Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2002, 12:35 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi all,

My girlfriend and I are thinking of going to Canada on holiday for 2weeks in July - anyone been ? what are good places to go to?

Any good websites? which company did you use to book etc?
Thanks,
Christian
Old 13 January 2002, 12:38 PM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I will be visiting Seattle and venturing up to Vancouver hopefully so I will report back when I have been
Old 13 January 2002, 01:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Vancouver supposed to be good. I love Banff national park and Lake Louise, but I go skiing in the winter rather than hiking in the summer. Still nice to be slightly delayed on the ski bus as 3 massive elks are bored in the road....

BJH
Old 13 January 2002, 01:55 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

michelle - when are you going?
Old 13 January 2002, 05:27 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Christian,

I got a round the world ticket in 2000 and managed to see a few places including Canada.

As it was near the end of my holiday, I treated myself to a 10 day tour of the Canadian Rockies with www.contiki.com, starting in Vancouver and ending in Seattle. Its ideal if you want to see a lot of places and not have the hassle of finding hotels etc. You just sit back and enjoy the ride.

laters

stu
Old 13 January 2002, 05:36 PM
Little Miss WRX

Christian, I am flying from 9th - 23rd Feb
Old 13 January 2002, 05:45 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hey Stu, ive done that too which Contiki. How many times have you been with them & what do you think of them? I think theyre great, so much fun & still keep in contact with them.

Christian, im going to las vegas then SanFransisco then up to Vancouver in Feb, i shall let u know

From what i have seen & heard British Columbia is gorgeous state so much to see.
Old 13 January 2002, 07:05 PM
burnside
Scooby Regular

I lived in Vancouver for 2 years so I might be slightly biased on my opinions, but Toronto City you can tour in 1 day, Vancouver on the other hand will take you much longer.
I recommend you land in Vancouver and depart from Calgary as that is the closest airport to Banff, Lake Louise etc.
Whistler is a good 2hr drive from downtown and hire cars are dirt cheap.
DO NOT book any car’s from the UK, make sure you arrange it when you land on Canadian soil.
Motels are cheap, North Vancouver is a good location.
£1 = $2.30 very good rate that isn’t likely to change for a while.
Vancouver is very like San Fran, huge Oriental population, and a very clean and safe city.
If you need any advice on Motels let me know

Old 13 January 2002, 09:44 PM
Carolyn T-S
Scooby Regular

Try www.all-canada.com/main.html

We used them to put our Honeymoon together. Basically they will book whatever you want.

We did Vancouver (4 nights)- Rocky Mountaineer Train (2 days) to Banff (4 nights)- Canadian Train (3 days/nights)to Toronto (4 nights).

A real whistlestop tour of Canada Everywhere we stayed they organised freebies for us from free chanmpagne to upgrading rooms to Suites. Even got us first class flights for under £1k return
Old 13 January 2002, 10:33 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

how long are you going to las vegas for? and where ar you staying? my girlfriend and I went to las vegas in october last year - was amazing! can highly recommend it! we stayed at the luxor, fantastic hotel.
Old 14 January 2002, 08:34 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I went to Toronto for a fortnight a couple of years ago. (First tip, they don't use the word "fortnight" - going through immigration, officer asked me how long I was going to be there, and I said "a fortnight". After he'd decided he'd let me into the country, he broke into a smile and said "not a lot of folks use the word fortnight - I'd say 'two weeks' to avoid confusing people. Have a nice 'fortnight'!!!")

The city itself was really nice and it was not too far away from the Niagara Falls which are well worth a visit. Not sure whether you could stay there for two weeks though without running out of things to do - when I went I was working, so I didn't have a choice
Old 14 January 2002, 01:30 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Went there in '98 with the wife. Superb doesn't start to do it justice!

Flew to Vancouver - top place, you must vist Capilano bridge if you're frightened of heights!) then onto Victoria (don't be tempted by whale watching - pay lots see little get cold). Again nice place, but are memories of it our a bit clouded as we got robbed there. Mounties are good though!

Up to Whistler for a few nights. Again, incredible place and scenery, well worth a visit. Then onto Kamloops - arsehole of the earth, but it was only a stopover so it doesn't matter too much.

The drive to Jasper will then take you thru some of the most spectacluar and peaceful (try driving for 3 hours without seeing a single vehicle in Europe!) country in the world. The Rockies are just sepctacular. Spend as much time as you can there if decide to go that side of the country.

ALl in all a spectacular place. I would love to go back. People are nice and friendly as well, genuinely so, not like the Yanks who just want a tip!!!

Don't delay, book today!

Geezer

[Edited by Geezer - 1/14/2002 1:33:25 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 01:56 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

my wife and I have been looking into moving there to live,checked the availability of jobs,im on the wanted list,checked out house prices-wow!maybe in a couple of years I will be living there and I will be able to give you inside information!

steve
Old 19 January 2002, 12:25 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Niagara town is pretty grim (think Hayling Island) but if you do go up to the falls (and if you're in Toronto for more than a couple of days then you should) then make sure you go through the caves underneath. Powerful stuff! Excellent theme park in Toronto also - 'Paramount Canada's wonderland' - if you're into that sort of thing.
If you're after scenery then the rockies are fantastic, but all of the national parks are fantastic wherever you are in the country.

Everything good that's in the US, but without the Americans

Joolz