Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

AAarghh Car buying help! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2002, 05:41 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

OK, so I'm not sure why I'm posting this on here, but we'll see...

I'm going nuts. Been intending to change my ageing saab (180k+) for 6 months. Getting in a right state

Always (uni & since) run saabs. Buy at 120k, service self, run until it's dead. Cheap(ish) motoring. Anyways, I've had it with running a massive car, & had it with running bangers. I can afford better these days. So, the hunt for a new car begins. I'm just into the wrong (old) half of my 20's, and want something I'm going to enjoy, and with a bit of image/kudos & some class - not a novaboy. (Sorry for any ruffled feathers - each to their own and all that)

Oh, yeah, and I'm also getting stressed at the likely cost of paying to have a car serviced - but I don't see an option if I want to sell it again. Peeps want Fsh...

Want something around the 2.0 T / 200 bhp area. Definately want an 'EVO' car - needs to be fun.

So, the initial plan was for a 6 grand scooby. Then I saw what they're like inside. (no offence intended, but) Uurgh! So, I'm on to a minimum of a MY97, On the plus side, it's a smashing drive (almost ?maybe? enough to ignore the interior). But to be honest, It's far from a nice place to be. But, I've always wanted a scoob. Oh, and the budget gets pushed ever upwards.. Having been quoted for a WRX, I think it has to be a UK car.
Then I'm starting to get scared about all these "how much has your scoob cost this month" threads...

Tried an integra-R, Probably not a car to live with, I do do a fair amount of motorway miles (towing small <200kg boats). Noise is unbelievable. Blast to drive, but.

Tried a Nissan 200sx - little better than the scoob inside, and not half the drive.

Tried (just) a Fiat Coupe 20vT. Erm, l a g . . Hold 4000 rpm, plant it - wait approx 1 sec for full boost to arrive. Ditto after gearchanges - is this normal? Seemed very neutral to drive - jumping on and off the throttle mid-corner seems to make little difference to the attitude of the car. More GT than sportscar? That said, it's a very nice place to be with leather and all that.

Integrale - too fragile?

At this rate, I'm going to finish up buying a boring, sensible A4Tdi estate.. but I'm not 40 yet!!

You lot are car nuts - any ideas/thoughts? I can't be the only one who thinks like this?

Somebody help me - before I finish up looking like I'm old enough for the A4TDI. Buying a new car should be fun shouldn't it?

- Mark.
Old 15 January 2002, 05:48 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Question

Saab 9000 turbo?
Volvo T5 ?
Old 15 January 2002, 06:49 PM
ScoobySi
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Mark,

Volvo T5/T4
Audi S2
Cav/Vectra SRI
Clio 172

Got to make sure though it has room for the pipe, slippers and rug

Si
Old 16 January 2002, 12:19 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Skyline GTS Type M
Mitsubishi FTO
Honda Prelude 2.2 V-tec
Supra 3.0 non turbo
Mitsubishi GTO TT or not
Old 16 January 2002, 12:44 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thx folks

Si - I'm _determined_ to loose the carpet slippers & pipe image. Hence wanting something more sporty/fun.

Matt - What's the diff between a GTS-M, and a GTR?

Fiat Coupe's looking more probable; I'm thinking the one I saw yesterday was sick. Not completely given up on the scoob yet either.. (I'll still be agonising over this lot in another 6 months time [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] )

- Mark.
Old 16 January 2002, 01:18 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

I have driven a Fiat Coupe Turbo, mad quick, didnt notice the lag and it cornered really well (for fwd), not as much fun as a Scoob and most people dont know how quick the 20VT is. However they are prone to problems and expensive to fix/insure, quicker to 100 than a Standard Scoob (and thru gears), cambelt change requires engine out and costs loads (£500 plus)

I have a Volvo T5 estate, almost as quick as the Fiat (Similar Power/weight) but not much of a drivers car, good fun when you get somebody pull to the right hand lane from the lights to get past the Volvo, have embarassed many cars, Merc SLK/CLK 230's just arent quick enough, murders most Hot Hatches and corners better than you might imagine (for a 225 BHP FWD Volvo that is), its been reliable over 3 years (no major faults), it pulls front tyres apart for fun, have given up on Pirellis and now buy el-cheapo cos it overwhelms the grip of anything on the front. it does 23 MPG and the insurance only cost £405 this year, my mate pays £1200 on the Fiat (similar age etc)

Get the Fiat and stick a grand away for repairs !

Old 16 January 2002, 02:29 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Rover 620 Ti?
Old 16 January 2002, 02:43 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

620 Ti - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Just ask Scott Davies. Major mechanical probs.

David
Old 16 January 2002, 04:53 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

A GTS has 2.5 V6 single turbo opposed to a straight 6, 2.6 twin turbo.

earlier GTS push out 250-260bhp and is RWD not 4WD.

It's heavier than a 200sx but has that extra bit of punch. I found it pretty quick, about the same as 200sx to 60, but past that it does move. Best bit is they are very tunable and the clutch and gearbox can easily take more power a simple chip, exhaust adn induction kit means 300 bhp for about 1000-1500 quid. So, I'm told anyway.

A good one looks pretty mean and they ain't slow. Good handling and most people only know about the GTR and when they see skyline they do tend to stare. Insurance, ha mention the word skyline and brokers eyes light up, chepaer than a wrx for me though.
Old 16 January 2002, 04:59 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Thanks - I'll look into the GTS. Few peeps have suggested the 620, but it's a bit anonymous. Want a little bit of flash too

Basic problem appears to be I want my cake and eat it.

- Mark.
Old 16 January 2002, 05:39 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Sempers, post your question on www.gtr.co.uk to get more advice on the GTS

Top car.
Old 16 January 2002, 06:14 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

GET THE SCOOB.............

Come on, I know the interior leaves a lot to be desired and don't be put off by some of the threads on this bbs my scoob's cost me nothing other than £40 petrol this month. Drive it around for half an hour and see how long the smile lasts for.....

SCOOBY SCOOBY SCOOBY SCOOBY SCOOBY SCOOBY (Jerry Springer style)

Mike

Old 16 January 2002, 06:19 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Matt are you sure the GTS has a V6? always thought it was a straight 6.
[edit] being **** I found a pic of a r33 type M and it looks like a straight 6 to me [/edit] http://www.regentcars.co.nz/vehicled...en&vehicle=600

Sempers
You could get a really nice M3 E30. It would be LHD but nothing comes close to it on feel and handling.

Alos have a look a Porsche 944's Turbos.Parts and servicing aren't as expensive as you'd think

I'd avoid the Fiat. It looks great IMHO, sounds good goes well in a straight line but feels like it is going to snap in half when going round a corner ie the chassis is bollox. They are also very badly put togther from the examples I have seen.

If you want a FWD car the FTO is a lot better than the fiat and looks even better.

Old 16 January 2002, 10:13 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I could be wrong - let's just say it's a 6 cylinder
Old 16 January 2002, 10:57 PM
broom5
Scooby Regular

Wink

go and get the scoob.
any scoob

just get one NOW.
Old 17 January 2002, 12:45 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

actually I'd be interested in performance and consumption stats on the GTS.
Old 17 January 2002, 02:49 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

http://www.motorzone.com.au/300ZXvsGTST_5.htm
and http://www.powerlink.co.nz/~graeme/trouble.html MPG is about 27

[Edited by Mark Champion - 1/17/2002 3:12:45 PM]
Old 17 January 2002, 03:29 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

If you're looking for an early (i.e. cheap) Scoob. Find one with a prodrive interior. Available when new its a complete retrim and a couple of lovely recaros. OK you still end up with Same Dash and rubber ford transit like gear lever gaiter but its streets ahead of the std early imprezas.

You want something like a MY95, Good Non-Met colour - maybe Red, FSH, recent cambelt change maybe Air/Con, SunRoof, and CD Autchanger. Perhaps ScoobySport Back Box and Lights aswell to round the package off.

Deano

MY95,Red,Prodrive Interior,FSH,A/C,S/R,CD Auto Changer,SS Back Box,SS Spots,79K miles.... (Wants a new WRX )

Seriously Pro-Drive interior makes all the difference
Old 17 January 2002, 03:52 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Yeah, can imagine - I'd pretty much discounted anything pre MY97. Didn't know about the prodrive interior. I'm a bit concerned about anything non-standard from the point of view of insurance.

I'm probably leaning in the direction of a leather coupe (tho I want to drive one for more than 10 mins) at the moment, without having given up completeley on the scoob. FTO might be a better drive, but I've yet to find a jap car with a nice inside.. If someone could marry jap engineering flair to european insides, they'd be on to a winner

Cheers for all the thoughts folks

- Mark.

Old 17 January 2002, 05:19 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

How about a 300ZX ?

Build quality is A1, but can be expensive to maintain.
Old 23 January 2002, 12:31 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Oooh, is this my first corner

Ahem, To my real reason to post - Thanks to all who contributed to this thread - I'm picking up my new car today and... IT'S A SCOOBY

Went with the heart, I'll just have to drive fast and not look at the dash '

Thanks again.
Mark.
Old 25 January 2002, 11:45 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well done M8

and welcome to the club

You won't regret it

Mike
Old 25 January 2002, 12:00 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sempers,
I had a Coupe turbo & have now got a Turbo wagon, you have made the right choice in going for the Sub. Take a Swiss Tony stance and compare them to women. Like Italian women the coupe is nice to look at, but is high maintenance and a glance at their Mamas will tell you that nobody would ever buy it off you. The Sub visually is bit of an acquired taste, but its hidden talents and extra muscle spring to mind !