Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Petrol £1.15 a litre!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2007, 12:54 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol £1.15 a litre!!!!!!!

Driving back from Brighton this afternoon i pulled into a BP, which incidentally was not a motorway services just a normal station.

anyway i stuck the normal 95 in and i realised it was 1.05p a litre!!!!

then i scanned over at the BP Ultimate £1.15+ a litre ****-in-hell whats that all about, it was only 97Ron as well.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

We'll all be driving Diesels or Aygo's next year
Old 12 November 2007, 12:59 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Noticed loads of places today at 1.05 that were 99.999999999 yesterday. I remember when petrol hit £1.00 a gallon - they started quoting the price in litres. Wonder what they will do this time?
Old 12 November 2007, 01:10 AM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

our local shell billboard isnt capable of showing 100.9 so diesel price is now 00.9p. I wonder if you could insist on them selling at less than 1p a litre as thats the advertised price.
Old 12 November 2007, 07:28 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

even the tesco store by me now has 99ron at 103.9 a litre.

so much for tesco saying they would never go above a £ per litre a while back. Still good thing is they are still doing the 5p per litre off when you get over £50 worth of shopping which is nice.

bring on another fuel strike
Old 12 November 2007, 08:42 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yup, we need to do something about this. There is a facebook group running around atm all about fuel tax, we are currently paying 65-70% tax. It would not be hard for the gov to reduce fuel tax massively.

Not to mention that they spend very little of the revenue they receive on our roads. Unlike our neighbours who seem to spend a lot more of the tax take back on the motorists who paid it.
Old 12 November 2007, 08:52 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave1980
even the tesco store by me now has 99ron at 103.9 a litre.

so much for tesco saying they would never go above a £ per litre a while back. Still good thing is they are still doing the 5p per litre off when you get over £50 worth of shopping which is nice.

bring on another fuel strike
Same here at Tescos
Old 12 November 2007, 09:05 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My local BP is 109.9 per litre, im used to it now lol

Trending Topics

Old 12 November 2007, 09:37 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

We need rolling road blocks on all motorways. All it would take is 3 cars on each, the country would grind to a halt!
Old 12 November 2007, 09:41 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
We need rolling road blocks on all motorways. All it would take is 3 cars on each, the country would grind to a halt!
why?

when will people wake up and understand that the price is not going to come down ???

its only ever really going to go up!

this country is gay for protests, we as a nation dont have a spine, mass hysteria when the protests took place last time, huge ques iirc, when it was not needed, goons queuing to put 10p worth of fuel in "just in case"

we have proved ourselves to be a nation of idiots, and the government knows this LOL

personally i say raise the price a bit more and hopeful the amount of cars on the road will start dropping and i can have some fun again LOL
Old 12 November 2007, 09:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This is the fuel companies cashing in, don't tell me different. They keep on saying they make nowt from petrol, but you, me and the man at No 3 all know different

They have waited patiently for Joe Public to accept the £1 a litre, NOW watch the price fly!

Alcazar
Old 12 November 2007, 10:25 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
This is the fuel companies cashing in, don't tell me different. They keep on saying they make nowt from petrol, but you, me and the man at No 3 all know different

They have waited patiently for Joe Public to accept the £1 a litre, NOW watch the price fly!

Alcazar
Oh yes nothing to do with the uneccessarily nigh on 70% tax on it the government lay on it!
Old 12 November 2007, 10:30 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
why?
when will people wake up and understand that the price is not going to come down ???

Well after the last fuel protests the price dropped from 84p to 69p a litre. If it worked once it can work again.

As soon as a protest starts affecting the economy, then the government will take notice.
Old 12 November 2007, 10:31 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Oh yes nothing to do with the uneccessarily nigh on 70% tax on it the government lay on it!
Duty on fuel is not a percentage. The government get no more duty as a result of the fuel companies increasing the prices. Agree that the duty figure is too high, but in the current climate you should lobby the fuel companies just as much as the government if you want prices to come down.

If however you do lay the blame squarely at the door of the government why weren't you protesting 3 months ago before the price of crude rose anyway?
Old 12 November 2007, 11:20 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar

Are you serious? It's mostly the Government you are paying every time you fill up. 50odd pence in duty, then VAT on what the Petrol company charges you, and you pay VAT on the duty as well.

Compared to what the Government make on Fuel, the Petrol companies make a hell of a lot less out of you and me.

If thing carry on the way they are going, I will seriously consider buying a Diesel car. I can afford to run a performace petrol car, but just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I want to pay it.

The Government doesn't want to price us off the road, they just want to get as much cash from us as possible.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:22 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Duty on fuel is not a percentage. The government get no more duty as a result of the fuel companies increasing the prices.
Yes they do.

They charge VAT on the cost of both the Duty and the Oil companies price. So the more the Oil companies put of fuel the more the Governmet gets via VAT.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:27 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You guys know oil is approaching $100 a barrel don't you?
Old 12 November 2007, 11:36 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Yes they do.

They charge VAT on the cost of both the Duty and the Oil companies price. So the more the Oil companies put of fuel the more the Governmet gets via VAT.
True, but VAT is not duty which was exactly why my post was worded like that. The common misconception is that duty is a percentage where in actual fact it isn't, it is a flat rate.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:39 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There's been a big scandal here about VAT being calculated on (the price of the car plus car tax), therefore there's a tax on a tax - apparently illegal under EU law.

Is duty different? If not, VAT on duty is also a tax on a tax and thus illegal?

I don't know the details unfortunately.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:45 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
You guys know oil is approaching $100 a barrel don't you?
Indeed.

However, we are still way, way overcharged for our petrol. I mean in the states you are looking at $3.50 a gallon (met with general outrage). Now obviously a US gallon is smaller, but I would still quite like to pay £1.75 even for a US gallon, instead of the £5.63 I paid per UK gallon this morning.

I mean that is ****ing outrageous, especially as I pretty much have no option but to pay it.
Old 12 November 2007, 12:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice for Brown to stop picking ont he motorist to shore up this overpopulated free for all we call a country.
Old 12 November 2007, 12:56 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Indeed.

However, we are still way, way overcharged for our petrol. I mean in the states you are looking at $3.50 a gallon (met with general outrage). Now obviously a US gallon is smaller, but I would still quite like to pay £1.75 even for a US gallon, instead of the £5.63 I paid per UK gallon this morning.

I mean that is ****ing outrageous, especially as I pretty much have no option but to pay it.
$1.19 a litre i paid this morning in sunny brisbane, so about 52p a litre!
Old 12 November 2007, 01:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My 65mpg diesel is starting to make more and more sense

As for protests, you could block the mways with rolling roadblocks, but they wouldn't be much slower then the gridlock which clogs them every day anyway in many places. Also, after the last protests new laws were put in place which would see anyone causing any obstruction to fuel supplies being arrested immediately. The Army are all trained and geared up to step in if the hauliers join in too.
Old 12 November 2007, 01:21 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

as of today my vans running legally on veggie oil, mind you even thats bloody dear now

had enough of rip off diesel prices
Old 12 November 2007, 02:26 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Quote:
why?

Well after the last fuel protests the price dropped from 84p to 69p a litre. If it worked once it can work again.

As soon as a protest starts affecting the economy, then the government will take notice.
flawed logic, it came down a bit while they evaluated how to rape your wallet in a more cunning manner.
Old 12 November 2007, 02:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Double or treble the cost and price people off the roads is what I'd like to see. It would cut down on all these numpties driving to supermarkets to buy food and take their kids to school and leave nice empty roads for those of us that can afford it. (BTW I cycle to the shops for all my stuff and if I had kids they'd walk/catch the bus getting valuable exercise)
Likewise road pricing, bring it on- the increase in my quality of life because I wouldn't have to share the road with as many people would be well worth 10 times current costs.
Same reason I fly first class, holiday in places that toerag english football hooligans can't afford etc etc.
Old 12 November 2007, 02:36 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
LOOOOLLLL believe it or not.. u all getin knocked!!! its 98.9 in East London (Barking Road)
Old 12 November 2007, 02:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Why not just move to a country with a higher standard of living NACRO?
Old 12 November 2007, 02:39 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Why not just move to a country with a higher standard of living NACRO?
That's exactly what I've done, on more than one occasion. I do however retain interests in the UK which mean regular trips back to the septic isle.
Old 12 November 2007, 02:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I feel for you
Old 12 November 2007, 02:47 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I feel for you
Tell me about it, the miasma of depression which permeates the place the moment I step foot on British soil is disheartening to say the least.

The routine is something like this- drive off Eurotunnel-speed camera detector on, remember to be rude in kind to everyone I meet, expect to be overcharged for crap food and hotels, don't act surprised at the amount of obese, pasty, ignorant and horrible looking people there are and remember to speak English, after all they don't understand anything else........

Honestly it's a cesspit but when you're upto your neck in it I guess the stench is bearable.

Quick Reply: Petrol £1.15 a litre!!!!!!!