Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to confirm someones residence?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2007, 08:58 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to confirm someones residence?

Ok long story short....

Ebay sale went wrong, goods were sent out and the paypal payment was reversed due to me being paid via fraudulent funds. I contact the buyer and insist that I recieve payment for the goods, he eventually agrees but no payment made.

I go thru the courts and the baliffs are now after him but cant get an answer at his door to execute the warrant. Baliff has his mobile which he has rang and the guy has promised to pay etc etc (no chance) but this still doesnt prove that he still lives at the address that the baliff has.

What can I do to make sure he still lives at this address. I have tried electoral registers etc but no joy. Apart from actually going down there what can I do? Sneaky "You have won a...." letter maybe with a respose required?
Old 06 September 2007, 10:08 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you carnt
Old 06 September 2007, 10:16 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

How much are we talking about?
Old 06 September 2007, 10:16 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could make up a fake letter from Natwest/Halifax or somewhere saying they are closing down an inactive bank account which has a ballance that needs to be claimed, put your number on it as contact
Old 07 September 2007, 08:34 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am tempted to send the letter thing but not going to do it for a bank or the like cause he could just go to his local branch etc. Its gotta be a prize draw fund kinda letter I think. Failing that I could just go know on his door!
Old 07 September 2007, 10:01 PM
coolcookie
Scooby Newbie

You could look up the electoral role for the area. Not too difficult if its not far away. You need to have his correct address. ebay of course are useless and won't help you at all. Search for People, Businesses and Maps - 192.com is good also. You did well to get the CCJ but if he knows that he's not going to pay then your problem is to force him to. If the CCJ is for the right address then he'll have a problem next time he wants credit. I delayed a debtor of mine's mortgage application for about 6 months. He also was arrested by the bailiffs for failing to attend an oral examination to his means and the judge gave him 5 days in Pentonville, unfortunately suspended. Some small satisfaction, though. I bet he was worried when standing before the wigged wizard.

If it's for a substantial sum, I'd get the oral exam next. Then you meet him at the court face to face if you want. He gives his statement on oath so its perjury if you can prove its false. Require him to give details of all bank accounts, employer etc so you have the option of garnishee proceedings. I did that on the executors of one rat's dead mother! Great.

Don't forget to add all your expenses from the date of judgement. And claim interest. He's liable. It's not like before; you each pay your own costs to get the case heard. Now it's all down to the judgement debtor.

Good luck.
Old 07 September 2007, 10:13 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

So how can you knock on his door when the bailiffs can't find him? Not very good bailiffs.

Apart from that you could be done for trespass.