Never liked Morrissey until now

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2007, 01:04 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Never liked Morrissey until now

Music News - The latest music news and gossip from Yahoo! Music UK & Ireland

The man speaks sense. Obviously a racist and should be shot on sight.
Old 29 November 2007, 01:08 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NME
"He might once have been the voice of a generation, but given his comments in these two interviews, he's certainly not speaking for us now."
How do they know?
Old 29 November 2007, 01:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

For my lazy arsed nationals who can't be arsed to click the linky....

Originally Posted by A Charming Man
Singer Morrissey has sparked controversy by claiming British identity has disappeared because the country has been "flooded" by foreigners. The 48-year-old former Smiths star, whose parents were Irish immigrants, suggested that immigration was one of the reasons he would not move back to Britain.
Morrissey, who has spent most of the last decade living in LA and Rome, told NME magazine that countries like Germany still had their own identity and complained of not hearing "British accents" on the streets.

Asked whether he would move back to Britain, he said: "Britain's a terribly negative place. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you. "Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears.
"So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to Sweden, it still has a Swedish identity. But travel to England and you have no idea where you are.

He added: "It matters because the British identity is very attractive. I grew up into it, and I find it quaint and very amusing. But England is a memory now."

He agreed that immigration was enriching the British identity but added "you have to say goodbye to the Britain you once knew". In a follow-up phone interview, Morrissey told the magazine: "I just think that it could be construed that the reason I wouldn't wish to live in England is the immigration explosion.

"And that's not true at all. I am actually extremely worldly and there are other reasons why I would find England very difficult, such as the expense and the pressure." He said: "My favourite actor is an Israeli, Lior Ashkenazi, and my favourite singer was born in Iraq and now lives in Egypt. So I'm not a part of Little Britain. And by that, I don't mean the show, obviously."

Asked about his parents moving to Britain, he said: "It's different now. Because the gates are flooded. And anybody can have access to England and join in." Admitting that he would be "pilloried" for his comments, he added: "You can't say, 'Everybody come into my house, sit on the bed, have what you like, do what you like.' It wouldn't work."

NME wrote: "Morrissey, the son of immigrants who has lived for most of the past decade in either LA or Rome, wants others to have the freedom to travel the world like him, but implies he would shut the gates to people coming to live in the UK. "He might once have been the voice of a generation, but given his comments in these two interviews, he's certainly not speaking for us now."
He's sure speaking for me
Old 29 November 2007, 01:12 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Well, I agree with him. Nail on the head. It seems you can't voice concerns like this unless you're a racist
Old 29 November 2007, 01:13 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Perhaps a letter to the NME is in order?
Old 29 November 2007, 01:21 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

**** being labelled a rascist, say what you want!
Old 29 November 2007, 02:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Heaven knows hes always been miserable sod - ill bet theres more immigrants in LA
Old 29 November 2007, 05:34 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I suppose Oxford university students will be at his next gig trying to close it down
Old 29 November 2007, 05:47 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

He always did look on the bright side though, didn't he ?
Old 29 November 2007, 06:35 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

NME have always been a bunch of whiney, Student Union, liberal ******* though. Shouldn't they all just **** off and listen to Mika or something?

*ahem*
Old 29 November 2007, 06:38 PM
nooobyscooby
Scooby Regular

And now the Sudanese have jailed our English teacher. Bar stewards.