Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Put todays date in your diary

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2007, 08:41 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Put todays date in your diary

Just remember todays the day gordo sells us out!!!!

So much for a peoples Prime Minister,

Wheres the referendum you promised us all!!!!!

Mart
Old 13 December 2007, 09:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I have to say that I don't know enough about the agreement he's signing to say if it's a good, or a bad thing.

However, his behaviour smacks of underhand............what? he can't get to the OFFICIAL public signing, (unlikely) and has to sneak in afterwards and sign privately, then NOT appear on any photos?

WTF is THAT all about?

Alcazar
Old 13 December 2007, 09:26 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

He decided he wouldnt get the response he wanted thats why he ditched the referendum... Did you really think it was your country and you were entitled to a say
Old 13 December 2007, 09:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's still got to be ratified by parliament hasn't it?

UKIP's the answer btw
Old 13 December 2007, 09:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I have to say that I don't know enough about the agreement he's signing to say if it's a good, or a bad thing.
Nope, nor do I - and nor do most people I suspect. This is why we have politicians, they can study and debate these things and tells us what its all about.

I'm not really a fan of governing by referendum. That said, if you going to say you are going to give one on a given topic in your election manifesto, then you really ought to follow it up.

The reality is that they didn't expect France and Holland to throw out the constitution. As soon as they did, it was dead in the water.

So they rename it, change its clothes and dress it up as something else, and then remove the referendum option. And thats not just the UK, that's all across Europe. The French and Dutch public aren't getting another referendum on this one.

Of course it stinks, but in anything like this, even if it went to referendum, you will be reapeatedly asked until you give the right answer.

What makes it even worse is that Brown is citing some prior engagement as the reason he isn't going in front of the cameras to sign the treaty in public along with everyone else, and instead signing it this afternoon.

In summary then, I am not sure on whether I mind what they have done, but I am absolutely disgusted by the way they have done it.
Old 13 December 2007, 10:06 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Looks like the Irish will have a referendum, and it only needs one parliament to not ratify for it to fail. Looks like a number of Labour backbenchers are not happy and it could be touch and go for it to get ratified here!

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Q&A: The Lisbon Treaty
BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Viewpoints: The Lisbon Treaty
BBC NEWS | Politics | Brown under fire over EU treaty
Old 13 December 2007, 10:27 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Nothing like a bit of blind faith when you're getting shafted.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2007, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

However, his behaviour smacks of underhand............what? he can't get to the OFFICIAL public signing, (unlikely) and has to sneak in afterwards and sign privately, then NOT appear on any photos?

WTF is THAT all about?

Alcazar
What it means is that it is the next step towards selling out to the Eu completely. As Jean Monnet said just after WW2, the only way to get a federalised Europe is to do it in small stages in order to fool the public until they can eventually say the we might as well go all into the Eu since it is nearly all completed anyway.

It is all part of the big con and you should realise what it will mean to be dominated by the Eu. They will make all our laws for us-there will be an Eu army and police force, and the worse thing is that our votes will count for nothing any more and we will have completely lost control of our own destinies.

This is what our politicians want because they can be sure of a very highly paid sinecure in repayment for handing us over. That is why they have been lying to us about it for such a long time now.

The so called treaty has been admitted by other Eu leaders to be exactly the same as the constitution which was rejected by France and Holland. The so called "red lines" quoted by Flash and his lying predecessor to justify breaking their promise over our referendum count for nothing since they will fade away quite quickly as has happened already in the past. So what do you think of Flash and Billy Liar now?

Les
Old 13 December 2007, 11:52 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

What I like is that the message coming from the Brownites is that it contains nothing that "significantly" changes the power of the UK/EU. So what they're saying is that "yes, it does change the powers that the UK and EU have, but not enough for you to worry your pretty little heads about.. now totter along and pay me some more taxes, good public".

Old 14 December 2007, 10:45 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The world is about to end.
Old 14 December 2007, 11:57 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if you read a bit about it, the UK and ireland are the only countries in the new one that have the option to opt in and out on all policies imposed, so makes no difference to the uk as such in thats sence
Old 14 December 2007, 12:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
if you read a bit about it, the UK and ireland are the only countries in the new one that have the option to opt in and out on all policies imposed, so makes no difference to the uk as such in thats sence
Do you think that these spineless liars would ever use those options?

Les
Old 14 December 2007, 12:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

they already have in some cases lol

i havn't had to pay for shopping in euros yet, have you?