Off-road gear motocross / ATV

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2007, 06:18 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-road gear motocross / ATV

hi all

I have just ordered a YFM700R Yamaha ATV yep I no its 4 wheels I am a wimp and would prob kill my self on just 2 + I love the power sliding madness that quads give you…

YFM700R

So I am looking for some good off road protection. There seems to be loads of mail order shop but ideally I want a shop so I can get it properly sized especially the helmet. I am based in and around the MK area but am willing to travel if people have any recommendations of shops or even products would be great.

thanks
Old 24 November 2007, 06:26 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i can only suggest online suppliers, thats a great quad. a friend has the same one its a monster
Old 24 November 2007, 06:29 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

thanks 4 the post

Had a test on one and fell in love and then nearly fell off so thought safety gear will def be needed.
Old 24 November 2007, 06:55 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good choice, had a go on a couple in Dubai - I felt like Wylie-e-Coyote after he had lit the touch paper an an ACME rocket!

Very quick, balanced and well built, good choice.

As for saftey gear good/quality well fitting helmet is first and foremost, i would post this over in the bike forum i am sure there are odd road riders there who will advise.
Old 24 November 2007, 07:25 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

yep i have thanks 4 the advice, keep it comeing guys
Old 24 November 2007, 07:30 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

try the dirt bike centre in Regent St,Dunstable ( just of high st north (A5) they have quite a few helmets to suit all pockets (tel em steve the fireman sent you) then why not join our merry band :

The Green Lane Crew - off-road nutter bikers

my login is the same there

we would welcome quads, we are doing a trackday at Pineham this friday too if you want to join us.
Old 24 November 2007, 09:36 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
hi all

I have just ordered a YFM700R Yamaha ATV yep I no its 4 wheels I am a wimp and would prob kill my self on just 2 + I love the power sliding madness that quads give you…

YFM700R

So I am looking for some good off road protection. There seems to be loads of mail order shop but ideally I want a shop so I can get it properly sized especially the helmet. I am based in and around the MK area but am willing to travel if people have any recommendations of shops or even products would be great.

thanks

Thats a monster
Old 25 November 2007, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used to go scrambling (moto cross) in a decent helmet, thick jacket, old trousers and a strong pair of gloves.

If I fell off it was only onto dirt most of the time and you soon learn how to protect yourself when you fall off.

I have no doubt that if you go to a motor cycle shop they will be delighted to relieve you of hundreds of £'s for some higly expensive stuff anyway.

Les
Old 25 November 2007, 02:28 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Good pair of boots and a kidney belt if your going rough off road as well as gloves and a decent helmet are a must
Old 26 November 2007, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You should realise of course that those quads are about as dangerous as you can get if you lose it and you are likely to get the sort of injuries that you can find protection against. I reckon you would be far safer on two wheels!

Les
Old 26 November 2007, 06:47 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

yep mate i no they are not a toy and i think i will go ott on protection gear.... will go carefull with it to start with

thanks firesorter will call into the dirt bike centre 2moz 1st thing. will have a look at that web link only issue is its not going to be road legal, is it just green lane riding you do most of the time..... i will have a 50a farm land area with a track around the outer edge when i get time to get a digger up prob next year... you will have to add it onto one of your little trips

thanks to all your help guys keep it comming dont u just love scooby net so much good local info

Old 22 December 2007, 11:58 AM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You should realise of course that those quads are about as dangerous as you can get if you lose it and you are likely to get the sort of injuries that you can find protection against. I reckon you would be far safer on two wheels!

Les
na, in about 15 years of on off riding quads i've only been blue lighted to hospital once and one other trip! not bad considering i've tipped them over 50 - 100 times!! top quad, prefered that to the 450 in stock form. if you've got no exp on quads take it steady and treat it with massive respect, the difference with quads to crosser imho is you can't get a crosser and go that quick straight away (off road) and you'll have lots of little fall offs. which means your speed will increase along with your ability. with a quad you can go pretty quick straight away, which leads to over confidence. i've always found i've fallen off crossers alot more than quads but when you crash a quad it usually goes bigger.

top trick - get her up in a side wheelie, fairly slow and going in a straight line, once you've mastered that give her abit of throttle, she'll come up on the 1 back wheel before the other back wheel lands and ride out the front wheelie

stevie

oh yeah riding - a full face moto x helmet with a fixed mouth guard, goggles with roll offs, good body armour, kidney belt, knee pads, good boots, moto x shirt, jeans, gloves and socks

1st mods to the quad, make it wider, axle (don't get an nduro) and a set of wide a arms. you wont believe the difference.