Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Do you pay extra off your mortgage?
None
37.70%
<10%
4.92%
10-30%
18.03%
30-60%
8.20%
60-100%
3.28%
>100%
8.20%
None but will be doing soon
19.67%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Do you pay extra off your mortgage?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2008, 03:24 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you pay extra off your mortgage?

With the current climate etc just wondering what peoples response to this is and also what your thoughts on it are. Mine are to pay it off as fast as possible and never get another if I can!
Old 08 January 2008, 03:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

That was my plan when I/we had 2 incomes, be mortgage free by 40ish, since being single and taking on a larger mortgage to pay the other one off I cant contribute to paying extra off and living a party lifestyle at the same time
Old 08 January 2008, 03:49 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest the last option will be most popular. In the same way as people will say "I'm thinking about joining a gym".
Old 08 January 2008, 03:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

When I got my Mortage out 5 years ago at a fixed rate, I made sure I was able to pay extra each month. Could have payed an extra £500 each month, but didn't. New cars saw to that.

I've just changed my mortgage in November to a Offset mortgage. So savings will allow me to pay off the mortgage off early. Current deal is 20 years. With savings as they are, I should pay it off 8 years early while still having the savings pot left.

Doesn't suit everybody but deffo worth looking into.
Old 08 January 2008, 04:30 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you pay off more than 100%?
Old 08 January 2008, 04:38 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I'd recommend to anybody who has a mortgage, to draw themselves up a spreadsheet showing regular monthly payments, the proportion of each payment which is interest and which is capital, and the cumulative interest paid over the term of the mortgage.

I have quite a complex one which lets me enter details of my payments every month, changes in interest rate, overpayments, additional borrowing and so on, and which calculates both what I still owe and the cumulative interest I've paid (or should expect to pay in future). It's great for keeping track and doing 'what if?' calculations.

If anybody's interested I'll post a generic version that'll let you put in your own figures. It can be quite an eye-opener...
Old 08 January 2008, 04:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
How can you pay off more than 100%?
Presumably, actual payment each month = more than 2x the required payment.

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2008, 04:45 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Presumably, actual payment each month = more than 2x the required payment.
Ah..I read it as mortgage rather than monthly payment

Been a long day
Old 08 January 2008, 05:27 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

An interesting response, I think mortgages are one of the biggest rip offs going and the more people that pay off extra the better. I guess it would crush the economy though! I was shocked when I first looked into it - even a small extra payment of 5 to 10% cuts it down by years! For most people thats an extra £50 to £100 a month!

There is a handy calculator (not that detailed though) here:
Overpayments Calculator - Homebuying - 4Money from channel4.com
Old 08 January 2008, 05:34 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

First vote for over 100%.

It's not a massive motgage so many will be paying far more off.

I've paid as much as I can from the beginning.

Minimum payment is now £187 a month and I pay between £600-£1000 a month. Two to three years should have it finished and I still have an endowment that will mature in 9 years time.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 January 2008, 05:48 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

I've thought about this. Isnt the money you're paying extra at the moment "worth" more than still paying for those extra few years?

System 1) You pay 100 extra on top of your monthly 500 payments. You pay it off 5 years early.

System 2) You pay 500 a month for 5 years extra. But 500 a month in 20 years is bugger all anyway. You put 100 a month into savings for 25 years.

Obviously my figures are out of whack as I've not really sat down and worked it out. Has anyone here run the numbers, or is my idea of option 2 just silly?

J
Old 08 January 2008, 06:16 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
With the current climate etc just wondering what peoples response to this is and also what your thoughts on it are. Mine are to pay it off as fast as possible and never get another if I can!
Buzzwords are "be flexible", I think. Banks MUST sell mortgages. If they don't, their competitors will.

Once (or if) the outstanding capital is below say 70% of the assessed value, it should be easy to re-mortgage elsewhere.

At the moment valuations are high because realistically, mortgage lending rates will remain low. (or lower than historical high fluctuations). My SVR was 15.4% when I first bought in 1990. Discounted by 2% to 13.4% for the first 6 months!

Part of the problem is that the "old rules" describing how much you could borrow were never updated to take account of predicted stability of lending rates. Rather, when they needed to be competitive, they scrunched them into a ball and threw them away. Hence, you can or could "self cert" your income to obtain a mortgage.

J.
Old 08 January 2008, 06:27 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Bit of a daft question for members of this forum.

Have you seen the group buys and for sale section recently.
Old 08 January 2008, 06:36 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules
I've thought about this. Isnt the money you're paying extra at the moment "worth" more than still paying for those extra few years?

System 1) You pay 100 extra on top of your monthly 500 payments. You pay it off 5 years early.

System 2) You pay 500 a month for 5 years extra. But 500 a month in 20 years is bugger all anyway. You put 100 a month into savings for 25 years.

Obviously my figures are out of whack as I've not really sat down and worked it out. Has anyone here run the numbers, or is my idea of option 2 just silly?

J
But say you don't pay the £100 extra this month, you will be paying interest on that £100 and interest on the interest every year until you mortgage is paid off.
Look at the amount you borrowed and the total amount you pay back to put your mind at ease.
Also look at the mortagage interest rate and your average wage increase and the interest you could get on savings. Paying off as much as you can as soon as you can is the way to go if your mortgage is flexible enough.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 January 2008, 07:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm on a flexible repayment, anything I earn comes off it, anything I spend is added. Hoping to kill it in 7-9 years. Cleared £12k off it since getting rid of the Scoob
Old 08 January 2008, 07:39 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Life's too short to sacrifice holidays/cars/toys for and prioritise your mortgage instead. It may be logical but its no fun - and you could get run over by a bus tomorr! D
Old 08 January 2008, 07:49 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Life's too short to sacrifice holidays/cars/toys for and prioritise your mortgage instead. It may be logical but its no fun - and you could get run over by a bus tomorr! D
It's not a question of doing without it's just that it's better to pay more off than put it in the bank or some investment scheme.

I dont have any other finance so spare monthly money goes off the mortgage and saves more money than it would make if invested.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 January 2008, 08:03 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Agree with that Lee - no point having savings when you have a massive debt! D
Old 08 January 2008, 08:11 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Agreed - you have to strike a balance. Personally I'm trying to pay off the house early so I can treat myself to a proper toy when I turn 40. (If it were this year I'd have my name down for a Nissan GT-R, in black please - and don't bother to wrap it!).

As promised, I've put together a spreadsheet that works out monthly payments, cumulative interest paid and other interesting figures over the course of a long-term loan. If anyone's interested, PM me your email address and I'll send it over.
Old 08 January 2008, 08:43 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I paid my mortgage off I'd have to pay an extra 12 grand a year in income tax. Not bloody likely! :

I have (conservatively) projected that the initial sum borrowed will be the equivalent of around 6 month's income by the time it needs to be paid back.
Old 08 January 2008, 08:46 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Income tax V mortgage - how does that work?
Old 08 January 2008, 08:47 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Income tax V mortgage - how does that work?
Still have MIRAS where I live.
Old 08 January 2008, 09:20 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I'd recommend to anybody who has a mortgage, to draw themselves up a spreadsheet showing regular monthly payments, the proportion of each payment which is interest and which is capital, and the cumulative interest paid over the term of the mortgage.

I have quite a complex one which lets me enter details of my payments every month, changes in interest rate, overpayments, additional borrowing and so on, and which calculates both what I still owe and the cumulative interest I've paid (or should expect to pay in future). It's great for keeping track and doing 'what if?' calculations.

If anybody's interested I'll post a generic version that'll let you put in your own figures. It can be quite an eye-opener...
Andyc, YEAH man i would like a copy of this if you don't mind. Can you PM is to me ? Cheers
Old 08 January 2008, 09:25 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Still have MIRAS where I live.
I remember that! Still you only save on a portion of the interest 'money wasted'... Where are you Sursh - like the sound of a nice friendly government!

D
Old 08 January 2008, 09:28 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
I remember that! Still you only save on a portion of the interest 'money wasted'... Where are you Sursh - like the sound of a nice friendly government!

D
NL. The net mortgage rate I pay is considerably less than what I receive on my savings account.

- sorry about the ***** waving!
Old 08 January 2008, 09:29 PM
FriarTook
BANNED

Best thing I ever did was to take out a Flexible Mortgage ..... I paid every spare penny off the debt - it disappeared within 7 years rather than the planned 25 years!!!!

18 Years of no payments anymore! That is a lot of money saved - I think the interest was £435 a month ..... a saving of 18 x 12 x £435 = £93,960!!!!!

The savings are quite staggering! It's only when you do the Maths that it becomes a no-brainer .....
Old 08 January 2008, 09:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Reminder: if anyone would like a copy of my spreadsheet that works it out for you, I need your email address!
Old 09 January 2008, 12:10 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

NL. The net mortgage rate I pay is considerably less than what I receive on my savings account.
- sorry about the ***** waving!
I take it the savings account is in a different country with - if not you need to write one of those 'how to get rich quick' books, and I'm coming over!

D
Old 09 January 2008, 12:22 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

If I paid my mortgage off I'd have to pay an extra 12 grand a year in income tax. Not bloody likely! :

I have (conservatively) projected that the initial sum borrowed will be the equivalent of around 6 month's income by the time it needs to be paid back.
The initial sum maybe, but how about the initial sum + interest?
Old 09 January 2008, 10:11 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
The initial sum maybe, but how about the initial sum + interest?
Deep, the interest payment side has positive carry for me: Say if my mortgage is 50k and I am lucky enough to have 50k in savings in the bank. I would pay no more that 850 in net interest annually on the mortgage but receive at least 1500 on the savings account. This is an unusual situation to say the least.

Quick Reply: Do you pay extra off your mortgage?