Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

what camera should I buy??

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2007, 06:09 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what camera should I buy??

I really need a half decent digital camera.
There seems to be about a million different ones at the minute.
What do you guys recommend?

Ive been looking at the sony dsc w200 -12 mega pixels. Somebody I know reckons cannon are better though? ?

Any recomendation please, I want to take some decent pics of my car instead of taking them on a mobile!
Old 14 December 2007, 06:12 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Panasonic fz8, pixels are only good to a point, lens and ccd quality is where it counts.

DMC-FZ8 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic

Just got this after chasing many reviews, it takes great pictures and is far smaller and lighter than pictures suggest.
Old 14 December 2007, 06:19 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Panasonic DMC TZ3, has a very good lens and is true wide angle (28mm) with 10x Optical zoom. Takes very good pictures and you can record high resolutuion widescreen movies at 30fps for up to 19 minutes or 2GB. It is "only" 7.2 megapixel, but don't worry too much about that unless you're gonna blow up the image on a large poster, more important to get a camera with a good quality lens. The only down side is it doesn't have any manual controls but it does have a comprehensive range of "scenes" to choose from.

Have a look on
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ etc. google "digital camera reviews" for loads of review sites.
Old 14 December 2007, 06:28 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

cheers , that FZ8 looks ideal. I can get it for about £180 with a 4 gb card.
so its a pretty good price as well.

Thats on my shortlist
Old 14 December 2007, 06:51 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Try asking here

If you just want decent pictures of a car in good light, almost anything will do TBH. A camera with a good wide-angle lens will let you fit the car in the frame from up close - I often use a 15-30mm zoom lens at shows for this reason.

Almost all compact cameras come with a built in zoom lens and a spec along the lines of "28 - 100mm equiv." - these numbers tell you the zoom range.

Consider also how you'll want to carry it. I'm often found carting around a digital SLR and a rucksack full of lenses and other accessories, and for me, the quality of the result is usually worth it. But there are other times when I like to leave all that stuff at home and just go out with my little Canon Ixus 800 clipped to my belt. A camera like that may be all you need - take a look, for example, at my pics from the WRC in Ireland here and see if you can tell, without looking at the filenames, which were taken with my 1D mkII, which ones with the Ixus, and which with a friend's 30D.

There's no substitute for going to a good camera shop - see here - and having a play with a few once you've narrowed your selection down by reading the reviews. Pick one you actually like the feel of, one that's comfortable to handle and intuitive to use. There's no point having a 'theoretically' brilliant one if you find it fiddly, slow, plasticky and downright unpleasant to use, you'll stick it on a shelf and never use it.

If you're considering an SLR then other considerations do come in, as you'll be locking yourself into a system of lenses and accessories that it'll be expensive to get out of - different manufacturers' kit is rarely interchangeable. But if you're looking at an all-in-one camera with built-in lens and flash, then you're free to pick whatever you like.

Whichever one you buy, it'll probably be cheaper in the January sales though
Old 14 December 2007, 06:59 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

ah, thanks, I never saw the photo section!!!