Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will CURRYS Come Good??

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2007, 08:39 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Will CURRYS Come Good??

My LG 42" Plasma has a flashing bright green pixel ..... Currys 'Tech Guys' been to look at it about 1 month ago. 2 Technicians arrive and cannot agree whether I should get a new panel.

They decide it's tough luck for me and, although the TV is faulty, they will not rectify the fault.

I write to the MD at Currys, he arranges another visit (not him! ) today - but, he says in his letter, the TV has a 'PURITY' Fault but is within Manufacturing Spec.

Well, how would they feel if my Credit Card had a 'PURITY' Fault and only paid them what the TV was worth???? Hmmmmmm, I doubt they would be best pleased!!

Anyone been here before? Anyone know what the 'accepted' view is?

As I understood it - the faulty pixel tolerance only applied to PC Monitors and not Home TV's.

It's one Pixel out of a million - but, it is ruining my viewing pleasure - does that count?

If they take it away do they leave another TV or am I lost for months while they replace the panel? Can I demand they take the TV when they have the panel ready to fit? Will it come back in a worse condition than it left me, and can I get them to sign to say it is perfect with no scratches on the cabinet?

Interested in your views.

I'm sure John Lewis would treat me better - what do you think?
Old 17 October 2007, 08:48 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get your money back get a viera
Old 17 October 2007, 08:50 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, sadly the Viera cannot live with the LG in pure Picture Quality - but that dispute has been done to death.

Anyone, any answers on the issue of faulty pixels and warranty issues and Currys?
Old 17 October 2007, 08:51 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

There are ways you can try and deal with this, some are strictly legal, others are not.

For example, they are likely to be correct in stating that the TV is within spec. However, should the TV develop another fault that stopped it from working then they would have to replace it. How that fault develops is the grey area, as one may decide to encourage the issue

Other than that, you can try and get recourse under the Sales of Goods Act by saying the goods are not fit for purpose. A new television should not have the fault you describe (this may be hard to prove).

Another argument could be that they never informed you of the exact terms of repair, and that you expected a new television to be in perfect condition. You could try and argue that you are entitled to your money back as the salesman in the shop no doubt told you the TV was going to be amazing, without bothering to tell you that it could have faults they would not fix.

Easiest options is the first one
Old 17 October 2007, 08:55 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Not much use to you now - But I would have taken it back to the shop the second I opened it and noticed it and got my money back if there weren't prepared to replace it. I presume this wasnt an option?

As for "the Tech guys" they really are the the most useless bunch of idiots on the planet. You know those "learn direct" computer courses that promise a career in IT? Guess where all the "graduates" end up. They have not got a clue. I had a laptop from PC world go on me the other week (the scnree knackered). It got sent back to "the tech guys" and came back working, but somehow they had managed to screw up the installation of vista completely. I had to remove, then reinstall all the updates and change registry settings to get it working.

FWIW, Pete, I would absolutely insist on a new screen. I would not trust the tech guys to repair a broken drawer.
Old 17 October 2007, 08:56 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Trouble with the first one is that they can fix most things which 'may happen' - say if a capacitor tombstoned on the PCB due to heat (simple to do) ... they would replace that PCB. Panel fault still there.

I think my best course of action is that I was not made aware of the warranty limitations, was mis-sold the TV as the salesman said it would improve my viewing pleasure over my CRT (clearly untrue).
Old 17 October 2007, 08:57 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Pete, the paper work you got with the screen should have some form of manufacturers warranty. In there it should detail anythink about pixel faults etc. Or you could contact LG direct.

It's LG that set what is and isn't within tolerance on the screen, not Currys - as obviously all currys do is claim back off LG
Old 17 October 2007, 08:58 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Pete Brant - not sure I can insist on a new screen if they offer to repair it??

Not sure whether a new panel would mean a new Tv anyway - the cost of replacing the panel and labour would surely be higher than a new TV??
Old 17 October 2007, 09:05 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pslewis
Hmmmm, sadly the Viera cannot live with the LG in pure Picture Quality - but that dispute has been done to death.
LMFAO... Good joke there Pete. Thats what you get for

a) Not Buying a Plasma and

b) Getting what you pay for

Anyway, in all seriousness, as far as LCD's go, Im pretty sure that there has to be so many dead pixels on the screen (like more than 8 although 12 is ringing a bell) before they class the screen as faulty.

I may be wrong but 95% sure Ive read this before. Thats what they would have meant by saying its still within the manufacters spec.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:06 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Just dug out the Warranty paperwork - the only Terms and Conditions are those if I buy the 'Extended Plan' ..... which states:-

"Repairs due to pixl (thats how they have spelt it) failure where the number or location is not in excess of the Manufacturer's Acceptable Limits."

Not sure if that applies to the first 12 months warranty.

How do I klnow what the Acceptable Limits are???????
Old 17 October 2007, 09:10 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Now found the 12 Month Guarantee ...... no mention of pixel failure being excluded in those Terms and Conditions!!

Have I got them??
Old 17 October 2007, 09:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Pete Brant - not sure I can insist on a new screen if they offer to repair it??

Not sure whether a new panel would mean a new Tv anyway - the cost of replacing the panel and labour would surely be higher than a new TV??
It entirely depends on the company - I beleive with the Currys group, that if you return it as faulty within the first 28 days, they replace it - if it is after that , they reserve the right to repair it.

However, that isn't a hard and fast rule. Maybe if you went into a Currys store armed with the screen and an angry demenour, then you may get a new one out of them.

Worked for my ex, but then she is a fearsome person when she has the hump.

When I say "new screen" I, of course mean a new "set".
Old 17 October 2007, 09:11 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
LMFAO... Good joke there Pete. Thats what you get for

a) Not Buying a Plasma and
It IS a Plasma ........ are the rules different?
Old 17 October 2007, 09:15 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Difficult to get a 42" Screen under your arm and march into the store!

I am more fearsome when in battle with shops than anyone I know - it's whether it's worth it in this case (as the fault isn't that bad - it's just annoying in dark scenes) AND I don't see why I should have to put up with it.

Trouble with me is that when someone says I can't ......... I damned well make sure I CAN! Hence the 'Tech Guys' saying I can't have a new panel ... just gets my back up (and they don't fill you with confidence either do they?)

What would John Lewis do? I'm convinced they would simply replace - but, I may be wrong?
Old 17 October 2007, 09:17 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Difficult to get a 42" Screen under your arm and march into the store!

I am more fearsome when in battle with shops than anyone I know - it's whether it's worth it in this case (as the fault isn't that bad - it's just annoying in dark scenes) AND I don't see why I should have to put up with it.

Trouble with me is that when someone says I can't ......... I damned well make sure I CAN! Hence the 'Tech Guys' saying I can't have a new panel ... just gets my back up (and they don't fill you with confidence either do they?)

Have a look at the manufacturers warranty - or even contact LG - Find out what thier policy is re plasmas with a defective display - You may find that is the route that will give you the best success.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:19 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ah sorry, must pay more attention when reading your posts.

Its extremely rare to get a dead pixel on a Plasma

Generally warranties on plasma display panels vary from one to five years (depending on brand and model), and most exclude:

Dead Pixels - unless there’s more of them than the manufacturer deems acceptable

Burn-in

Heat-related problems

When it comes to the dead pixels issue, return policies from manufacturers vary depending on the actual number of bad pixels and their placement. The presence of bad pixels does not automatically qualify a unit as defective, but the unit may always be returned to the manufacturer for evaluation. Every occurrence is most often treated on a case by case basis.

The number of dead pixels that’ll be covered by the warranty isn’t always stated, and varies between manufactures. Some warranties are vague in this respect, using phrases like “within normal commercial tolerance” to describe pixel failure.

Luckily, some manufactures are realizing that what may be acceptable to their quality control standards, need not necessarily be so to the end customer; for this purpose, there is a shift among manufacturers towards a 'zero bad pixel' warranty - among these one finds Samsung and Viewsonic.

Keep in mind however that this is still not the norm with most manufacturers.

Putting the manufacturer to one side I think the only way you'll get anything from Currys is, as PeteBrant suggests, take the hardline and go instore yelling at the Manager.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:20 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

See, this is where you slip the Techies £20 and offer them a can of lager when they get to your house. Suggest a new panel will be of preference. Job done
Old 17 October 2007, 09:21 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

See, this is where you slip the Techies £20 and offer them a can of lager when they get to your house. Suggest a new panel will be of preference. Job done
That's actually a pretty good suggestion.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:23 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

What would John Lewis do? I'm convinced they would simply replace - but, I may be wrong?
John Lewis would replace it. Simple lesson - the cheapest option isn't always a bargain.

5t.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:23 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Yes, I am aware of the 'other' routes - BUT they say that LG will NOT supply a new panel unless this one is outside tolerance. Indicating that they are in LGs hands as it were.

I also had a run-in with LG a couple of years ago and they probably have me on file still
Old 17 October 2007, 09:25 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
John Lewis would replace it. Simple lesson - the cheapest option isn't always a bargain.

5t.
John Lewis would have matched the price AND given a 5 Year warranty free - BUT, there isn't one local to me (and I'm not sure they stocked this TV).
Old 17 October 2007, 09:25 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

But you dont give a toss what LG say, you didnt buy it from them, you are the customer of Currys and you expect Currys to make you happy. If Currys are supplying products from a manufacturer with such policies then thats their problem Since youve missed the boat with the techies then Id say you have to take the hard line IMO.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:34 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmmm, sadly the Viera cannot live with the LG in pure Picture Quality -
So is the LG with a dead pixel still better that a Viera?
Old 17 October 2007, 09:39 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar problem pete, tell them it has back light leakage. Something that cannot be tested during the daytime as it only occurs when watching films at night! After lots of conflab with the engineer, engineer writes you out a code for replacement or refund just to get out the house !

I can provide pictures, easily obtained for the home visit !

Currys are total ***** when it come to faults, you have to cheat !
Old 17 October 2007, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you have a right to expect a perfect screen since they do not quote any specification as far as defective pixels is concerned. They cannot expect you to have to watch television with a bright green pixel flashing at you.

Its all very well talikng about the screen being in spec. but they must state what that spec. is. That could vary from one make of screen to another anyway.

Les
Old 17 October 2007, 12:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
So is the LG with a dead pixel still better that a Viera?
Without a doubt IMO - the remaining 999,999 pixles are far superior - the wife and daughter don't notice the pixel ..... I do, and by the end of the evening it has grown to a dinnerplate size!!
Old 17 October 2007, 12:15 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I got my old Tosh replaced by Curry's after having it 6 months - TV developed an intermittant fault that the engineers couldnt replicate in their workshop - the panel wasnt lighting up for reason so all I got was sound.

Eventually the engineers got so sick of me ringing to tell them the tv was still playing up they wrote it off and gave me an uplift number which is what Currys need to do a replacement.

Good thing was they gave me the price that I paid for it 6 months earlier which I put towards a proper telly - Sony Bravia with 1080p, never looked back since.

To be honest, IMHO if a telly doesnt have Sony or Panasonic written on it, its not worth bothering with...
Old 17 October 2007, 12:16 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Yes I've got a lovely Sony TV, never had any problems with it.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:26 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by messiah
To be honest, IMHO if a telly doesnt have Sony or Panasonic written on it, its not worth bothering with...
What about Pioneer?
Old 17 October 2007, 12:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My Sony plasma is really very good-pity they don't do Plasmas any more.

Les

Quick Reply: Will CURRYS Come Good??