Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drink Driving ....

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2007, 07:29 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drink Driving ....

Not a thread for is it right is it wrong... we ALL know it is wrong....

2 points.....

As local police forces announce their christmas stop and breathalise campaign...

'The campaign involves a combination of education and enforcement to warn drivers of the risks involved and the penalties for drink-driving - while also ensuring a "zero tolerance" approach to those who ignore the warnings.

1 Is it time for if you are going to drive NO drinking at all?

2 What about the morning after... How is the best way to combat that ?

The adverts drive the message home with stark statistics - one-in-six road deaths are caused by drink-drivers and it can take up to 12 hours for alcohol to leave the system, meaning drivers can still be over the limit the following morning.

Claire
Old 30 November 2007, 07:35 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Driving the morning after is the tricky one for me. Out till 11pm on the sauce I would probably drive at 10am. The reality is I have no idea how long it takes for the beer to leave my system. I know I should, but I dont.
Old 30 November 2007, 07:49 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy self test kits for 'the morning after', but I don't have a great deal of faith in them. I'd use one if I felt okay to drive after a heavy night out, just as a second check. Not sure on the police's stand point on them though.
Old 30 November 2007, 08:00 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why only the crackdown at christmas though, taking a look at the pissed up idiots driving to the supermarket at 12am on a friday night tells me this is happening all year round.
Old 30 November 2007, 08:21 AM
New_scooby_04

If I take the car out, I don't drink at all- that's a golden rule for me.

The next morning is a tricky one, how quicly you recover depends on so many factors. I think the safest policy is to not drive the following morning after a heavy session!

If I go out drinking on a heavy session, say to 12 O clock, I don't drive till mid afternoon/evening the next day.

Better safe than sorry!

Ns04
Old 30 November 2007, 08:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Zero tolerance wouldn't work, there is alcohol in food. 12 month ban for eating xmas pud!
Old 30 November 2007, 08:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Apart from at Christmas, there are so few police on the roads that I don't see that it will make a difference. If you're the sort of person who'll sink 4 or 5 pints and drive, reducing the limit to 0 isn't going to make a jot of difference to you. What it needs is less cameras and more trained officers on the roads looking out for bad driving, regardless of what's causing it.
Old 30 November 2007, 08:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Zero tolerance wouldn't work, there is alcohol in food. 12 month ban for eating xmas pud!
Some medicines as well.
Old 30 November 2007, 08:53 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by MattW
You should NEVER drive under the influence of pudding!!
Old 30 November 2007, 09:02 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Apart from at Christmas, there are so few police on the roads that I don't see that it will make a difference. If you're the sort of person who'll sink 4 or 5 pints and drive, reducing the limit to 0 isn't going to make a jot of difference to you. What it needs is less cameras and more trained officers on the roads looking out for bad driving, regardless of what's causing it.
As with all u-turns on laws, it always effects the law obbiding citizens and never the ones who were causing the problems in the first place because to be quite frank as you say they couldnt give a rats **** either way!
Old 30 November 2007, 09:14 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

The way I see it is the sooner their is zero tolarance on drink driving the better, Having been the victim of a drunk driver who very nearly cost me my life(I was hit head on at over 100mph) I feel the only way forward is zero, my opinion of course.
Cheers
Colin
Old 30 November 2007, 09:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I'll drive after a couple of pints and passed a breathaliser before doing it. There are times though I'll have a couple and know full well I wont drive because I didnt eat the day before, had a session and not had lunch for example. Saying that though, December I wouldnt even take the risk. Car stays at home if Im going to the pub but at the same time Im starting to try and walk everywhere again anyway so only driving to and from work now

As said earlier, the old bill are useless anyway and changing the law wouldnt change a thing unless there was more coppers on the roads.
Old 30 November 2007, 09:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OllyK
Hear hear!

Alcazar
Old 30 November 2007, 09:22 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I do it the other way round.... I drive a lot, so I DONT drink. Full stop. Not interested in the stuff, and happy with soft drinks, or water right now as the case may be.

DD to me are as good as scum, and im happy to have helped 5 of them be nicked now.
Old 30 November 2007, 09:24 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I never touch a drop if i'm driving. To be honest, I don't see the need to. A zero tolerance approach would suit me fine.

As for Alcohol in food, it's nowhere near the same level as an alcoholic drink, so it would be easy to distinguish. Besides, most of the alcohol is cooked off.

That said, I do see perhaps occasions where some leeway is needed. So the current model is probably fine.
Old 30 November 2007, 09:24 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Depends on many things too. How big/small you are, Sex (yes please ), if you've eaten etc, etc. There is no safe limit, any alcohol effects your ability to drive. Best is to go for soft drinks and be the driver for the night for your mates. Their turn will come. Or, of course, get a taxi.
Old 30 November 2007, 09:25 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I take the morning after pill if I have been drinking heavily the night before - stops me getting 'caught' apparently?
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by davegtt
I'll drive after a couple of pints and passed a breathaliser before doing it. There are times though I'll have a couple and know full well I wont drive because I didnt eat the day before, had a session and not had lunch for example. Saying that though, December I wouldnt even take the risk. Car stays at home if Im going to the pub but at the same time Im starting to try and walk everywhere again anyway so only driving to and from work now

As said earlier, the old bill are useless anyway and changing the law wouldnt change a thing unless there was more coppers on the roads.
Of course, there are some things even more dangerous to joe public than drink driving, eh Dave!

*coughs*

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...g-scandal.html
spider
Scooby Regular

I always thought drink-related accidents were higher in summer anyway - on the odd days when we get sunny weather and everyone says "let's just pop to that nice pub in the country for a meal & some beers"?

Anyone got any facts/figures?
Old 30 November 2007, 09:49 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spider
I always thought drink-related accidents were higher in summer anyway - on the odd days when we get sunny weather and everyone says "let's just pop to that nice pub in the country for a meal & some beers"?

Anyone got any facts/figures?
You may be right, but the Police will always catch more at Christmas as they actually put the resources out on the road to do so. Setting the limit at 0 won't make any difference unless it is enforced. As an example, now the fine has gone up and you get 6 points for driving with a mobile, how many people do you see still doing it?
Old 30 November 2007, 09:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Driving the morning after is the tricky one for me. Out till 11pm on the sauce I would probably drive at 10am. The reality is I have no idea how long it takes for the beer to leave my system. I know I should, but I dont.
A unit takes an hour to get rid of an hour after youve finished drinkin it

so in fact everyone whos had a session the night before a skool day is prolly over
Old 30 November 2007, 09:55 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Of course, there are some things even more dangerous to joe public than drink driving, eh Dave!

*coughs*

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...g-scandal.html

Old 30 November 2007, 10:09 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

My mate was stopped two days after being on the lash he was still over the limit!
two years driving ban big fine
Old 30 November 2007, 10:40 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Surely that cant be true. He must have had a beer or two on the day in the middle
Old 30 November 2007, 10:47 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
The way I see it is the sooner their is zero tolarance on drink driving the better, Having been the victim of a drunk driver who very nearly cost me my life(I was hit head on at over 100mph) I feel the only way forward is zero, my opinion of course.
Cheers
Colin
Oh please theres a difference between ZERO tollerence and people who take the ****! If they are going to go Z.T. then they need to ban people driving on any kind of medication too!

I too have very strong views on drink driving due to a loss... *BUT* I also believe in civil liberties, people should have the right to have a shandy/eat chocolate liquers.., it wont effect their driving any more than listening to the radio or catching a glimps of a fit bird..

Imagine if you had an accident and the police found alchohol in your system because you use mouth wash; so in turn you lost your license and your life was ruined because you couldnt work... Sure you'ed find it such a good idea?

NO MATTER HOW TIGHT the laws are there will always be someone out there who will not care.. Its illegal to kill people, zero tollerence on that too but people still kill people.. Its illegal to own most firearms and we have some of the most horrendous criminal punishments ever in this country but people still have firearms..

Get a grip!
Old 30 November 2007, 10:52 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

I moved into the city centre, now I dont need to drive to the pubs
Old 30 November 2007, 11:12 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I'd say the limit is to be used as a just in case for the next day, zero tolerance is a complete no way. What if you are driving to work in the morning, under the current limit yet zero tolerence means you'd be a drink driver. Ridiculous.
Old 30 November 2007, 11:13 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
My mate was stopped two days after being on the lash he was still over the limit!
What was he drinking, meths???

I'd say your mate has a problem

Ns04
Old 30 November 2007, 11:15 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]

I too have very strong views on drink driving due to a loss... *BUT* I also believe in civil liberties, people should have the right to have a shandy/eat chocolate liquers.., it wont effect their driving any more than listening to the radio or catching a glimps of a fit bird..
I'm not sure civil liberties come into it.

Bascially no, you shouldn't have the civil right to drink alcohol if you are going to drive.

I am sure you could easily manage not to.
Old 30 November 2007, 11:18 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Although the law hasn't changed much if at all in the last 30 years, social attitudes have enormously. When I was 15 it was still borderline cool for people to have a few and drive home. Nowadays you might as well admit you enjoy child ****. Not sure what's changed it, possibly all the public service ads before Christmas. Enforcement is also rigorous - although UK has one of the highest blood alcohol tolerances in Europe, it also gives instant one-year/18 mth bans to pretty much everyone caught - other countries have BACs of 0.2 or 0.5 but the punishment can be much more like a slap on the wrist, so it isn't really dealt with. UK has a considerably better record than many on this issue. This is what the Zero-Tolerance is above, it's ZT and a long ban for anyone who drives over 0.8, it doesn't mean they drop the limit to 0.0.

I think the messages about don't drink and drive have had a massive effect on Friday nights (though there seems to be a slackening of this) - messages about sunny Sunday lunches and morning after benders would be very useful.

EDIT - civil liberties argument is 100% bollox. You have a driving LICENCE, not a RIGHT. Break the rules and it will get taken away. This also applies to people speeding, whatever SN/ABD/safespeed think about it! YOU DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO DRIVE.

Quick Reply: Drink Driving ....