Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Akita's

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2007, 04:16 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akita's

I am looking for another dog to partner the boxer i have & have been doing some research into other dogs, quite fancied either a Doberman but after speaking to a friend who has two, he reckons there a bit of a handful so i stumbled across the Akita.

Does anyone have any personal experience of owning such a dog & what are the good & bad points of the breed.

Thanks
Old 01 September 2007, 04:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Very powerful dog, most have good temprement, but when they go they go :lol
Very pack oriented apparently too.
And shed hair by the wig full...

I want one badly.

A friend keeps them, let me know if you want putting in touch.
Old 01 September 2007, 06:25 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

Absolutely brilliant dogs,

well ours has been, got her from a rescue place and shes now 2years old.

Ours is a Japanese Akita and although most are known as Akitas there are different types within the breed.

Lose alot of hair daily but probably the worst fault if I had to pick one, doesn't chew or anything like you can get from other breeds.

Will always want to be top dog, so you must keep them in there place especialy if you have kids. I have two girls aged 9 and 11 and the dogs brilliant with them, she is also very protective of the youngest.

Love to walk for hours and hours.

Would suggest you find somebody with one local to you (if possible) or talk to an Akita Rescue before you take the plunge. They are extreemly powerful and in the wrong hands I would imagine could be a very nasty dog indeed, as with anything the dog is only as good as the owner wants it to be.

We have recently been thinking of getting another, as has been said they are a pack dog and love company at all times, funnily we went for an Akita over a Siberian Husky and also because my wife wouldn't let me have a boxer!

If you want to know anymore please feel free to ask here or pm me.

Old 01 September 2007, 06:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Loving that second picture mate.
Glad this thread came up actually as im thinking of getting a dog for the house, and an Akita might just fit the bill.

All adults in the house, I love a good long walk, and love powerful dogs too
Just got to get another car to put it in now lol
Old 01 September 2007, 06:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Rex93
Absolutely brilliant dogs,

well ours has been, got her from a rescue place and shes now 2years old.

Ours is a Japanese Akita and although most are known as Akitas there are different types within the breed.

Lose alot of hair daily but probably the worst fault if I had to pick one, doesn't chew or anything like you can get from other breeds.

Will always want to be top dog, so you must keep them in there place especialy if you have kids. I have two girls aged 9 and 11 and the dogs brilliant with them, she is also very protective of the youngest.

Love to walk for hours and hours.

Would suggest you find somebody with one local to you (if possible) or talk to an Akita Rescue before you take the plunge. They are extreemly powerful and in the wrong hands I would imagine could be a very nasty dog indeed, as with anything the dog is only as good as the owner wants it to be.

We have recently been thinking of getting another, as has been said they are a pack dog and love company at all times, funnily we went for an Akita over a Siberian Husky and also because my wife wouldn't let me have a boxer!

If you want to know anymore please feel free to ask here or pm me.

Wow, thanks

No doubt i will be asking a few questions over the next few weeks while i decide.

How are they at being left alone for a few hours ? Do they need kennel'd (caged) like the boxers do or can they just be left at peace ?
I have a two kids one nearly 2 & the other 8, if brought up with them from pup i gather like most dogs they will be ok ?
Also why didnt you go for the husky ?
Old 01 September 2007, 06:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i dont trust them
Old 01 September 2007, 07:16 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

No problem being left alone now! think its something that they need to get used too, you should! have no problems with another dog present. We thought ours was ok as everytime we left her nothing had changed when we got home. Our neighbours were the ones that told us that after about 5minutes she howled! and its exactly like you would imagine a wolf to howl too and this was a neighbour over the road!!!

Think its a company thing and now she knows we come back home when we go out she is fine. We have made her a space under the stairs with a bed an we let her have free roam of all the downstairs with no problems. (not a lover of cages ) and certainly had no need for one.

Can't see there being any problems with introducing a puppy with smaller children but, who really knows? the only thing to watch is the size they get, whilst playing she can easily and I mean easily over power the kids, don't take this the wrong way though, she is only playing and doesn't realise her size, she plays at all times in a non aggressive way and stops if told by the kids. I would never leave her unattended with the kids, again don't take this the wrong way.

We spoke to our vet with regards to getting a Siberian Husky and it was her who suggested the Akita, we walk regularly with a sibe our Akita is huge in comparison, taller and much more stocky. Walking pattens are different from a sibe to Akita, with the Akita being more suited to a normal dog walking routine.

They need to be kept stimulated, lots of toys, playtime etc and you need a secure garden (big fences).

We have been told that however much we think the dog is trained, NEVER let her off the lead, if they get something in the heads (or noses) they don't care what you are doing, they come back when they want. Don't know how this would fit in with your boxer.

Snazy
love this pic too, its the only boxer the wife will let me have, too slobbery she says.

Trending Topics

Old 01 September 2007, 07:25 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

try looking through this site

Japanese Akita Welfare Trust : Akita Rescue 0870 780 5298 | http://www.jawt.co.uk
Old 01 September 2007, 07:29 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Rex, again thanks.

I own a farm, so the large garden isnt an issue although having done some reading i think i will need to make a secure area if i get one, the boxer (Bruno) is off the lead constant hes only about 4 months old & doesnt have an issue at just farting about so would need to seriously think about that though. On the basis of being left alone, i work from home most of the time but there is always some family member at the house at one point during the day if i am out.
Some serious thinking is needed, as for the cages i am not a fan either but if the builders (farm is still being renovated) are floating about then i think he's more settled in there & also not annoying the builders while they get on with there tasks.
Old 01 September 2007, 07:36 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

think you would be happy with one and a farm would be brilliant for one, would love the space.

Don't let the lead thing put you off, you may find that the presence of another dog that returns on comand may be enough to make a difference.

oh and they are NOT breed for fighting in japan and they DO NOT attack bear's.

Again feel free to pm with any questions
Old 01 September 2007, 07:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Rex, french boxer ??

A friend brought one out a few months back (is a breeder) and all I have had from the missus since is " can we get one "
Old 01 September 2007, 07:42 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i dont trust them
what dog do you not trust a akita or husky
Old 01 September 2007, 07:49 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

a old friend of mine had akitas as all been said before just watch if you do let of the lead but like all dogs dont let them think they are top dog
i have a siberian husky lots of time needed for walks etc like akitas they are pack animals so it should be easyier with another dog present
good luck mate

ps get it microchipped por tattooed for ease of mind if it does escape from your yard etc 9 times out of ten dogs can be reunited with owners if microchipped etc
Old 01 September 2007, 08:10 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Make sure you train them to like people in florecent Orange. Got a house I deliver to and the two long haired Akitas look like fluffy teddy bears, but attack anyone that comes through the gates, unless the owners are around!!.
Been bitten 4 times now.
Old 01 September 2007, 09:33 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barry wemyss
what dog do you not trust a akita or husky
akita, i think huskys are awesome, like nice looking wolves
Old 01 September 2007, 11:54 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
Make sure you train them to like people in florecent Orange. Got a house I deliver to and the two long haired Akitas look like fluffy teddy bears, but attack anyone that comes through the gates, unless the owners are around!!.
Been bitten 4 times now.
Postmen are the scum of the earth
Old 02 September 2007, 09:46 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

My japanease akitas coming upto about 10 now.

When i first got mine my m8 had a boxer that was a couple of months older. they used to play no problem, but after a couple of months my akita dwarfed the boxer. Had to be carefull & seperate them as my akita would not intentionlly hurt him. Not biting him but crushing him due to the size & weight difference.

Hes very well natured & obediant & never went for another person or dog. How ever im probably over causious & tend to keep him out the way of other people & dogs due to the potential damage he could cause. Last week police shot one quite close to where i live after it went on a bit of a rampage.

When he was a pup he had the run of the house, how ever when people used to come to the front door it was a little daunting being greeted by something his size. We segragated a area of the back garden off for him for him & tend to keep him towards the back end of the house if we are expecting visitors.

The molting fur can be quite a problem. When i take mine out on a night i tend to take his brush with me. Then whem im on the field near where i live give him a quick brush & it removes allot of it. Got that tip from a bloke up the road from me who used to breed & show them, used to be weird going down the field on a night & seing all the fur floating about in the wind after the 2 of us had been.

As for letting one of the lead i do with mine all the time. There is an old disused golf course quite near to where i live with a couple of football fields.
I have quite a good view for miles around so can see any aproaching dogs or people.

I only tend to do it at times when people are not around, it wasnt so bad recently with the light nights as it was usually quite late when i took him over there. I wouldnt do it during the day wile the kids are off school etc.

Hes never ran off & tends to stay by my side, occasionly dropping slightly back building a gap between us but as soon as i shout he runs and catches up with me.

shame now though with him getting on he cant walk as for as he used too.

One thing though, for a dog his size iv never known anything to be so scared of the daftest things. Mainly cats, he hates them, if one comes in the garden he legs it in the house. He did it yesterday and ran into the patio door nearly knocking him self out.

All the cats in my street sit along the top of the fence tormenting him, we used to have 1 a stray, i called G that me mam started feeding which wouldnt f off. It ruled my house and the akita turned into a recluse barely leaving my bedroom.

As harsh as i sounds i dont expect him lasting much longer so have been thinking about what to do when he passes. I would love to say i would go out and buy anohter akita but with my parents getting on a bit now & not as able to take him out as they once were, i dont think we would be able to give another as much attention as they need. Plus the image of them has suffered allot recently. When i 1st got mine they werea pretty rare sight, now every chav has got one & theres more & more horror stories arrising of them going wrong.

If your going to get one, take some time considering it & make sure it is the right dog for you. Also i would say find a reputable breader. Looking at them now the bread has changed so much over the 10 years iv had mine. Too me majority of them look like interbred cross'es.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 02 September 2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: editt
Old 02 September 2007, 10:30 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Thanks SDW Its a shame to hear he is on his way out

The only thing that is concerning about them is the molting, everything else i can handle, also the chav element, i have a yard in a rough area of glasgow & i have seen 3 or 4 different ones getting walked.

I am seriously thinking about one, so will keep you's all posted.

Any further comments would be great.

Thanks
Old 02 September 2007, 12:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Got me thinking hard about it now, been looking on Puppies for sale in U.K. for free, Find a breeder, Sell puppies with the consideration of getting a pup.
I would love a rescue, but would also have to be sure about its background, due to the issues there have been.

Lots of cross's out there now but pure pedigree would be the way I think.
Old 02 September 2007, 12:47 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

yeah rescues are hit or miss most of the time you get great dogs from rescue but the odd one is not to great
good luck and please get one of a reputable breeder it would be better as then you can trace his history on the dogs etc
Old 02 September 2007, 01:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

There is an advert on Epupz saying they are kennel club registered, certified etc, so that would be the sort of place I would be considering buying from

Far better imo to know the dog from the start.

Last dog was a rescued GSD Rotty cross. Wonderful dog, but a bit daft too. Brought up by a family with 4 kids, so loved everyone. Would drag my daughter round the room with his tail with no issue. Not that I let him, its was just the rare occasion.

Now I want to start with a pup, get it as well trained as possible, and the all important loyalty.

Meet... Mac. http://www.cruise-south.co.uk/snazyspics/sian1.jpg
Old 02 September 2007, 01:11 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

thats some size of dog lol
good luck with your search mate
Old 02 September 2007, 01:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol he was always a puppy to me, but GOD could he take someone down well. Used to work him when I was doing security. Really good instincts!
But back at home, protective over the family and a slobbering little pup

Cheers mate, got to get the thumbs up from my aging mum yet, but would rather have a dog here now, as she is getting more and more vunerable. As the Akita's are OK outside, it can have run of the nice big back garden, and access to the house.
Again having from a pup will help with defining boundaries etc.
Old 03 September 2007, 09:03 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Cool Thread. Ive got a male Japanese Akita, coming up to 9 years old now. Picked him when was was 4 weeks old, and the wait to collect him, i.e. 4weeks, was the longest 4 weeks of my life :-) Despite being 9, I look at him as my puppy, my boy, and in my eyes he can do no wrong. My mum refer's to him as her "***** cat" ! :-)

However............ an akita isnt a labrodor. Despite looking all cute and husky like, Akita's are very strong willed, dominate dogs and you really need to enforce the "Im the top dog here" policy. They learn their position in your family, pack mentalilty, and will try and lead if you dont control them. The breed isnt a barking breed, i.e. when he barks its becuase something is wrong.

Like the the guys above, about twice a year my boy's hair drops quite heavily, but I also go down the beach ( live on the sea front ) and brush him most days.

My akita is a male, and I cant let him off the lead otherwise he will try and dominate other male dogs. Girl dogs, well he tries to screw them :-) I left his ***** intacted when he was younger, just couldnt remove them, male thing I suppose. Dont consider akitia's as a "throw the stick, watch him collect it" type of dog. Perhaps if I throw a cooked chicken, only then he would run after it :-)

Akita's with other animals are okay if they grow up with them, i.e. both puppies etc. Same with children, although I love my dog 100%, but I would never leave him with a child / kid, and always keep hold of him if anyone comes near.

Ive had 2 situations where my dog, despite being provoked, has snapped at people, not full bites, just a snap, resulting in cuts. Twice Ive had the police around, and the last time I got order to put him dog under the dangerous dogs act. However, any bites inside your private residients does NOT come under these acts and your ok.

So, DO NOT EVER LET YOUR AKITA OFF THE LEAD IN A PUBLIC PLACE !!! Even if provoked, and your akita fights for itself, the police will instantly see it as the agressor and can either take him straight away or go to the courts for a distroy order. I would never want anyone to go through the 3 weeks of fighting, lawyers, £££ I went through. In the end though, my boy is still with me, worth the £3K I spent defending him with solisitors.

The akita breed was going to be one of the breeds band dogs in the UK, but at the last mins wasnt. So, most police forces hate them and you will always been seen as the agressor.

Anyway, I could write for hours here, but on the whole, go search the breed on the net, learn the traits of them, and really decide if its the right dog for you. If they are, then you will have a friend, buddy for life. Mind you, they have a short life, 10 years ?? Too short if you ask me, as Im going to be heart broken when my little baby, ( little hahah he's 8/9stone), goes.

SBK
Old 03 September 2007, 10:05 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Nice one for the input there mate
Everything I would expect or want from a dog
Old 03 September 2007, 10:27 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

At the risk of being banned from the board I have to say that I would never get a powerful dog like an Akita if I had young children. It's not just your kids that could be at risk but it's their friends that pop over and the dog could just get its protective priorites wrong when it's poked in the eye by a stranger or the dog misunderstands some play fighting by the kids.

But I know little about Akitas except they are fine looking animals. The only ones I knew were a pair some friends kept in S. Africa as guard dogs and they certainly did a good job dl
Old 03 September 2007, 11:35 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Dont see why you would be banned for having an opinion mate. Most Akita websites dont say they are great with kids of anything, so its common sense that says, be careful round kids etc.

Fair play for your opinions.
Old 03 September 2007, 11:44 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Certain breeds are ONLY for the experienced and those that can spend a lot of time with them, ie. working them or interacting with them in some sort of training or play.

Anybody wanting a dog, (particularly some breeds), that is going to be 'used' as a trophy or simply a visual deterrent, without being a genuine member of the family, is asking for trouble.

Sti-04:

My advice, Stephen, is not to mix your Boxer with an Akita. The same as I would say to anybody I regarded as inexperienced in owning powerful dogs together.

Last edited by Spoon; 03 September 2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Changed Sti-04's dog breed just to confuse him. :-)
Old 03 September 2007, 11:56 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Spoon - I agree !!

David Lock - the 7th most dangerous dog in the UK is.................. a labrador, Akita wasnt even in the top 15 !

All dogs are animals, yes some have different breed qualities, but all dogs are animals and all revert back to those behaviors. When I went through my last police siutation, I took my dog to a dog behaviorist, £150 an hour !!!

He told me that statistically, girls between 7-9 are the highest victims of dog bites as they see them as big teddy bears, go up, and suddenly hug them. The dog is shocked, and snaps. A simple spinning around of the dog's head, with those front teeth, just contacting ur forehead can tear skin ! But, in the eyes of the law, thats a dog bite. This is what happened to me.

So, is the dog dangerous, or just acting like a normal dog ?? One guy grab my dog from behind, grabbing his leg, shouting and swearing at him, so he turned around an snapped him. The guy shouted about how my animal bite him, but it was how the guy treated him. Didnt help that I then gave him a left hook either, but you dont just grab someone's dog, by the fecking leg.

I, myself, wouldnt have any dog until the child is over 14 years old, least of all an akita. Im not saying they will attack, god no as once he grows and considers the children his `pack`, he will protect them, and your right about the idea of friends coming over, and the dog becoming defensive, as that does happen.

Although I like idea of rescuing a dog, I wouldnt take home a 2year old akita, from a home, if you have kids either.

The trick with dogs, Ive learnt, is socializing the dog at an early stage, and good life long training. An Akita isnt the type of dog suited to newbie dog owners. As much as you try, tit bits at the table, sleeping on your bed, all give the dog ideas that is leading the pack, or on an equal footing. To maintain control, that dog needs to know you are the leader, and he follows.

Obviously as mine is 9, when I brought him it was a rare breed, not many around. Now though, like the chaps above me correctly said, too many people are buying them for image, and all that. I knew he would be a handful, and Ive made mistakes along the way, but on the whole he's been a lovely friend / pet.

Nothing beats his happy face, his wagging tail, as he see's you pull up, especially if you had a turd day.

However, dont be put off, Akita's are lovely. Would I have another one ??mmm not sure, dont think I would, as I want a dog I can leave off the lead, and not worry. I dont walk him, more I walk wityh him, he decides were we go, when we stop, etc etc. hahaha see even now he still tries to lead me.

Also, due to the breed blood lines, too much insest, leading to medicial issues.

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 03 September 2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03 September 2007, 12:17 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Spoon, thanks for your input, its a boxer i have & tbh the more i read into it the more i think the dog would be unsuitable for my purpose, though its not dead in the water yet.

Quick Reply: Akita's