Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dieting help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2002, 01:08 PM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okay,

I am on a basically fruit only diet, with a main meal that is mainly greens etc, etc. I am drinking plenty of water and I have a couple of cups of a green tea blend.

However, I have been suffering from nasty stomach pains since embarking on this.......is this normal????

Cheers,

Michelle
Old 13 January 2002, 01:11 PM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

Fruit only would be very acidic, probably goes thru you like a tuned WRX as well

Cheers,

Phil
Old 13 January 2002, 01:54 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
michelle, diets dont really work, sorry to tell you this.

what you want is to change you way of eating, and do plenty of exercise - harder said then done though!!

these crash diets, are only good, i guess, if u have a party to go to, or a special occasion and u want to look a couple of pounds lighter, in the end, you would put the weight back on.
Old 13 January 2002, 02:47 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

That sounds hateful.
You need protein and fat to live, so just eat a balanced diet and do at least 3 bouts of 20 minutes moderate exercise a week.
I find that magazines like Men's Health are much better at giving weight loss advice than most womens mags.
Fad diets are totally counterproductive, and just end up either making you feel ill, or priming you for a downfall.
Baby steps... good luck.
KF.
Old 13 January 2002, 03:03 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Yes, a pure fruit diet is not good for you. Just maintain intake of all food groups but at a reduced level. Dont stop have one type of group, you need the carbohydrates to give you energy,salt, potassium which by cutting out will give you the cramps.
Old 13 January 2002, 03:12 PM
Little Miss WRX

Okay, I only used this as a de-toxifying diet which I am only supposed to go on for a week or two, I am eating a healthy balanced diet and walk the dog every day, I also have to do a lot of running about at work

I only want to lose a stone and a bit to get back down to my original weight of say 8 1/2 stone, I don't want to go lighter as I have had an eating disorder before - which is why I am not happy the way I am! Anyone who has suffered will know what I mean.
Old 13 January 2002, 05:27 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

diet? why?
Old 13 January 2002, 09:27 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

here's an idea for you chelle, goto the hospital and ask them to wire your jaw togther for 6 months so u can only take fluids, job done, loads of weight lost

Neil
Old 13 January 2002, 09:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Smile

Most men like a bit of meat - forget it and love yourself for how you are ........... I would hazard a guess that plenty of others do

I mate of mine introduced me to his new girlfriend while he was playing pool - I couldnt see her until she moved the cue away from the front of her!!! not my cuppa tea!!! I would probably snap her or something

Put us a piccy on here and we will have a vote I would reckon the vote would be- 'stay as you are'!!

But, in answer to your question ...... YES, I reckon with that diet an upset stomach is par for the course!!

Pete
Old 13 January 2002, 11:24 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

i used a diet which is based on veg soup,it is designed for obese people who are desperate for heart surgery,so the hospital sticks them on this 'healthy' diet,with huge loses.I lost a stone in about a week,never came back once i stopped the diet!pretty good,for me anyway.

mail me if you want recipes and directions.

steve
Old 13 January 2002, 11:40 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

got a cd rom from weight watchers , quite good ,
mate lost 4 stone.
tell u in 6 months
steve

seen ya pics , u look alright,
complements flighing about
Old 14 January 2002, 07:12 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Any help would be appreciated guys, mail me on my profile
Old 14 January 2002, 10:09 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Afetr years of seeing my wife go on all the fad stuff from Protein to cabbage diets she seems to have cracked it(last 12 months) and its dead simple, exercise for 40-60 minutes 4 or 5 times a week(Rosmary Connoly video seems to be the one fo the moment). Little of no alcohol during the week and reduce the amount of fat in your diet, no fried food,cakes or cream. No fads no strange stuff just simple, that seems to be the best way. She's back down to the same weight she was when we got married 8 years ago !!! She thinks weight gain was due to having a baby AND drinking alcohol during the week. The secret seems to be get something you can maintain, obviousy you cannot just eat fruit your whole life.

Regards
Cammy
Old 14 January 2002, 10:21 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Wink

What's this Chelle - trying to squeeze into that wedding dress?
Old 14 January 2002, 10:59 AM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Since December my daily diet has consisted of the following;
7am Bowl of shredded wheat with skimmed milk
10am Banana & orange
Midday Tuna sandwich
2pm banana & orange
4pm a few cream crackers
7pm Bowl of pasta with some sort of tomato/vegetable sauce

Try and rotate the sandwiches and main meals otherwise you will be very bored with tuna and pasta all week long.
Every hour drink a glass of water, I now only drink tea first thing
and when I finish work.
I've gone from a 34" waist back down to a 32" with this diet and a very small amount of weight training.
I was starving to begin with, but now I don't feel hungry at all during the day.

Old 14 January 2002, 11:29 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Investigate Slimming world

I've never eaten so much food and lost so much weight before.

Any diet that tells me to have bacon + eggs for brekkie is good in my book.
Old 14 January 2002, 01:12 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

8and 1/2 stone!!!!
You dont want to be dieting,you want to be eating more!!!
Get yourself down macdonalds

Why do women always go on about their weight?
I like women with a bit of meat on them (within reason)I bet most men do,these skinny as a rake supermodels are a right turnoff!

just my opinion
Old 14 January 2002, 01:36 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Smile

I waqs driving home a week or so ago after a footie game and happened to tune into Radio 2. Rosemary Conley was on. The interviewer asked her what was her best piece of advice for anyone wanting to lose weight? The answer. Nothing fancy. Just cut out all the trips to the vending machine/sweet shop for those bars of choccy etc. Stick to 3 good, balanced meals a day and you'll do it.
Old 14 January 2002, 02:40 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

cut down on alcohol perhaps...
Old 14 January 2002, 02:43 PM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

Ditch the scoob and sprint as fast as you can everywhere
Old 14 January 2002, 04:43 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Get the book "Body For Life" by [bugger forgot his name Bill Phillips, or Bill Roberts or something]. It isn't a diet it's a way of life. It entails eating 6 meals a day, taking in enough fluids and exercising effectively. For example, did you know that 20 mins of aerobic exercise first thing in the morning before you eat, is more effective than 1 hour of aerobic exercise later in the day? You won't look anorexic on this plan as it's designed to build an athletic, healthy and toned physique in 12 weeks, but it needs to be stuck to, even after the initial 12 weeks.

As the book says: the first 12 weeks is hell, the second 12 weeks is hard, the 3rd 12 weeks are a way of life.

BTW, a fruit only diet is bad. When you eat something high in sugar, you cause an insulin spike, which forces your body to store excess sugar as fat. A Mars bar and a Big Mac have the same calories, but if your trying to get leaner, the Big Mac is a better choice, as you'll metabolise the fat immediately, rather than storing it.

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 1/14/2002 4:47:57 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 04:56 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah, echo what 'rev said. Particularly regarding insulin spikes; one of the reasons why marsbars & such are bad. Need to eat things which release sugar slowly over a period of time (complex sugars).

Don't eat before bed (metabolism is at its slowest during the night, so the food doesn't get used up)

Try to eat mid-day, or at worst early evening (not late evening)

A couple of short stints of exercise is as good, if not better than a long one as it takes a good while afterwards for the body to slow down.

IMHO, walking isn't that great (tho' better than nothing) If it doesn't make you puff....

Cutting down on food is a mugs game unless you eat excessively - upping the exercise is a much better proposition I believe: eg, as a student, I cycled 3 miles each way to uni. Fit'n'so on. Graduate, get (desk) job, blob.. 2 hrs a week in a gym and I'm fine. Tried eating less, it didn't work.

Keep it balanced (diet), Simply put 101 calories in, 100 burned = , 100 in, 101 burned =

HTH.
Mark.

[Edited by sempers - 1/14/2002 4:59:06 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 06:02 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

anyone who thinks they can look like bill via his book needs to read up on his younger years

Tiggs
Old 14 January 2002, 06:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If you want to look like Bill, I recommend a Deca/Tes Depot stack cycled with Winny and plenty of HGH
Old 14 January 2002, 07:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol, then once you look like him write a book about how you did it on fresh tuna stacked with chicken breasts and get rich

Tiggs

Old 15 January 2002, 04:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Body mass index = weight divided by height divided by height again (weight in kg, height in metres).

Ideal weight is 22.5 kg/m2 with normal range being 19-25, some say 20-25.

A lot of good points above. Exclusion or detox diets are a waste of time and do not produce good long term results, and some are frankly harmful. Eat a balanced diet and plan something you can stick to long term.
Old 15 January 2002, 05:07 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Okay, I am starving now!

I have had to start eating other stuff cos I felt that ill! I don't know how people can stay on these type of diets!

I have however, lost some weight and due to the intense pain I am suffering with my tooth have been put off choccie too

SO, back to a balanced diet and small meals :d The only thing that throws me out is my shifts, rotating from days to nights and back again - my body clock tends to take a while to catch up

Thank you for all of the advice guys I am gonna try to shed maybe a stone more a nicer way LOL
Old 15 January 2002, 05:31 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at this recently.
Food labels in supermarkets are scary!

Tin of Cream of Tomato soup has 3g of fat in it. Not too bad as a male is "allowed" 90g a day.

However, Safeway Tuscan Bean Soup (not diet or anything) has 0.2g of fat in it!!!

Compare to the 34.5g Golden Wonder bag of Tomato ketchup crisps I've just scoffed - 11g of fat in them!!!!!! Scary!
Personally, I'd rather have had the tin of soup, but can't cook it at work hence the crisps.

Seems to me that by applying above principles, you can EASILY cut down on fat in diet. I've stocked up on this Tuscan bean soup as it is yummy too!!!

Old 15 January 2002, 05:44 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

John, thanks for that , now I feel fat

110 / 2.01 / 2.01 ... erm that's 27.2 innit ?

OK, I'm officially fat now lol
Old 15 January 2002, 05:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

You must be very tall and scary then

Not to worry, only helps me try to keep up with you big turbo boys Worth 7 BHP advantage me I reckon given the weight and power of our cars. Should we add a column on the dyno site "Weight of driver" and adjust the BHP accordingly?

Quick Reply: Dieting help!!!