Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A sad day...first time burying a pet :(

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2007, 08:08 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A sad day...first time burying a pet :(

Well last night was meant to be a fun night, friday end of the week, time for a few drinks and an evening spent installing my new OS on my mac ..but

get a knock on the back door about 11p.m last night from one of my neighbours saying they think they have spotted our cat lying on the pavement just outside our house

Rush out there and sure enough , there he is, poor soul, dead on the pavement.
We live on a pretty fast road (rural) and although it is posted 40, people speed along it at speeds nearing 80-90 because it is a straight road. He has been dicing with death for the last few months since my girlfriend and him moved in and it was only a matter of time I suppose.

But to see him lying there all battered and in a terrible state, just broke my heart and I had the horrible task of telling my girlfriend this morning that he was gone. She has had him for 10 years and she was just devastated.

And so this afternoon, I had the horrible task of digging my first grave in the garden and burying the poor sod. I had no idea what to do, but I dug a deep hole and wrapped him in a plastic bag tied up so nothing could dig him up.

A truely horrible day and not one that i want to repeat soon. Its amazing how quick you can get attached to an animal in such a short time
Old 27 October 2007, 08:12 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry mate,feel for you..

Its awful if they die naturally but like that is horrible..
Old 27 October 2007, 08:14 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this Swiss.

Ant
Old 27 October 2007, 08:15 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to here that mate
Old 27 October 2007, 08:15 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

awwwww, Swiss
Old 27 October 2007, 08:20 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Awww sweetie, feel so sorry for you both
Old 27 October 2007, 08:31 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your comments , it does make it a bit easier

The girlfriend wanted to see him one last time before I buried him and I refused point blank as I havent told her what a state he was in, but she pleaded with me, so I relented and just showed her his face, which thankfully was at rest and not damaged..

This is one of the reasons why I have so far resisted getting any pets for my two boys, as I just cant bear to do all that again.
Old 27 October 2007, 08:52 PM
MK5
Scooby Regular

so sorry to hear this, its an awful feeling
Old 27 October 2007, 09:07 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Feel for ya mate, amazing how attached you get to them!
Old 27 October 2007, 09:21 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yep sorry to hear that mate am sure the cat could not have a more loving home from the sounds off things.

saddly we lost our 13 year old cross collie just a few weeks ago after she had to be put to sleep, one off the hardest days off my life and dont mind admitting that I did have a good cry about it over the following days, the house just is not the same anymore.

like yourself burried our pet in the rear garden and have just purchased a small memorial plaque from ebay to put on a bench around the area where she is burried, maybe worth a thought ??

again its sounds as if you gave you cat a loving home mate be proud off yourself and try remember all the nice thoughts off the wee thing you had in the time you had it.

all the best .
Old 27 October 2007, 09:40 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

I was really sorry to hear the news Chris I know Zoe was really attached to Joey and I can only imagine how much it hurts you both to have this happen to you

As you know, I love all animals and I know that when the time comes to say goodbye to my little dog Scoob (aka Rodders), hopefully after a full and healthy life, im going to be a broken hearted man for a long time I absolutely dread that day and really am gutted for your loss
Old 27 October 2007, 09:57 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Sorry to hear this unfortunate news Chris. Cats are very loving animals and it is easy to see why you got attached so quickly. Hope your better half isn't taking it too badly.
Old 27 October 2007, 11:48 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

It was really awful to hear the news this morning Chris because I remember her 1st getting him when he was a kitten. To lighten the moment here is probably the last photo I received of him

He looked perfectly happy there

RIP Joey (named after the friends character)
Old 28 October 2007, 12:05 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I planted a willow tree on my cats grave. It's now called Dylans Tree and is flourishing
Old 28 October 2007, 10:05 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that, horrible thing to deal with when they've been with you for so long.
Old 28 October 2007, 10:29 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Swiss.

As they say time is a great healer.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:36 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I am soo so sorry to hear that Chris. Being a Cat owner myself, I can imagine what you are your g/f are going though.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:43 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I'm really sorry to hear that Chris.
Old 28 October 2007, 12:02 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gutted for you mate, really am..
Old 28 October 2007, 12:03 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Old 28 October 2007, 02:57 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I feel for you Tony.

When I was lad I had a wee black & white border collie called "Meg". We had her for 10 years, having bought her from a farm at 8 weeks old. She got cancer of the bladder in her 10th year and quickly lost weight. I can remember taking her for what I know was to be her final walk in the hills, then taking her to the vet to be put down. Still remember the feeling of leaving the vet's that day with a leash but no dog attached to it.

Andy Mc
Old 28 October 2007, 03:42 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Well last night was meant to be a fun night, friday end of the week, time for a few drinks and an evening spent installing my new OS on my mac ..but

get a knock on the back door about 11p.m last night from one of my neighbours saying they think they have spotted our cat lying on the pavement just outside our house

Rush out there and sure enough , there he is, poor soul, dead on the pavement.
We live on a pretty fast road (rural) and although it is posted 40, people speed along it at speeds nearing 80-90 because it is a straight road. He has been dicing with death for the last few months since my girlfriend and him moved in and it was only a matter of time I suppose.

But to see him lying there all battered and in a terrible state, just broke my heart and I had the horrible task of telling my girlfriend this morning that he was gone. She has had him for 10 years and she was just devastated.

And so this afternoon, I had the horrible task of digging my first grave in the garden and burying the poor sod. I had no idea what to do, but I dug a deep hole and wrapped him in a plastic bag tied up so nothing could dig him up.

A truely horrible day and not one that i want to repeat soon. Its amazing how quick you can get attached to an animal in such a short time
Strange this as this afternoon my 9 year old daughter came running in house histrical screaming her heart out hardly able to string her words together, "Mum Diesel (her cat)is laying in the road with blood everywhere help me..". i run out bear footed to find the cat she has had since she was 2 laying in the road having a fit. It was such a horriable sight and the poor fella died in my arms in front of her, it only happened a few feet from our house and the person who done this must of felt the hit but havent had the desentsy to come and let us know or even stop.
Old 28 October 2007, 07:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Tony, I saw a little black cat dead at the side of the road the other day, always upsetting, I mean a bird or a Badger is one thing but you know someone is going to miss a pet cat.

I got told by my dad that my adopted dog 'Tina' had been hit by a car, a little scruff Mongrel, very intelligent that used to 'call' for me and my mate Rob, many happy day spent with this daft dog, like one of the gang, I was told our neighbour had seen her run out in front of a car and get killed, it didnt ring true s to be honest she had better road sense than either me or Rob, got told twenty years later her owners were moving away and didnt want the dog so had her put down.
Old 28 October 2007, 08:04 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that Chris.
Old 28 October 2007, 08:16 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO
got told twenty years later her owners were moving away and didnt want the dog so had her put down.
Thats disgusting. Animals that they are, they are part of anyones family & the little things have feelings just like us. Your neighbours should have been put down for that. Scum
Old 28 October 2007, 08:48 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

They certainly are part of the family. Our life revolves around ours. She's got us wrapped around her little paw! When we had to have our last one (Prussia) put to sleep , quite suddenly at the age of 18, it was heartbreaking. My husband said he didn't think he could go through it again, but we'd had 18 years of her affection. We got Rosie one month later, from the same breeder.
Old 28 October 2007, 10:29 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Sorry to hear of your loss Chris
Old 28 October 2007, 10:38 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Sad news, sorry to hear it mate
Old 28 October 2007, 11:00 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Well i am greatly touched by all the comments and thoughts from people on here, especially the people who have taken the time and effort to post when I dont even know them..thank you .

My g/f has read all the posts on here and it certainly has made it easier for her, though we are now deliberating whether it is wise to get another cat.
I just think the road is too dangerous to chance it..

But we shall see...

Thank you once again
Old 29 October 2007, 01:30 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Well i am greatly touched by all the comments and thoughts from people on here, especially the people who have taken the time and effort to post when I dont even know them..thank you .

My g/f has read all the posts on here and it certainly has made it easier for her, though we are now deliberating whether it is wise to get another cat.
I just think the road is too dangerous to chance it..

But we shall see...

Thank you once again

Quick Reply: A sad day...first time burying a pet :(