A bit bored with everything...

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2007, 06:56 PM
bilgo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit bored with everything...

Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker but have never felt the need to post before but wondering if anyone else feels the same.

The long and short of the matter is that lately I'm feeling a bit bored and fed up with life and constantly looking for the next 'exciting' thing which is going to happen.

Maybe it's just an early mid life crisis as I head towards my 25th birthday at the start of next year

I'm 24 years old, have my own house, drive a nice car, earn great money for my age, love my job and understand my career progression route, have a long term girlfriend, go out lots with my mates, have plenty of the geeky toys I want, etc... I just still find myself feeling bored, fidgety and irritated most of the time like something is missing or i'm missing out on something.

Is it too early to be going through this kind of phase? Does anybody else feel the same way?

B
Old 26 November 2007, 06:59 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

But are you male or female?

That'll make your replies soooo different
Old 26 November 2007, 07:00 PM
bilgo
Scooby Newbie

I'm male... what have I let myself in for here
Old 26 November 2007, 07:01 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Pahhhhhhhh.

Never mind.
Old 26 November 2007, 07:05 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by bilgo

I'm 24 years old, have my own house, drive a nice car, earn great money for my age, love my job and understand my career progression route, have a long term girlfriend, go out lots with my mates, have plenty of the geeky toys I want, etc... I just still find myself feeling bored, fidgety and irritated most of the time like something is missing or i'm missing out on something.
You sure you're not gay and in denial

Sorry mate, can't help you work it out as I haven't achieved any of them yet, and I'm older than you

Gareth
Old 26 November 2007, 07:15 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Sounds like you have ADHD. Go to your GP and ask for Ritalin.
Old 26 November 2007, 07:16 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I just still find myself feeling bored, fidgety and irritated most of the time like something is missing or i'm missing out on something.
If you've been like this for a period of time, then it might be worth taking the test below....symptoms sound all too familiar

NetDoctor.co.uk - Goldberg depression test

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2007, 07:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bilgo

...... I'm a long time lurker but have never felt the need to post before.......
Yeah sure - they all say that

Life's a bitch ain't it. dl
Old 26 November 2007, 07:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Start doing triathlons.
That'll sort out the fidgets.
Old 26 November 2007, 07:25 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

its probably Pete and another alias
Old 26 November 2007, 07:26 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i was about to do that test but i got fed up
Old 26 November 2007, 07:27 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
If you've been like this for a period of time, then it might be worth taking the test below....symptoms sound all too familiar

This question is probably what they base it on:

"I feel sad, depressed and unhappy."

Bit of a giveaway

Steve
The Chief
Scooby Regular

i had this when i hit my late twenties - think its the thought of hitting 30 and deciding i have to be grown up and more responsible about things and stop t**tting around, well i'm 35 now and things are the same, although at long last i know what direction i want to go with my life - for me it just aint happened quick enough.

The only advice i can give you is **** everyone - no i mean that, what i mean by that is go out and do what you damn well please. if you want to give up your job and bugger off around America or OZ for a year then do it.

***** to any negative comments that you might get. if you want to emigrate then fine - do it - you can always come back. This sort of thing gets put on hold when you start having kiddies with the missus.

If you want to sell everything and go and live in a tent then go for it.

You've obviously got enough money to get you by, maybe go and do a bit of charity work, i dont mean a 5k run or whatever i mean proper hands on stuff, might make you appreciate what you have in life.

Sit down and ask your self what do you really want to do? you might find you already have the answer, then ask yourself, is it a phase? if not then go for it.

lifes too feckin short and were dead a long time

good luck
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i just can't be bovered
Old 26 November 2007, 07:28 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to real life mate, it takes an awful lot to make a person truly happy, with whatever you have......
Old 26 November 2007, 07:43 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

get pissed its great
Old 26 November 2007, 07:44 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Suffering from affluenza methinks.
Old 26 November 2007, 07:46 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate

I managed to do the test, just wish I hadn't
Old 26 November 2007, 08:03 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Agreed with Chief, been feeling the same for quite a while, Ive spent the last year going out getting drunk, doing stupid things just to try and make a laugh of everything, next on the list is taking a year out and going travelling and seeing the world. Everything became a formality with the good job, house, cars and g/friend. I was en route to just living the rest of my days as I was and becoming old. As luck would have it (Didnt realise at the time) I split from my g/friend of 9 years and its probably the best thing that could have happened to me, I now feel like I know what I need to do or at least want to do before settling and getting too old

Life is for living, not for growing old thinking you've got everything, its not about what youve got, its about what you do
Old 26 November 2007, 09:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think this is a problem people have, particularly A listers, been there done that, have all the material things they can need, money, etc but have run out of things to do at an early age so turn into diva's who worry about having their dressing room repainted or someone to throw rose petals in front of them and loads of lackeys to tell mortals not to look them in the eye.

So, what this tells me is that you need someone else to worry about, you have your life sorted and are a self contained unit with your health, wealth and relationships, some people never get any of these things so perhaps you may like to do something voluntary, it will make you focus on someone else who is less fortunate than yourself giving you some perspective and give them some assistance.

Also, I have learnt that in life, sometimes the anticipation of getting more things is generally better than the getting, it makes you strive, so you lose that if you have everything you want, I am the same, there is nothing I want for Christmas this year, no gadgets or anything like that. Its natural, its the hunter gatherer instinct.

A relative of ours is like you but three time the age, has kind of run out of things to do so, watches sky, reads the paper, plans the day round their meals and all outing round whether they will need to drive which will mean they cant have a drink. They have lots of family, reasonable health (despite the bad habits) and more material success and wealth than most people ever manage yet they never seem happy, mainly as they seem to spend all their time thinking about themselves, sometimes you need to think about other people. Don't get like that.

I have three kids which means I don't get too much time to worry about me.
Old 26 November 2007, 09:17 PM
Lisawrx

Agreed.

My brother is alot like the OP. He has a good job, wife, kids, car, all the toys he desires, but he's never happy. Don't get me wrong, he has hassles now and again, but no more than anyone else. I can always tell when he's getting bored of life just ticking over, because he causes hassle for himself and often others in the family as it seems he thrives on it.

This really irritates me, as I'm in a totally different situation, just getting by in a job I can't say I love, that isn't well paid (my fault), but I just get on with it. Although I may moan sometimes, I try to stay thankful for what I do have.

If someone is so bored with life, take a look deep inside as to why. Money doesn't buy happiness, but usually the other things in life make up for that. If that's not the case, then only the person with these feelings can really answer the question that they are posing to us.
Old 26 November 2007, 09:24 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Methinks it's an attention seeking ploy.

We have a lovely life down here. Enough money through a decent business wife and I run, loads of outdoor activities, great social life, etc - All very much "tested" by recently losing a baby boy (at 38 weeks - stillborn) but getting through it and appreciating the good things even more.

People that get bored are boring. There's plenty to do in life. Just get an imagination.
Old 26 November 2007, 09:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My wife is currently talking to a friend, finding out the current status of another friends husband who is in hospital with a Brain Tumour, she is staying over at the hospital tonight. reading between the lines, that is not a good sign.

Not trying to make you feel bad, by ramming others misfortune down your neck but just suggesting that you perhaps feel a bit more satisfied, I do acknowledge that its your own reality at the current point in time thats the problem.

I prescribe Prozac, a Bacon Butty and a copy of Razzle (not at the same time)
Old 26 November 2007, 09:50 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie

Damn, I got moderately to severely depressed
astraboy.
Old 26 November 2007, 09:53 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO

I prescribe Prozac, a Bacon Butty and a copy of Razzle (not at the same time)
Book a night in a hotel if you stay with the missus, sort yourself out with a few hookers, a big bag of chico , a few bottles of JD & you ..... the OP will be healed.

Rev Sti-04!!
Old 26 November 2007, 10:23 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Take a year out, go travelling, see some things you never thought you would get to see, live life to a tight budget, it's one of the best things you can do IMO! Only problem is, once you've been away for a year and come back you just want to go away again... I do!
Old 26 November 2007, 10:27 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I've personally had enough of 1000 pound mortgages , fitted kitchen's , soft close toilet seats , illegally parked polish motors , paying £13.00 the otherday for 2 coffe's and 2 sandwiches , Gob****e £150,000 a week footballers , Traffic warden's , getting nicked by a mobile speed camera last week , council tax, road tax , petrol price's , not being able to have a *** in the boozer, The spice girl's reforming !!

I've decided to do something about it and am going to move abroad in the new year.

Last edited by finchyboy; 26 November 2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 26 November 2007, 10:34 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've got big head syndrome. Cut your foot off; that'll change everything.
Old 26 November 2007, 10:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by finchyboy
I've personally had enough of 1000 pound mortgages , fitted kitchen's , soft close toilet seats , illegally parked polish motors , paying £13.00 the otherday for 2 coffe's and 2 sandwiches , Gob****e £150,000 a week footballers , Traffic warden's , getting nicked by a mobile speed camera last week , council tax, road tax , petrol price's , not being able to have a *** in the boozer, The spice girl's reforming !!

I've decided to do something about it and am going to move abroad in the new year.
Yeah like they dont have mortgages aboard, or fitted kitchens, or toilet seats, or polish motors (especially aboard, god, imagine finding one of them in, say Poland) Footballers on £130k a week in Italy or Spain, even the USA, Traffic Wardens abroad, never!!!!, Taxes? Paying for Petrol? Spice girls banned from the radio?

Please tell me of this holy land you seek oh wise one

:
Old 26 November 2007, 10:42 PM
Lisawrx

Some people just like to think the grass is always greener on the other side.

Quick Reply: A bit bored with everything...