Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Abuse of power!

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2007, 11:24 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abuse of power!

There seems to be a lot of baiting going on by unmarked traffic plod around the Warwickshire area atm. I dont know if this is bcs the traffic plod cant resist the new toys or what? I know of a few ppl being harassed by tail gaiting on the Fosse for example.

What is the correct (legal) course of action to take? It really rattles my cage that they are allowed to use these entrapment tactics on ppl but I am sure slamming my brakes on or giving them the bird etc will do me no good?!

I do tend to over react to ppl that endanger me like that so how should I work it if I find one of these power abusing Muppets on my tail? This is just another example of why I cant stand the plod and how they do nothing to rally any public support or respect.

As an aside, and another great example. I saw a marked car in Wariwck recently. Plod parked in the clamping zone near the bank. One of them went to the sandwich shop to get food. The other watch the clampers clamp someones car, happily sitting in the yellow box himself. I was mumbling chick **** at the clamper for not doing it to the plod car. One rule for one... etc bt dont get me started...

This country...
Old 29 August 2007, 11:25 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what cars are they using on the fosse?
Old 29 August 2007, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well they might be sorry when you have to brake hard to miss the cat that ran into the road!

Les
Old 29 August 2007, 11:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Another examople if you will
Watched a traffic warden park his snazzy council scooter on double yellows the other day and proced to ticket a motorist for doing the same.

One rule for one agian,

IMHO m-If the Police want and in many cases need our support then they should endeavoiour to earn our respect. Whilst i am sure most cops do, it is a shame that some let the side down.
Old 29 August 2007, 11:46 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

jjones, there are a number of cars lurking in this area. Black Scoob, silver Porker, couple of ST Focus...

It makes you feel like that Les but what are the chances of making a claim if its two plodders word against yours? One way or another I'd be stitched up and have a busted car to add to the insualt!
Old 29 August 2007, 11:53 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Mold's... they went in to the back of you..... their problem for driving too close..... insurance will deal with it
Old 29 August 2007, 11:59 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

get ya mate to hang out the window with a camcorder and get ya self some hard evidence!
Old 29 August 2007, 12:23 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Tailgating unmarked police cars has been a common problem for ages now.

Recently a friend of mine had one goading him along some country lanes, he stuck rigidly to the 60mph limit on the straights but went round bends slightly faster than one would normally do beacuse of this (not speeding though); Of course he got pulled, had to provide details and told to "take it easy" with the safety aspect of "what if" scienarios. However point in question was turned on its head, when the (polite) reply was; What about the following car was tailgating me so close that it would not have time to react should I have to perform an emergency stop, endangering myself beacuse of following car's (in your case, your)actions.

He was advised not to take the conversation further and go on his way

What do I do? Well had it happen on a number of occasions, usually I slow right down to well below the posting limit, and observe what they do. If there is a layby ahead I'll pull into it and see what happens (only if I'm sure its a cop car).

When pulled I always make sure that I go a bit further albeit at a steady pace......and when I do pull over; I apologise and state that I couldn't see the lights in the grill (or roof for a marked car) as they tailgating so close all I could see in the mirrors was the windscreen....I never get a response from that one But I'm waiting for the day for one to question my response and I'll ask them see what parts of a the following car they can see in my mirrors whilst a car is following within 3ft of the rear bumper. (of course I'll only do that if I certain that I've done nothing wrong otherwise it a case of Mr sheepish, "so sorry officer" in the politest way possible - without being condiscending ).
Old 29 August 2007, 12:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Molds, there is also a silver Skoda lurking in the area a fair bit.
Old 29 August 2007, 12:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

well im sorry but the answer is dont speed and you wont get caught
Old 29 August 2007, 01:13 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

yeah but the fosse just screams 'faster, faster'
i drive down the fosse faster than i do the motorway, its a fun road
Old 29 August 2007, 01:46 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu
yeah but the fosse just screams 'faster, faster'
i drive down the fosse faster than i do the motorway, its a fun road
Unfortunately though with statements like that the plod have every reason to hang about there like a bad smell to catch speeders.

Baiting however is a different matter particularly in the type of country we now live in when somebody pushing you from behind could well be a loony wanting to mate cars for the hell of it. Particularly at night instinct says you want to try and put a little distance between the 2 cars without making it too obvious. Bingo, you're done for exceeding the speed limit.
Old 29 August 2007, 02:05 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

j4ckos mate: You missed the point completely if thats a reply to this topic in general...

Spoon: There have been cases reported on here when people have reacted without realising it was plod and got busted with what you said in mind

>>>Baiting however is a different matter particularly in the type of country we now live in when somebody pushing you from behind could well be a loony wanting to mate cars for the hell of it. Particularly at night instinct says you want to try and put a little distance between the 2 cars without making it too obvious. Bingo, you're done for exceeding the speed limit<<<

I wonder what the brief is before the unmarked cars go out? "Right lads, get out there. Enjoy those performance cars. See how many other performance cars you can bait into breaking the speed limit and bust 'em! Oh, and use any means necessary, dont worry about tailgaiting etc. as they'll never be able to do anything about it and its your word against theres..."
Old 29 August 2007, 02:10 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

There's plenty of idiots to pick out on the road anyway, why would the police need to "bait" a normal driver?
Old 29 August 2007, 02:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Tailgating unmarked police cars has been a common problem for ages now.

Recently a friend of mine had one goading him along some country lanes, he stuck rigidly to the 60mph limit on the straights but went round bends slightly faster than one would normally do beacuse of this (not speeding though); Of course he got pulled, had to provide details and told to "take it easy" with the safety aspect of "what if" scienarios. However point in question was turned on its head, when the (polite) reply was; What about the following car was tailgating me so close that it would not have time to react should I have to perform an emergency stop, endangering myself beacuse of following car's (in your case, your)actions.

He was advised not to take the conversation further and go on his way

What do I do? Well had it happen on a number of occasions, usually I slow right down to well below the posting limit, and observe what they do. If there is a layby ahead I'll pull into it and see what happens (only if I'm sure its a cop car).

When pulled I always make sure that I go a bit further albeit at a steady pace......and when I do pull over; I apologise and state that I couldn't see the lights in the grill (or roof for a marked car) as they tailgating so close all I could see in the mirrors was the windscreen....I never get a response from that one But I'm waiting for the day for one to question my response and I'll ask them see what parts of a the following car they can see in my mirrors whilst a car is following within 3ft of the rear bumper. (of course I'll only do that if I certain that I've done nothing wrong otherwise it a case of Mr sheepish, "so sorry officer" in the politest way possible - without being condiscending ).
I did exactly the same as your friend when I was followed closely by a car, but he was not tailgating me too closely for safety at least. It was late at night and he eventually pulled me after a lengthy run. He said he wanted to check if I had been drinking which was fair enough and was polite too. He mentioned that I obviously liked using my Mini's roadholding capabilities and I had no option but to agree. He had been doing pretty well pedalling his police car round the bends anyway and I think he enjoyed it as much as I did.

Les
Old 29 August 2007, 02:15 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

your post starts "There seems to be a lot of baiting going on by unmarked traffic plod around the Warwickshire area atm. I dont know if this is bcs the traffic plod cant resist the new toys or what? I know of a few ppl being harassed by tail gaiting on the Fosse for example."

and the answer is still dont speed let them go up your **** they will be suspended and your claim gets fired off.
one less on the road you get a few quid (albeit with a bit of trouble).
Old 29 August 2007, 02:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

What not to do
Don't brake test them. If they do hit you, expect them to counter with a dangerous driving charge and it won't do you much good if your suffering the effects of whiplash for the rest of your life.

What to do
If you can safetly and leagally put somebody else between you and them by overtaking for example then do so. If not, gradually slow down, if at 1/2 the speed limit they are still there, open window and wave them by while slowing further.
Old 29 August 2007, 02:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

That was a announcement from the 'Road Safety Campaign 1999' They advise against putting your hand out of the window now as it could be shot off.
Old 29 August 2007, 02:32 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoon
That was a announcement from the 'Road Safety Campaign 1999' They advise against putting your hand out of the window now as it could be shot off.
Only if your from Brazil and called Charles
Old 29 August 2007, 03:00 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Spoon
Molds, there is also a silver Skoda lurking in the area a fair bit.
I saw that one last week on the M6 southbound, just before J1. The only thing giving it away (i was driving Northbound) were the alternate-flashing rear lights.

mb
Old 31 August 2007, 03:06 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A rear facing bullet cam connected to a video recorder.
If you can film plod deliberately tail gating you, it could be a sacking offence for them.
Old 31 August 2007, 04:15 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Saw a Shiny Black STi saloon, 07 plate, gold wheels, the lot at Jcn4 M6/A446 island today - he had just pulled someone. Totally unmarked apart from hidden lights.

That's Warks too (just about)