Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any bt engineers / wiring experts on here?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2007, 04:22 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any bt engineers / wiring experts on here?

Basic story is moved into a new build house and had to wait 3 months for a bt line as the exchange had ran out of capacity. Offshot of this is I have a nice connection on sky max llu broadband at roughly 12mb. Sky tier 3 have actually set my line onto a 16mb profile and said it was a good line with few errors so they left it at that.
My issues is with internal wiring, it is weird.
It is a 3 storey house with telephone points on all floors. On the ground floor I have nothing connected to it and then on the second floor I have my router plugged into a adsl nation filtered faceplate, then on the top floor there is another phone faceplate.
My problem is that none of the phone extensions have the bt a and b wires that run outside the house its all internal type wiring. Now heres is the really weird part. The ground floor faceplate has 4 wires going into it, 2 x blue white, 2 x white blue. To check to see if I got a better signal on the adsl I disconnected the 2 paired cables (the ones going into the same sleeve if you know what I mean) This I thought would disconnect the other 2 faceplaces, but no, all 3 no longer had a telephone line or adsl signal.
No problem I thought, I will just use the other pair instead so swapped them over. Again same problem of no tone/signal. If however I use one of each pair then it works.
Basically it is as though all of the internal wiring is on some kind of loop but I dont know where the bt A & B wires are.
Any ideas anyone or is it a case of going outside where the cable comes to the house?
Cheers
James
Old 27 September 2007, 04:25 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

James i have sent you a PM.
Old 27 September 2007, 07:01 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

pm responded to. Here are some pics of various faceplates and external wiring

wiring outside the black sleeved wiring has the blue/white and white/blue connected to 1 lot of internal wiring

This is the ground floor socket. You can see 2 lots of wires into this (2 sleeved cables)

This is the filtered faceplate on the 1st floor that the router is connected to and also the phone.

The extension on the 2nd floor is the same as the ground floor except it only has 1 sleeved cable going into it with 1 set of blue/white and white/blue
Old 27 September 2007, 07:32 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

All you got coming into the building is the BT wiring on the ground floor. When you look at the ground floor face plate, the reason you have 2 lots of wiring is because 1 set is the external wiring, the second lot is just paralleled off to the upstairs socket. The blue/white white/blue is just the audio pair.

On the ground floor are 2 wires punched into pin 2 and 2 wires punched into pin 5? But upstairs you just have 1 wire each going into 2 and 5? If so it sounds completely normal to me.

The way you describe it though is as if all the phone sockets are wired in Series so if one wire breaks then none of the sockets work. Can you confirm any of that?
Old 27 September 2007, 07:37 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Agree with davegtt. Sounds normal.

If you're just trying to locate the master socket (socket BT external wiring runs in to) then it's pretty safe to say it's the ground floor socket. Especially if that socket is on the other side of the wall to the BT wires you can see outside.

I still think getting 12mb from an "up to 16mb" package is pretty good though. Better than the 4mb from an "up to 8mb" connection I have.
Old 27 September 2007, 07:45 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The Blue & Blue white are (usually) the main pair from the Drop Cable that should be connected to the screw terminals on the back of your MASTER socket (the one in 2 halves with the electronic bits inside) - is this your ADSL nation one? The orange white is the ringer wire that can generally be left disconnected at all sockets as it it no longer used (agin BT WILL connect this wire - you can disconnect it!) I generally wouldnt worry about anything else its just other colour cores to the rest of the extensions - if your line holds a full 12mb signal ADSL then you've got a better line than 99% of the rest of the UK.....!

Also touching the drop cable & master socket is a big no no as far as BT are concerned.........don't ever admit it to BT.........
Old 27 September 2007, 07:53 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Not much difference in a master and slave socket, I wouldnt worry about, all the master socket does is provide an audioable ring basically
Old 27 September 2007, 07:58 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I think our references to master socket were in terms of the first socket in the house which is what jaytc was trying to find.
Old 27 September 2007, 09:41 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

master socket is on the first floor, (somehow it got moved from the ground floor and luckily my router is on the 1st floor )

My first thoughts were that the wires going into the socket were from the drop cable, however if I seperate 1 pair of cable (remember there are 2 sets of cable both containing the relevant blue/white, white/blue wires) then none of the phones work so it has some weird wiring internally that is hidden away.

What I am going to do is on the ground floor, I will join both sets of wires to each other with electrical connectors and connect the orange/white to 2 and the white/orange to 5, then from the filtered faceplate on the 1st floor I will connect orange/white to 2 and white/orange to 5 so it gives a filtered tone signal back to the ground floor this should increase my snr which will allow me to get better speeds (bearing in mind I have a 16mb conection )

I will post back any im,provements tomorow