Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci...00/1752999.stm
Old 14 January 2002, 10:40 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

I've always suspected the whole gobal warming thing to be a load of hokus.

Having lost the argument about capitalism versus communism, revolutionary minded people have just leapt upon the environmental bandwagon as a vehicle for their purposes, trying to scare us away from a consumerist society.

I m all for environmental protection but these scare stories I haver seen one too many over the years.

Do you remember in the 70's they gravely announced oil would run out by the mid 90's along with gas and coal some time shortly after!?

Old 14 January 2002, 11:30 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Plenty of alternative viewpoints here:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg15n2g.html
http://www.abd.org.uk/env.htm
Old 14 January 2002, 11:37 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

ANy study is open to attack... of course any study from the country that thinks drilling all the oil from Alaska won't have any effect on that eco-system could come under more of an attack.

--- Note: I burn fuel like the rest of us and I'm not sure where all that came from!
Old 14 January 2002, 05:28 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

My 02 cents on this one ...

Global warming might be a hoax... same for this study

Maybe we're just supposed to be in a colder spell, and it's less cold than it normally would be.

Or:

Maybe humans still have bugger all influence on the climate. Maybe the Pinatubo <sp?> had more effect ...

Who will tell. I think it's OK to look at emission control, water purification etc... our rivers were pretty stinky in the 70ties.

It's just that the "global warming" gang lost all my sympathy when their arguments seemed to be much more around "quick, more bad news, so our research gets subsidized" than around genuin concern for the ole blue planet.

We had about the coldest winter so far in decades here BTW. Does it prove anything ? No. Will I put my cats back on (the car that is)? No.

Confused ...

Theo
Old 14 January 2002, 07:04 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Wink

Ah, but the tree huggers have already started using the words "climate change" (they nicked it off the ABD!) rather than "global warming" so that they can claim anything, whether the temperature goes up or down and whether it is dry or wet.

You can't beat a good scare story to guarantee funding for research. The next thing that they will be telling us is that an asteroid might hit the Earth - cue Tony Blair providing buckets of cash. Oh, i forgot, he has already set up an asteroid team

Now i reckon that small engined cars, driven slowly, have a catastrophic effect on gravity which may cause us all to float off into space. Anyone want to sponsor me to help develop faster and more powerful cars to offset this phenomenon??

mb