Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thing is he's absolutely bloody right...

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2007, 01:12 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my lazy arsed nationals who can't be arsed to click the linky....

Originally Posted by A Charming Man

Singer Morrissey has sparked controversy by claiming British identity has disappeared because the country has been "flooded" by foreigners. The 48-year-old former Smiths star, whose parents were Irish immigrants, suggested that immigration was one of the reasons he would not move back to Britain.
Morrissey, who has spent most of the last decade living in LA and Rome, told NME magazine that countries like Germany still had their own identity and complained of not hearing "British accents" on the streets.

Asked whether he would move back to Britain, he said: "Britain's a terribly negative place. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you. "Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears.
"So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to Sweden, it still has a Swedish identity. But travel to England and you have no idea where you are.

He added: "It matters because the British identity is very attractive. I grew up into it, and I find it quaint and very amusing. But England is a memory now."

He agreed that immigration was enriching the British identity but added "you have to say goodbye to the Britain you once knew". In a follow-up phone interview, Morrissey told the magazine: "I just think that it could be construed that the reason I wouldn't wish to live in England is the immigration explosion.

"And that's not true at all. I am actually extremely worldly and there are other reasons why I would find England very difficult, such as the expense and the pressure." He said: "My favourite actor is an Israeli, Lior Ashkenazi, and my favourite singer was born in Iraq and now lives in Egypt. So I'm not a part of Little Britain. And by that, I don't mean the show, obviously."

Asked about his parents moving to Britain, he said: "It's different now. Because the gates are flooded. And anybody can have access to England and join in." Admitting that he would be "pilloried" for his comments, he added: "You can't say, 'Everybody come into my house, sit on the bed, have what you like, do what you like.' It wouldn't work."

NME wrote: "Morrissey, the son of immigrants who has lived for most of the past decade in either LA or Rome, wants others to have the freedom to travel the world like him, but implies he would shut the gates to people coming to live in the UK. "He might once have been the voice of a generation, but given his comments in these two interviews, he's certainly not speaking for us now."

He's sure speaking for me
Old 29 November 2007, 01:14 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

DCI, you know that's going to be a double post when they merge the threads, don't you?
Old 29 November 2007, 01:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

can't see how that is racist at all.
Old 29 November 2007, 01:34 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

He's spot on!
Old 29 November 2007, 01:36 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
DCI, you know that's going to be a double post when they merge the threads, don't you?
Old 29 November 2007, 02:05 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

It's just a shame that people actually living in this toilet of a country haven't got the guts to say what Morrissey has.
Old 29 November 2007, 02:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

He's talking **** obviously. I mean, the ratio of British to immigrant is something like 60:1.

They way he was talking you would think that every second person you meet is Eastern European.
Old 29 November 2007, 02:09 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

Old 29 November 2007, 02:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thing is in free world market economics this place is liable to die - what exactly have we to offer that cannot be done cheaper anywhere else
Old 29 November 2007, 02:15 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Thing is in free world market economics this place is liable to die - what exactly have we to offer that cannot be done cheaper anywhere else
That's tosh. As a financial centre London is the capital of thr world, it contributes enourmously to the economy - In fact London accounts for 19% of GDP. A massive amount. Thats not going to change any time soon.

As a mass manufacturing centre the UK is dead, and heas been for some time - But that's not the only measure of success.
Old 29 November 2007, 02:29 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
He's talking **** obviously. I mean, the ratio of British to immigrant is something like 60:1.

They way he was talking you would think that every second person you meet is Eastern European.
I agree

Another fact that keeps being forgotten in this debate is that there are as many 'British' people living aboard as there are imigrants in the UK

This of course kind of scuppers a lot of the anti-everything brigades arguement, so it conveniently forgotten
Old 29 November 2007, 02:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This one's good, too.

"If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany."

Apart from the Turkish population of course
Old 29 November 2007, 02:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's tosh. As a financial centre London is the capital of thr world, it contributes enourmously to the economy - In fact London accounts for 19% of GDP. A massive amount. Thats not going to change any time soon.

As a mass manufacturing centre the UK is dead, and heas been for some time - But that's not the only measure of success.
Well as long as the financial centre of London can expand to fill the gap and keep the rest of the economy bouyant then theres nothing to worry about
Old 29 November 2007, 03:18 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Mr Troll, does that statistic include the migrants that are now Birtish citizens and British people who were born into the country from immigrant families in the past 20 years thet still practice and hold allegence to their orginal country of origin?

The 60:1 ratio doesn't explain the suburbs that get nicknamed "little China" with town markets equivelent to a Bangladeshi bazaar, with kids playing cricket in the local park dressed in Pakistani team colours, Jamaican flags hanging out of tower block windows and in the windows of dubious looking cars, the sprouting of huge mosques, Indian cuisine restaurants, and being served in McDonalds by overly efficient and eager staff with an east European accent.

Very English, very English indeed. Well in this era it is anyway

I personally think Morrissey comes across as a prat that couldn't be anymore up his own **** if he tried.

But in this instance. He has a valid point, and expresses it very well

Last edited by Shark Man; 29 November 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 29 November 2007, 03:27 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Smiths Star Morrissey Embroiled In 'Racism' Row |Sky News|UK News

He is absolutley spot on. Then NME say they don't agree with him and his interview doesn't represent their views. So they think its OK to have a free for all then? Perhaps I should go round to that editors house and help myself to what ever I want as they so strongly belive in letting Britain be a free for all

Every time I go into town now I am amazed at the [b]high[/] number of Eastern European accents as well as accents from further afield (Asia & Africa) you hear as you pass people. The rate its going UK nationals will be the minority before long because immigration into this country is a bloody disgrace. Oh and my local Shell garages run by the same bloke only employs Sri Lankans, now surely that has to be illegal under employment law and racial discrimination.

British identity died a long time ago.
+1

I like the way the NME simply jump on the racist/immigration bandwagon right away...

Full credit to the guy
Old 29 November 2007, 03:41 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come to Bournemouth plenty of East European accents down here.

British identity will only disappear if people let it.
Old 29 November 2007, 03:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Mr Troll, does that statistic include the migrants that are now Birtish citizens and British people who were born into the country from immigrant families in the past 20 years thet still practice and hold allegence to their orginal country of origin?

The 60:1 ratio doesn't explain the suburbs that get nicknamed "little China" with town markets equivelent to a Bangladeshi bazaar, with kids playing cricket in the local park dressed in Pakistani team colours, Jamaican flags hanging out of tower block windows and in the windows of dubious looking cars, the sprouting of huge mosques, Indian cuisine restaurants, and being served in McDonalds by overly efficient and eager staff with an east European accent.

Very English, very English indeed. Well in this era it is anyway

I personally think Morrissey comes across as a prat that couldn't be anymore up his own **** if he tried.

But in this instance. He has a valid point, and expresses it very well

Mr Troll? Because I don't subscribe to the official Scoobynet Little Englander mentaility? You want to sign up to it, fill your boots - I'm not going to.

Take a look at life outside of the inner cities and you will find that Britian is very much alive an well, (in the traditional sense). Of course it is very much alive and well in the more ethnically mixed areas too, it just depends if you are affronted by Jamaican/Pakistani Flags.

Morrisey is talking ****e, the statistics simply do not back up what he is saying. We have no bigger immigrant community than France or Germany in terms of a percentage - I.e. the biggest economies have the biggest immgration - No surprise there.
Old 29 November 2007, 03:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Mr Troll? Because I don't subscribe to the official Scoobynet Little Englander mentaility? You want to sign up to it, fill your boots - I'm not going to.

Take a look at life outside of the inner cities and you will find that Britian is very much alive an well, (in the traditional sense). Of course it is very much alive and well in the more ethnically mixed areas too, it just depends if you are affronted by Jamaican/Pakistani Flags.

Morrisey is talking ****e, the statistics simply do not back up what he is saying. We have no bigger immigrant community than France or Germany in terms of a percentage - I.e. the biggest economies have the biggest immgration - No surprise there.
I'd like to see you back that up with facts

or

Tell me the last time YOU had a slightly depressing but catchy chart hit
Old 29 November 2007, 03:58 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I like the way he's speaking as an immigrant to another country though and saying he wouldn't move back to Britain. Better kick himself out too!

5t.
Old 29 November 2007, 04:02 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

You'll be lucky to find any english people on the streets of the West End these days.

Some very dodgey looking characters among them too.
Old 29 November 2007, 04:05 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

any magazine that can employ mockney tw@ts like tony parsons and julie burchill as journalists and think they're 'cool' is a bag o' sh*te in my book. NME - trendy, lefty liberal w@nk full of musical snobbery and sixth form right-on politics. always was, always will be.

old smiley boy's mugshot on the cover and "OH DEAR" as the headline. pathetic stitch-up. he has a genuine point: balance off people leaving and we currently have a net annual influx of +200,000 immigrants a year (enough to fill a city roughly the size of Hull every 365 days). politics and cultural impacts aside, it is unsustainable for a country of our size and infrastructure - end of.
Old 29 November 2007, 04:06 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Civil war anyone!
Old 29 November 2007, 04:07 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

revolution more like.
Old 29 November 2007, 04:11 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I can guarantee you right now from living and working in London to Frankfurt there are a damn sight less 'ethnics' here, the only accents you hear other than German are English or American and I haven't seen a Polish car in months.
Old 29 November 2007, 04:11 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Civil war anyone!
World War dont you mean?

Give it 10 years.
Old 29 November 2007, 04:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It'll cause a house price crash, I guarantee it. We're on the edge now.
Old 29 November 2007, 05:22 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost
any magazine that can employ mockney tw@ts like tony parsons and julie burchill as journalists and think they're 'cool' is a bag o' sh*te in my book. NME - trendy, lefty liberal w@nk full of musical snobbery and sixth form right-on politics. always was, always will be.

old smiley boy's mugshot on the cover and "OH DEAR" as the headline. pathetic stitch-up. he has a genuine point: balance off people leaving and we currently have a net annual influx of +200,000 immigrants a year (enough to fill a city roughly the size of Hull every 365 days). politics and cultural impacts aside, it is unsustainable for a country of our size and infrastructure - end of.
Old 29 November 2007, 05:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I like the way people confidently bandy statitistcs around when our own government hasn't got a clue what immigrant numbers are.

There are obviously very high numbers of immigrants coming to this country, and IMHO this is quite unsustainable when you look at out infrastructure. Look at the added burdens to maternity services, hospitals, schools, roads etc etc. I rent houses out and I can tell you right now that an "English" tenant is quite a rare species in a large town. I've rented out to one such tenant in about 5 years I think. Several years ago all my tenants would be UK born and bred. Indeed just walk around in my town centre and you mostly hear Eastern European accents, and no I'm not bullsh1tting.

Quick Reply: Thing is he's absolutely bloody right...