British Gas - useless !

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2007, 06:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default British Gas - useless !

Got a bill a while back so paid it.....

Not till I confirmed my meter number matched their billing details as the address was not quite correct, Plot 3 instead of the house number, and half the postcode was wrong.

Once sorted I was asked to put my personal details on the account, instead of an "occupier" account....

Got lots of paperwork, detailling my direct debit ! O.K.

Three weeks later I get a bill for £656.26 !

So I ring up and they tell me they can't find my "old" details.... or my previous payment of £636.26 or whatever it was !

How's this they took my money, but the burden of proof is on me !

Not their useless bl00dy accounts department, NO ME !

Rant over,

Dunx

P.S. Can I get Vpower points with any of the other energy suppliers ?
Old 13 November 2007, 06:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate. I changed bank account so they made me shut old BG account down and open a new one. Old was in credit by £60 so they said they would credit my account. It took me 4 months to get hold of the cash I kid you not. They are the most inept company I have ever dealt with.

Whatever you do make a note of the name, phone number and location of everyone you speak to as trying to get hold of the same person is like getting blood from a stone.

Simon
Old 13 November 2007, 07:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Good luck mate. I changed bank account so they made me shut old BG account down and open a new one. Old was in credit by £60 so they said they would credit my account. It took me 4 months to get hold of the cash I kid you not. They are the most inept company I have ever dealt with.

Whatever you do make a note of the name, phone number and location of everyone you speak to as trying to get hold of the same person is like getting blood from a stone.

Simon
trust me, british gas are nowhere near as bad as n-power. sponsoring the cricket, wembley, plus theyre owned by a german company. who gets charged for this.... us. im on metres by choice which i top up every week, and can safely say that im making a noticeable saving every month. plus the call centres dont have stoopid waiting times like n-power. indian, ok i admit that, but more helpful none the less.
Old 14 November 2007, 07:37 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

If your struggling with getting any resolution go to Energywatch.. or if your complaint has been open for 12 weeks or more the Energy Supply Ombudsman...

If you have any more q's on this drop me a PM.....
Old 15 November 2007, 07:32 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i paid my bill about a week after i got it and the money came out my account.
about a month later i get a disconnection notice, so i phone them as they say they havent recieved the money. actually sent them a copy of my bank statement in to prove that it was in their account. they are useless.

i think its time for a change.

that and not to mention not bothering to turn up to change the meter or even call to say they werent coming that day when the mrs stayed in the whole day to wait for them.
Old 15 November 2007, 08:37 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

switch to EDF we are saving just over £30 a month on gas with them and are also slightly in credit

British gas are just to unhelpful and stupid.

In our old house (7 year old build) which was small, just a lounge and kitchen and 2 bedrooms and bathroom we were paying £70 a month, when I queried this with bg they said that was about right as the english person I spoke with said she had a 1 bed flat and it cost slightly less WTF
New house 4 bedrooms 3 floors now pay £30 with EDF figure that out!

British gas will never be chosen by me again to supply their expensive service
Old 15 November 2007, 09:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We were with them for about a year, NEVER AGAIN. My account was supposed to be dual fuel, single bill, paperless billing, bill amount only taken DD quarterly. We got separate bills, one paper, one email, so no discount for a dual account and no discount for paperless. They failed to set up the DD and so we missed that discount too. We set it up at the time when you could freeze the price, which they forgot to do and then couldn't honour after their mahoosive price rises. Our first estimated quarterly bill was almost twice the annual amount from the previous supplier, and it took them 7 weeks to supply a new bill from my reading, during which they threatened me with legal action for non-payment. The most inept bunch of imbeciles I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. Their call centres may be in the UK, but the people in them are idiots.
Old 15 November 2007, 11:14 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a national disgrace! Some years ago, my wife was stopped in the shopping precinct by some twonk from Brit. Gas and unwittingly signed up for an electricity account. Three and a half years later, we get a bill! I knew absolutely nothing about it and the wife swore blind she just signed for some info. to be sent. We are talking of almost a grand, here! Negotiated a decent discount then made them wait six months before paying. I left them immediatly.
JohnD

PS Virgin (NTL) are almost as bad!
Old 15 November 2007, 11:41 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I know British gas have serious issue with their adddress system.

They kept putting my address as a street adjacent to ours, also with an incorrect post code.

It was only thanks to the initiative of the postman that I got any bills - as the house in that street didn't exist, but he recognised the name, so he put two and two together and got lucky. However, if its not the usual postman - I get no bill! - Be it a red letter or court order!

Its not as if my house is new or its an odd address; Enter the (correct) postcode in an addressing system (or satnav) and up pops my street, and there's my house number contained in the listings.

But try and get British gas to do that: Nightmare! I did get hold of some sympathetic people on the phone; they understood the severity of the problem (that I get no bills), and they tried to correct it. But the computer wouldn't let them! I told them without doubt its the correct address that I'm giving them, and said it must be a bug in their addressing system and I asked that could they report the problem and refer it to their IT department, because if they select an address from the automated listing, I will not get the bill!

Eventually, it did get sorted.

I had a similar problem with Npower, although that was just a postcode error, which although I have informed them, they still have it wrong, but the code refers to my street a few doors down, and everything else is correct. So at least I do actually get that particular bill!

How hard is it to keep an automated address system up to date?; Hell, I can order anything on-line, or set up an account with a company and their computer systems find my correct address just from the post code; But why can't nPower or British Gas?

Last edited by Shark Man; 15 November 2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 15 November 2007, 12:58 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I know British gas have serious issue with their adddress system.

They kept putting my address as a street adjacent to ours, also with an incorrect post code.

It was only thanks to the initiative of the postman that I got any bills - as the house in that street didn't exist, but he recognised the name, so he put two and two together and got lucky. However, if its not the usual postman - I get no bill! - Be it a red letter or court order!

Its not as if my house is new or its an odd address; Enter the (correct) postcode in an addressing system (or satnav) and up pops my street, and there's my house number contained in the listings.

But try and get British gas to do that: Nightmare! I did get hold of some sympathetic people on the phone; they understood the severity of the problem (that I get no bills), and they tried to correct it. But the computer wouldn't let them! I told them without doubt its the correct address that I'm giving them, and said it must be a bug in their addressing system and I asked that could they report the problem and refer it to their IT department,

see where you have gone wrong there is you should ignore the bills you did get and then go to court. When they ask why you havent paid any bills simply say that your address doesnt exist with british gas therefore how can they supply me
Old 15 November 2007, 04:22 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

This company is beyond a joke. They decided to charge me for gas used in 2005/06 (but not billed for) at March 2007 prices, I said. err no way as its twice the price now.

Cut a massive fight short I got it vaguely sorted. Needless to say I ditched such an useless company when the grief started at the start of the year, but they still think I'm a customer and are trying to charge me for gas used in July. Arghhh! I HATE the way they NEVER call you back, despite the promises.

Tip: Be wary of them as they try and sort serious disputes by phone, so you have no record of what's said. And, once you sort a dispute, they say they will immediately destroy the record of complaint, so should it ultimately STILL not be sorted out (as in my case) its a 'we told you we were destroying the record' type response. A 'well that's your continued muppetry' type response is pointless...

I'm making my own gas now!

D
Old 15 November 2007, 06:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Seems I've been lucky....

Chilling stories guys...

I did say to the (Indian) woman, that I should let it go to court and let a "judge" decide how stupid they are...

Thanks to all,

Dunx

P.S. Nectar points are out there apparently....