Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BT Feckin Muppets

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2008, 05:17 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Feckin Muppets

Got a £7.50 "one of charge" on my BT bill, just phoned up and got thru to an Indian call centre, who tell me my one off charge is for a late payment...

Late payment, I pay by DD I tell her , she applogoises and tell me the charges are for my FREE caller display ..

After some arguing she refunds my charge for my FREE service
Old 07 January 2008, 06:35 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i had trouble with them bt fools early last year,£7.50 charge for late payment i too pay by dd.
spent ages getting through to the indian call centre spoke to "STEVEN" who barely spoke english after much arguing got charge reversed still dont know why it was put on to this day.
**** uk companies and call centres in banglahore recipe for disaster in my opinion
Old 08 January 2008, 12:50 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

UK companies should, by law, have uk call centres!
Old 08 January 2008, 10:23 PM
quill
Scooby Newbie

If they aint ripping us off with the bill they're ripping us off through the tax man.
In another article it was stated the fraudulently generated calls cost us (the tax payer) £8m.
BT call centre cover-up | This is Money
BT call centre cover-up
14 September 2007

BT covered up a massive fraud by call-centre staff to ensure it held on to a contract worth more than £1billion, a tribunal was told yesterday.

Staff made millions of false calls to themselves in order to meet bonus-linked performance targets under the contract with the Ministry of Defence.

The fraud, which went on for at least four years, involved the use of computerised ' autodiallers' to maintain an artificial call rate.

An examination of phone records found that one operator who would normally handle 100 calls in an eight-hour shift was logged as answering 412 calls in just over an hour. The MoD was tipped off about the scam and asked BT to investigate in June 2004 - when the contract was up for renewal.

It concluded there was no case to answer and it was not until the following year, by which time the contract had been renewed, that another tip-off led to a second probe and the fraud was exposed.

Five BT managers were sacked for their roles in the incident. One of them, Joseph Hewson, from Ossett, West Yorkshire, has taken BT to an employment tribunal claiming unfair dismissal.

Mr Hewson, who worked at the company's Wakefield call centre, insists he had only been following orders. He claimed he had not been aware of the 2004 investigation, describing it as 'simply useless' and 'an absolute sham'.

Mr Hewson told the tribunal in Leeds: 'In June 2004 when an anonymous informant caused the first investigation to take place upon the instruction of the MoD, this was at a time when the contract was in the renewal phase. This renewal was worth over a billion pounds to BT and so they could not let anything affect it.'

The fraud also involved call centres in St Helens on Merseyside, Dumbarton in Scotland and Kettering, Northamptonshire.

Mr Hewson said: 'Everyone in every centre was fully aware that auto-diallers were being used. I was fully aware that auto-diallers were there and being used. I knew it was wrong and every single other person knew it was wrong. I couldn't do anything to stop it.'

Mr Hewson said a 'bullying culture' within BT was so bad it was impossible to speak out or refuse to organise the false calls. He said the company was after 'scapegoats' and other managers aware of the fraudulent activity had not been disciplined in the same way.

BT does not accept Mr Hewson was forced into co-operating with the scam and insists his dismissal was justified. Earlier this week, Anne McHugh, 28, one of the other sacked managers, lost her case for unfair dismissal at a tribunal in Liverpool.

The MoD said a 'thorough and wide-ranging investigation' had been carried out into the 'artificial inflation' of target-linked ' successful' calls and compensation would be paid by BT.