Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ipod Nano or Sony video MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2007, 07:19 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod Nano or Sony video MP3?

I'm thinking of asking for an Ipod Nano for Christmas. Only I'm now in a dilema as Sony have just brought out a competitor and the reviews read well.

I've always been slightly put off by the tie-in with I-tunes with the Ipod and have found you just drag-and-drop with the Sonys (they have got rid of Sonic Stage apparantly).

Can anyone advise/give opinions please.

Thanks

Nick
Old 27 November 2007, 07:30 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I have an Ipod Touch (thank you work people who gave it to me) and my wife has a Sony Walkman.

If you are basing it on the software, Sonic Stage is just as irritating as Itunes: It converts your MP3 files into another format before you can copy the files.

I personally like the Ipod, but I am probably just a sucker for the 'coolness' of it (not to others, the whole thing just oozes appeal).

There are lots of other MP3 / Video players that are much cheaper and more functional than both Sony and Apple and they do not require proprietary software to be loaded.

Steve
Old 27 November 2007, 08:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got an iPod 4G (upgraded to 60GB) and Rose has an iPod Nano 4GB, and her mum has some Sony network walkman thing with some stupidly low capacity.

I'm happy with iTunes, works fine for me. It could be due to the fact I use the Mac version as opposed to the PC version which is known for being a bit of a resource hog, but you can use third party apps such as Anapod Explorer, which I think might do the true Drag and Drop thing.

As for Sonic Stage, I'm with Steve, I loathe it. Apart from it wanting to convert all the songs from whatever format they are in to some proprietary format (ATRAC I think), it is horribly slow.

There is now some official app that allows you to directly copy MP3 files onto the sony walkman, it's ok, doesn't covert files and copies fairly quickly, but it's clunky and you can tell they felt pressured into making it and so just slapped something together.

Call me a sheep (baa, baa ) but I would always go for an iPod. I like the design and I'm used to how it works, the restrictions (and workarounds for them). I know it will work with my iMac, and at a push, my PC's if I need it to.
Old 27 November 2007, 09:24 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt touch another sony product with a barge pole

Lik-Sang.com Out of Business due to Multiple Sony Lawsuits