Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Apparently Mama's got a Squeezebox...
She certainly has
Old 26 September 2007, 10:58 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

connects wired or wirelessly (depending on version) to your mp3 connection, outputs to amp/hifi.

you control the selection of the tracks, the hifi just sees it as a single input.

enough ?
Old 27 September 2007, 07:32 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The idea is, your PC runs a program in the background called SlimServer. Your MP3 collection is stored on your PC's hard drive, and SlimServer compiles a database of your music, indexed by artist, album, genre, year and so on.

The Squeezebox connects to your network - it has a wi-fi card built in - and to your hi-fi amplifier. You pick tracks from the database using the remote control, and the music is streamed from your PC over the network.

This does mean your PC needs to be on all the time you're listening to music - but you can also get NAS (network attached storage) drives which have SlimServer built in. That's what I do; the NAS holds all my music and lives out of the way in an upstairs bedroom, and the Squeezebox talks to it over the wireless network.
Old 27 September 2007, 07:57 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

A concertinaed air chamber is used to force air through outlets with tuned resonating inserts. The outlets are selected by a series of buttons operated by the fingers, while the air chamber is is deflated and inflated by hand pressure. The resulting cacophony is one that should not be witnessed by any human provided with ears, unless utterly inebriate by ingestion of dark-brown ales with improbable names.
Old 27 September 2007, 11:19 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
The idea is, your PC runs a program in the background called SlimServer. Your MP3 collection is stored on your PC's hard drive, and SlimServer compiles a database of your music, indexed by artist, album, genre, year and so on.

The Squeezebox connects to your network - it has a wi-fi card built in - and to your hi-fi amplifier. You pick tracks from the database using the remote control, and the music is streamed from your PC over the network.

This does mean your PC needs to be on all the time you're listening to music - but you can also get NAS (network attached storage) drives which have SlimServer built in. That's what I do; the NAS holds all my music and lives out of the way in an upstairs bedroom, and the Squeezebox talks to it over the wireless network.
It talks to the pc via wifi but how does it talk to the amp? A wired connection?
Do you tend to get a distortion to the music because its being 'transmitted'?
Is the music cd quality if uncompressed files are used?

Many thanks
Old 27 September 2007, 11:47 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

A mate's got one, seems to work well. But then it should, being pumped through 10s of kilos of Pioneer amp and a 7.1 sound system.

J.
Old 27 September 2007, 12:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
It talks to the pc via wifi but how does it talk to the amp? A wired connection?
Do you tend to get a distortion to the music because its being 'transmitted'?
Is the music cd quality if uncompressed files are used?

Many thanks
It has an ordinary pair of analogue outputs, just like any other hi-fi separate. It also has both coax and optical S/PDIF outputs, so you can connect it to a separate DAC or an A/V amp with digital inputs.

If you use uncompressed formats (I personally use FLAC) then the music sounds exactly the same as the original CD. There is no degradation just because a computer network is involved.