Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Suggest a Dog

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2007, 11:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggest a Dog

Our dog, well known on here is knackered but hanging on in there, fourteen and a half now. So, first question, is it wise to get a dog whilst the old one is still around ?

I want to get another dog, wife not that keen, current one is a Cocker, don't really want another as they are not the smartest animal and a bit whiffy, I want something with half a brain, that isnt too big, i.e. Cocker size or below and is robust enough to cope with three boys tearing about and teaching it football.

I would like a Staff but my wife isn't keen on them due to the negative associations, it must be able to walk a decent distance so nothing too small or wheezy, would love a Pug, they are so funny, sort of half dog, half Maggot but I think I would walk it to death.

Don't mind something with a bit of attitude as the kids are bigger and if they p1ss it off they can deal with the consequences, so I thought Jack Russell or some other kind of terrier.

Or some random Mongrel from a Rescue Centre, after having a Cocker for over 14 years that went blind and deaf at eight years old I sometimes wonder about pedigree dogs being too inbred.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:21 PM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cairn Terrier. Like the White Westie but coloured. Hardy, fit, walk forever, nice temperament. Big characters in a small dog.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:21 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Get a cross, what of I dont know, perhaps a Pug & a Maggot

You could get a Staff Cross, many many years ago I used to have a Lab/Staff cross, fantastic dog, brilliant temprament, and could run for feckin england, with being a Staff cross she never got too big either, but strong as an Ox

She was from a Rescue Centre from being a Pup
Old 12 November 2007, 11:24 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Let your old dog do his time before you get another.

Any pup will latch on, and probably help kill your old dog.

As for new one, rescue all the way. There's enough buyers wanting designer dogs, and thousands of poor ******* that need a home.

I got my terrier from a rescue and he's great. Terriers are clever, small and not too smelly unless you get a sweaty, chav staff.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:34 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

How about a Springer Spaniel? They were certainly more or less the same size as my Cocker and slightly less crazy.

Having said that I loved my Cocker Spaniel and wouldn't have swapped it for any other kind of dog. Be careful as the soppiness of Cocker's is hard to beat.

Steve
Old 12 November 2007, 11:35 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

do yourself a favour and get a kerry blue.best dog ever!
dont shed their hair so good for the settee and anyone with allergies.
loves kids,the more rough and tumble the better.but still knows to be gentle and protective when needs be.
very very smart,the breeder advised me to take my pup as soon as i could"ie; 6 weeks instead of the eight weeks which i wanted to leave it till" as training could start as soon as she got home.i thought the trainer was nuts but i was proved well wrong as i learnt her to sit the very first day we had her! she now can do any number of tricks,for a small treat of course
allways alert and protective of family and property but most of all a personality to die for.
never any bother at all with her.shes happy just to be in your company,good walk every day plus her dinner.

Last edited by bpm1588; 12 November 2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: none
Old 13 November 2007, 12:39 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Collie x lab, very intelligent, can walk for england, thinks for itself and doesn't have to be bribed with treats in order to do stuff. Great family pet too and will be protective where required.

Wouldn't change my dog for the world

Trending Topics

Old 13 November 2007, 07:57 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

If you want a footballer for the kids a Boxer is ideal they love kids and football
Cheers
Colin
Old 13 November 2007, 08:27 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Camilla parker bowles.
Old 13 November 2007, 08:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Breed Selector, Dog Search, Puppy Survey, Puppy Test, Test to find the right dog, Breed Quiz
Old 13 November 2007, 08:55 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Get a Boston Terrier. They are not actually a "terrier" they are a utility dog. Dogs in particular will have a mini boxer dog type body. You will struggle to out walk a Boston unless you like walking ALL day, ours can easily walk for 3hrs + without a rest and that includes running back and forth most of the time. But they also enjoy relaxing so you can get the best of both worlds.

They are smart, and also very easy to train. They are also very clean, they were originally bread for fighting (were much larger) but after this they miniaturised them and then they became domesticated. They dont have much of a dog smell, if any really. They also have a nice guarding instinct and although they dont bark much only when they feel the need to let you know they are not happy..

Also, they are quite rare - you wont see many around ( I have only seen a few out and about other than at dog shows).

The only down side is they are expensive. But good well known breeders are actually not as expensive as some so I suggest you go with one of them. I would only buy from the known breeders who are club members. I can put you in touch with someone who is the Boston Terrier Club "finder of puppies". Expect the Spanish inquisition from her, and then any breeders you are put in touch with. Out of all the breeders I have met BT breeders are by far the most picky about who they will let their dogs go too.

Check out

Boston Terriers - Photo Album-Puppy Cam-Training-Photo of the Week

Ours made POTW, Boston Terrier Photo of the Week Caption Contest Winners

If you want more info PM me.
Old 13 November 2007, 08:56 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

jade goody
Old 13 November 2007, 08:57 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

labradoodle
Old 13 November 2007, 11:09 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

We had a list from the kennel club that had the dogs listed in order of intelligence / obedience etc... Border Collie came out top ( although I think the votes were rigged as ours is more devious than intelligent, and can be obedient when she wants ! ) then it was stuff like Labradors, German Shepherds.

Border Collies are lovely as long as you train them well from being a puppy, they are quite energetic though so you need a decent size garden for them to run around, and be prepared for plenty of walking and playing. They are supposed to be one of the most devoted breeds and really form an attachment to you after a while.
Old 13 November 2007, 11:41 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Suggest a Dog
Why don't you get a dog
Old 13 November 2007, 12:32 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

labrador! cleaverist ******* ive ever met!
Old 13 November 2007, 12:50 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with staffs, one of the best dogs out there. Very clever and good with kids and love walking. Everyone will say there breed of dog is the best.....but they are wrong, staffies rule

Show your wife this, it may change her mind about them:
YouTube - The Staffordshire Bull Terrier - The "Real" Story
Old 13 November 2007, 12:57 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Got a Pug (called Frank) who is just over four years old now. Love him to death and very easy to look after. He will walk when you want to and for as long as you want to, or equally happy sleeping 18 hours a day.

Fed twice a day with the small dog sachets and odd treat biscuit now and then.

Very affectionate, (is a lap dog after all) and will sit beside you if you stay still for more than 5 minutes.

Very tough, will have a good "fight" with the boys and doesn't mind being tussled.

Also very smart (but plays dumb). But doesn't do the usual dog stuff like fetch a stick etc. but that might be just ours (who was brought up with cats).

Ours gets very "upset" if there is an intruder in the garden, be it a hedgehog or a plane crossing at 35,000 feet and will have a good bark but otherwise very well behaved. Bark is fairly quiet as dogs go.

I would never have considered a dog before, but Frank isn't a dog really, he is a little person in this house (who thinks he owns the place)

An alternative (good pedigree pugs are not cheap) is a puggle which is a cross between a pug and a beagle.

Any questions about pugs, drop me a line, will help if I can.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by IWatkins; 13 November 2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 13 November 2007, 01:06 PM
New_scooby_04

Staffs are wonderful "people" dogs, but can be problematic with other dogs; not necessarily agressive (they have an undeserved reputation for this) but just a bit over zealous (they're naturally very energetic and enthusiastic), which might be a bit much if your dog is on the way out.

I'd suggest keeping things as peaceful as possible for your current dog untill their time comes - not really fair to introduce such a big change to their environment in their twlight hour.

It might also be wise to give yourself time to grieve before you get another pet: easy to get very attached to a dog and losing one that has been part of the family for years hurts. A lot! When my old Staffie, Lab cross died, it broke my heart and took me a long time to recover, during which time, I just really didn't want another dog.

All the best, whatever you decide to do!

Ns04
Old 13 November 2007, 01:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yeah, get a Staffy. Great dogs. Renowned Family dogs, and a well trained one (like mine) will be a great asset to any family.

Any excuse.

Old 13 November 2007, 01:18 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Staffs are wonderful "people" dogs, but can be problematic with other dogs; not necessarily agressive (they have an undeserved reputation for this) but just a bit over zealous (they're naturally very energetic and enthusiastic), which might be a bit much if your dog is on the way out.

I'd suggest keeping things as peaceful as possible for your current dog untill their time comes - not really fair to introduce such a big change to their environment in their twlight hour.

It might also be wise to give yourself time to grieve before you get another pet: easy to get very attached to a dog and losing one that has been part of the family for years hurts. A lot! When my old Staffie, Lab cross died, it broke my heart and took me a long time to recover, during which time, I just really didn't want another dog.

All the best, whatever you decide to do!

Ns04

Good point, my staff and his best mate, a weimarner play for hours on end and it does get a bit rough, an old dog would be driven mad by constant hassle to play.
Old 13 November 2007, 01:32 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
Got a Pug (called Frank) who is just over four years old now. Love him to death and very easy to look after. He will walk when you want to and for as long as you want to, or equally happy sleeping 18 hours a day.

Fed twice a day with the small dog sachets and odd treat biscuit now and then.

Very affectionate, (is a lap dog after all) and will sit beside you if you stay still for more than 5 minutes.

Very tough, will have a good "fight" with the boys and doesn't mind being tussled.

Also very smart (but plays dumb). But doesn't do the usual dog stuff like fetch a stick etc. but that might be just ours (who was brought up with cats).

Ours gets very "upset" if there is an intruder in the garden, be it a hedgehog or a plane crossing at 35,000 feet and will have a good bark but otherwise very well behaved. Bark is fairly quiet as dogs go.

I would never have considered a dog before, but Frank isn't a dog really, he is a little person in this house (who thinks he owns the place)

An alternative (good pedigree pugs are not cheap) is a puggle which is a cross between a pug and a beagle.

Any questions about pugs, drop me a line, will help if I can.

Cheers

Ian

Frank look's well cool mate, and a great name, suits him. The wife wants one at some point, I'm sure my staff would love one to play with.
Old 13 November 2007, 01:51 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Heres a couple of Ellie our Boxer(with a tail)
Cheers
Colin

Last edited by Scoob99; 13 November 2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: would'nt upload
Old 13 November 2007, 02:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Border Collie fits your bill
Old 13 November 2007, 04:27 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Border Collie fits your bill
Agreed
Old 13 November 2007, 05:06 PM
T2000UK
Scooby Regular

Border Collie (or Collie X) gets my vote too.
Old 13 November 2007, 06:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You don't fool me !

Frank was in MiB IIRC ! Yeah I remembered something WooW !

Dunx

Still a handsome fella tho'
Old 13 November 2007, 06:02 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default DAGS

wait until your other dog has departed, before getting another. staffs are not chav, they are loyal friendly dogs with a lot of stamina and energy. they bond with children very well. all the bad press is cack! i bet you that the statistics of staffs biting people are far lower than german shepherds, collies and yappy sh*t bags. they are excellent pets. go and see a breeder. you need to firm with them and let them know thier place within your pack ie the bottom of the pile. buy a book about the breed you choose and read up first. all the best.
Old 13 November 2007, 06:34 PM
andy sti
Scooby Regular

english springer spaniel you wont go far wrong mate
Old 13 November 2007, 06:46 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Another Stafford fan.

My Staff is so loyal, friendly and always over joyed to meet people.
They are clean, small enough to control and don't eat the house out.
Good house dog and looks very handsome(like me)lol.

Quick Reply: Suggest a Dog