Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I can't believe this government/this country...

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2002, 06:19 PM
CJJ2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The government have firmly told the mobile phone manufacturers they MUST make phones less worthwhile to steal!

[SoapBox Mode]
I know kids are getting mugged for mobiles. Someone got shot in the head for a mobile in London last week.
But this is all wrong!

Angela Rippon got mugged for her Rolex watch and jewellry a while ago.
Should the government tell Rolex to make less desirable watches ?

They just pass the responsibilty for violent crime over to the manufacturers of desirable products!
This should be a policing issue, when scumbags can't or don't want to steal mobiles anymore the same scumbags will turn their attention to something else. Then all the effort and expense (which WILL be passed on to the consumer) of making mobiles unstealable is wasted.

Can we not own desirable things, like performance cars, without some scumbag trying to take them from us!

What do we have to do to realign the governments priorities ?

Also why are speeding motorists such a high priority when people are being stabbed in the head with screwdrivers because they don't want somebody taking their property?

[/SoapBox Mode]
Old 06 January 2002, 06:25 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

There was a guy who wrote to Evo (this months' letters pages) with a letter entitled "Call to arms" - basically moaning about the governments' attitude toward the motorist.

He was spot on - the only thing MPs are interested in is votes - so ask them what they are going to do about things like this, and if you don't like what you hear, tell them that they've lost your vote.

It's sad but a fact of life now - anyone who works hard for what they want and has something nicer than others is penalised and looked down upon.

Den
Old 06 January 2002, 06:33 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I doubt this attitude will change, as long as the motorist remains an easy source of income for the government.
Old 06 January 2002, 10:24 PM
Luke
BANNED

For Sale .The word "Great" £3.74 cash.No longer required, Once used in title for this country....
Old 07 January 2002, 08:38 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

mmm... depends whats actually meant. If its "make phones less desirable to theives", i.e. harder to use after they've stolen, which is what i took it to mean, then that sounds fine.

The parrallel would be car manufacturers being "forced" to fit immobilisers and alarms to their cars to help prevent theft.

I dont really see why you're giving the government a hard time about this... ?

Old 07 January 2002, 09:34 AM
CJJ2
Scooby Regular

Angry

I understand your point about immobilisers and alarms but come on who pays attention when a car alarm goes off ?
Performance motorbikes have alarms and immobilisers but in recent tests it hasn't stopped bikes being stolen.

The point was that people have lot's of valuable posessions that technology cannot make unstealable.
What can you do to a Rolex watch ? surgically bolt it to your wrist, maybe fit a Tracker !

Kids are being savagely attacked for their mobile phones. It's sick.
If mobile manufacturers make phones not worthwhile stealing then the sick scumbag will beat the kid senseless for some of his(her) other posessions.
The mobile manufacturers will have been forced to spend time and money implementing this because the government won't/can't tackle the underlying problem.

The point is kids will still get harmed cos they are easy targets for cowardly thieves.

The government can't pass this problem over to mobile phone manufacturers for an easy solution.
Old 07 January 2002, 09:43 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe there have been so many anti government threads on here recently because everyone is fed up with this bunch of lightweights running the country so poorly and not addressing real issues just looking to kiss yank *** and get votes.

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2002, 10:15 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

can't believe.............leave!
Do you have a better suggestion of how to stop the flood of violent muggings soley taking place to purloin mobile phones? Last year 25,000 people were mugged for their mobiles. This is a new problem which will become even worse when phones become more sophisticated than the already are in the UK at the moment. Short of not using your mobile in public what else can be done?
Old 07 January 2002, 10:40 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

Short of not using your mobile in public what else can be done?
Proper punishment would be a start. Our local paper reported before xmas about a 20 year who was sent to jail for 6 months, his first ever prison sentance despite appearing in court 30odd times for personal thefts and voilent crimes[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Every time a little ****** like this gets off, it just encourages the next ****** that he/she will get away with it too!!!
Old 07 January 2002, 10:57 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

If you are not in public then you'll be at home or work so would use the ground lines - so are our phones comletely redundant then!?
Old 07 January 2002, 11:00 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Given that the police forces had a whale of a time when fines from speed cameras went back into their pockets, how about making fines from other crimes go back to the police too - then they would have a bit of an incentive to catch real criminals.