and finish when I feel I have done what I needed to do - generally between 5.30 and up to about 8 or 9 at night. We have a lunch 'hour' but I eat and work at my desk...

In my mind it's about responsibility - I have a job to do and I'll do what I need to to get it done. If it takes 12 hours in a day then so be it. If I was to do it every night, then maybe I'd question things, but it varies.

I do believe in this modern world, this is very much the norm and without liking it or hating it, I think flexibility is required to get on. No-one really knows if the bosses are watching and marking someone's card if you arrive and leave on the dot. Some do not care, others do. I'd prefer to be in the latter category - just in case, yet I still aim to get home to put the kids in bed at least 3 nights a week.

Then again, I have events at weekends that can take me away - that again is part of the job. I have a choice - stay or leave...
Old 17 January 2008, 11:51 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I cannot abide that culture. It happens everywhere, I quite like the fact now as a consultant I'm not employed by the client so come and go as I please, a bit like a contractor.

I bet most people in the office would love to go at 5:30 but someone has to make the first move. It's only when you realise your worth that you can stand up and get going early.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:56 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

My old contract was along the lines of you will work where and when we say. I have slept in the office on occasions and worked 7 days a week solid for quite a few weeks in a row. Found myself driving up and down the motorway network at 4am to get to meetings etc and the driving back home and getting in at 10 - 11pm.

Totally sick of it - so now I work for myself - its the only way.
Old 17 January 2008, 12:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At work we had a problem just before shift takeover, 2 of us from the day shift stayed on for an extra 5 or so hours, we were given overtime for this extra work and had a works recognition (certificate and gift voucher) for going beyond our normal duties.
Reallistically this doesnt happen alot at work, but if you do a 9-5 job and thats your contracted hours, then that is all you need to do, if you exceed these hours then its up to the higher management to compenstate if the workload is excessive (ie overtime) if not then id just go home, sorry to say but getting free work out of someone who could be sharing/spending that time with loved ones isnt on, family takes priority and its nice when a company recognises that (i have a life outside work you know )

Tony
Old 17 January 2008, 12:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK- thanks for comments. I don't want to give the impression that she is some kind on whinging wimp that can't wait to get out of the door at 5.30. She would work on till midnight every now and again if the job demanded it without complaining. It's just this stupid philosophy of late every night which hacks me - and her! - off.

Plus what I didn't say earlier is the fact that the office seems deadly dull with hardly any chit chat, what I would call light banter which makes all the difference to a working day. In this respect I have suggested she just hangs on in there as it's too early to make any real judgements, although I don't see it changing.

So all in all I think she should look elsewhere but then she would think she was a failure..... Now where's that lottery ticket?

Quick Reply: Employment Contact - Working Hours