Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CDM Regs 2007 - anyone done update course?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2007, 07:17 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDM Regs 2007 - anyone done update course?

I've attended a 3-day course this week on CDM 2007.
I'm a Project Engineer and my colleagues and I share a few concerns on the new regs.
I work for a Facilities Services arm as part of a large company. Basically we run various projects around the uk working for different "clients". We usually act on behalf of a client depending on which business group wants the work doing and how big the job is. The client usually has no time to run projects or the technical knowledge/expertese which is where we come in.

Now normally a notifiable project requires a CDM-C which we always outsource. We pull all the designs together, (sometimes outsourced depending on the job) write specifications and go out to Tender via our Procurement department.
Winning tenderer gets the job etc then we go for capital approval via the client etc etc.

We no longer appear to have a role as technically we use to be acting as Planning Supervisors under the old CDM regs.

You could say that we are now "The Client" but we do not hold the purse strings so technically this is wrong. To the Principal Contractor WE are The Client as they report to us, and we report back to our Client.
I think we are possibly being pushed into the CDM-C role as well as performing our other duties because it would save the company money by not out-sourcing the role but we as a team feel it is a role in itself and may be too much to take on.

Anyone else in this game have any views? Sorry to blabber.

Nick