Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can they do that?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 03:20 PM
foxyange
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Ages ago I was crashed into the 3rd party has FINALLY fully admitted liability... My solicitor rang to tell me this good news, but when I asked if I could be sent a cheque for the repairs rather than the insurance company (Royal and Sun alliance) paying the garage directly my solicitor told me that they wouldn't do that Are they allowed to refuse to just send me a cheque? (I don't know when I'll actually have time to book my car in to be fixed!)

Aarrggghhh I just don't get it!!!

Cheers,

Ange
Old 14 January 2002, 05:06 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I think it's to protect their interests. If they make the cheque out to you, then you can cash it in, and not have the car fixed. E.g your repairs cost 1300 quid, so they give you a cheque for £1300. You then go to a mate who has it done for £300, thus you get a grand out of it.

If they pay the garage they ensure that they get what they paid for.

Now we all know you would'nt do that, unfortunatley some people would
Old 14 January 2002, 05:55 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Foxyange,
Your insurance policy will/should tell you. Mine says that if the car is lost, stolen or damaged the Insurance Co may pay for it to be repaired, replace the car or pay me a cash amount equal to the loss/damage. Yours is probably v. similar so I guess the answer is yes they can.
Old 14 January 2002, 06:02 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Actually even paying the garage directly doesn't ensure that the insurance company gets what they pay for. I backed my Toyota Carina-E GTi into a post, got a quote from a reputable body shop approved by my insurance co, total came to £1250 for a new tailgate, rear screen, badges, fitting, spraying etc. etc. the insurance paid up, the repairs were done, and all the body shop did was fill the dent and spray it. I'd say the body shop made about £1240 profit, until I reported them to the insurance company and they had to do the repair properly.
Old 15 January 2002, 07:51 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Surely the insurance company are compensating you for your loss. How you wish to spend that compensation is (IMHO ) up to you. If you want to drive around in a wreck then that's up to you (isn't it?).

If you want to spend the money on getting the car fixed then that's also your choice. I suspect that if you are firm enough with them, you can make them give you a cheque.....(unless it specifically states in your schedule that they will only pay the repairer direct).

Matt
Old 15 January 2002, 11:19 AM
foxyange
Scooby Regular

Question

right, my policy states...

"We will, at Our reasonable option

- pay the cost of repairs or pay You in cash the amount of any loss or damage where repair can be economically made. "

What's this at our reasonable option stuff???
Old 15 January 2002, 12:51 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

you'll probably find it means they will pay for repairs if the car is repairable or pay you cash if it's beyond economic repair (written off), they may also pay cash for personal effects.
Old 15 January 2002, 05:59 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It basically means that they can choose which to do and you can't do much about it unless you want the aggro of trying to prove that they are being/have been unreasonable.
CJ
Old 15 January 2002, 06:14 PM
foxyange
Scooby Regular

Talking

thanks guys, it just seems odd as I have had 2 claims go through recently, and one was happy to send a cheque, the other not, seems it's more the case of what the other party's insurance company dictates to my insurance company!!!
Old 15 January 2002, 06:16 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I always think insurance companies are like footie referees - no consistency in what they do so punters (players) don't know where they stand. B*****ds.
Old 15 January 2002, 07:02 PM
foxyange
Scooby Regular

Talking

The word we are looking for my friends is ********!!!

Ange xxx

www.helvin.com