Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car insurance scam?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2007, 03:07 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car insurance scam?

I have a policy with Norwich Union Direct (dont laugh) for my main car, an Audi A6. I bought a second car as a town car, a Fiat Punto (dont laugh). Norwich Union wouldn't insure my second car on my existing policy unless it was fully comp. I didnt want fully comp, only TPFT as the car costs about as much as the fc insurance quote. They transferred me to their sister company Premium Search who will insure TPFT. They took all my details and quoted me 'happy'. Next thing I get a request for proof of no claims bonus within seven days, telling me to get it off my previous (?) insurer. I phone NU and they tell me they wont give me it, NCB stays with the car. I next phone PS and they say, oh, but we need it. I've paid in full by CC and now it looks like I'm going to either have to cancel the policy(s) and take a hit, or start back with my Punto on zero NCB.

I always though no claims bonus was exactly that, no claims no matter what car you've been driving. It seems to me that the insurance companies are having their cake and eating it while we pay over the odds.

Is this a con or have I been niaive about car insurance?

Last edited by _RIP_; 31 August 2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 31 August 2007, 03:43 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that you can only use your no claims bonus on 1 policy, if the second car is under the same policy/company then you'll be able to use the same no claims bonus but if you insure the second car under a different policy/company then your not allowed to use the same no claims bonus.

I could be completely wrong.
Old 31 August 2007, 03:49 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yeah NCB refers to one policy only

BUT I know someone who runs 2 cars on 2 policies using the same NCB. the renewal quote or your certification of insurance on the first car is usually proof of NCB though so if you have kept last years you might be in luck.

Dunno how you'll get on if you have to make a claim though.
Old 31 August 2007, 04:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

some companies do cover 2 cars with one NCB, you just have to shop around a bit harder. Phone some brokers and explain and they will point you in the right direction
Old 31 August 2007, 04:29 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Too true - NCB works on one car. Which shows what a farce the insurance industry is. You gain credits for not having to make a claim (driving ability, standards, where you park, where you live etc), and you as a person can only ever drive one car at a time - yet your NCB is only valid on one car, so if you won two, tough. Totally pathetic and a rip-off. cannot see what justification there can be for this...
Old 31 August 2007, 04:39 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Last time I checked Norwich Union don't need an excuse to be a rip-off.

Don't know what renewal time will be like; but Elephant insures my STI fully comp, my 106 TPFT, put NCB on both of them AND discounted my STI insurance to take into account the lower milage I will now do in it.
Old 31 August 2007, 04:41 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

You now have 2 cars that can be stolen/vandalised. So the premium is going to be higher on the second car. You earn discounts (NCB) on your policy not your person.

I don't agree with it but that's how it is. The whole thing is a joke. For example a certain company advertise if you call you get a 10% discount or 15% online. So if there's no possibility of paying the full price how can you be getting a discount? Basically calling is THE PRICE and 5% discount online.

Let's face it 15% online discount
10% for cat 1 security
60% NCD

85% off but if you call and say you have no NCD the premium isn't 60% more go figure ...

Trending Topics

Old 31 August 2007, 04:48 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

That is not quite true.

If you get a new policy you will probably get an introductory discount of one or two years NCB. However if you have an accident you will go back to a full underwriting price which will be higher than what you paid. This will come in at renewal.

In terms of ncb applying to a policy/car it makes some sense. You may have two different cars which are totally different in type and usage and so the risk factor will be completely different on each car.

Say you currently drive a basic Mini and for the sake of example bought a Pagani Zonda. The expertise you have gained in driving the Mini safely 'probably' would not apply to the Zonda! You will need to build that experience up.
Old 31 August 2007, 05:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think you may be making a mistake in assuming that TPFT is going to be cheaper than fully comp. Don't ask me why but I went through this when insuring an old run-about wreck I have and ended up fully comp.

If you haven't tried give Liverpool & Victoria (Frizzells) a try. They were half the price of an AA quote. dl
Old 31 August 2007, 10:13 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

yes an introductory offer may be there but if you don't know what premium is in the first place you can't say if they offer includes it or not.

I.e. I had 2 cars, insurer said no problem we'll automatically give 60% off for having a 2nd car great ... £1100!

Phoned around and one place said no deals, no introductory offer no ncd ... £1100.

Point being a 60% discount is meaningless if it's 60% more in the first place. But short of giving incorrect details you'll never know.

You should put your details in, then the car details, and a price should pop up, as you add things like extra security, NCD etc you should see the on screen price drop ... easy.
Old 31 August 2007, 10:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to start my NCD from scratch on my second car

If I make a claim on that policy the Ins. Co. of my main car will load me on their policy ...... you just can't win, bar shopping around!
Old 31 August 2007, 10:27 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ittttttttttts baaaaaaaaaaack.........

Main car my name, banger registered in The old dears name job done
Old 01 September 2007, 12:56 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

They do seem a law unto their own:

I had no NCBS personally, but on business insurance I had 5+ although "apparantly" they can't be transfered.

Funny though, as my broker transfered these to my personal multicar policy...even though its through different companies and with different cars and works on more than one car

Being honest, I don't care. As long as the premium is sensible, and I have adequate cover. Seems the policy I have at the moment has all the bells and whistles (which I didn't ask for); EU Breakdown recovery, Travel insurance, discounted home insuranace (which it is compared to my previous premium)...yet it was (and is) the cheapest policy I could find by a good few hundred quid overall. Bizzare

(Zurich family policy BTW)
Old 01 September 2007, 03:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well I have my scoob insured using my main NCB & my Skoda insured with the same insurer A Plan under a mirrored NCB policy which gives me the full NCB discount on both ar plus I accrew NCB on my lower insurance group car {the skoda} as you can have NCB allowances on 2 cars.

In a couple of years all being well I should have 2 lots of full NCB, my current allowances are protected anyway so I shoul not lose them in the event of a fault incident.

I am not totally convinced that TPFT will work out any better for you, also I am not too sure myself about having 2 policies covering cars with 2 insurers I think it could get messy in the event of an acident as you still have to inform the insurers.

You could speak to A plan I am sure they will help you out and at a very good price too
Old 01 September 2007, 03:52 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Direct Line and Admiral do discount on multi car insurance.

Norwich Union are SOOOOOOO expensive - shop around.
Old 02 September 2007, 09:14 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm waiting for a manager to listen to the tape of my quote as I wasn't told my NCB couldn't be transferred at the point of sale. If I don't get any joy I guess it's bite the bullet till renewal or cancel both policies and get an insurance co who will insure both at full NCB.

I could have used my renewal notice as stated but cant find it anywhere
Old 02 September 2007, 09:18 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

Oh and fully comp through thieving NU was £300 (so much for the second car discount) compared to £100 TPFT with PS.
Old 02 September 2007, 04:42 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

I had similar problems when I ran a second car you just need to shop around. They don't like to use you no claims from one policy to another but are quick enough to consider any accidents or points from any policy....... any excuse for loading the costs.
Old 03 September 2007, 07:32 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

I think eCar looks a good bet, all done online with no middle men, and up to four cars on the one policy. Just found out NU charge £52 to cancel a policy. Never again.

eCar Insurance - Get a low cost car insurance quote from eCar Insurance

You can cover up to 4 cars on one policy providing all drivers are aged 25 or over.

The policy cover you select will apply to all cars on the policy and you can cover up to 4 named drivers on a multi-car policy.

If you have earned your right to maximum No Claims Discount (NCD) you can now keep it for life! eCar Insurance will not reduce your NCD following any number of claims.

This outstanding policy benefit is available to all proposers who have 5 or more years NCD. Once you earn 5 years NCD with eCar your NCD will be guaranteed for life.
Old 03 September 2007, 08:56 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Say you currently drive a basic Mini and for the sake of example bought a Pagani Zonda. The expertise you have gained in driving the Mini safely 'probably' would not apply to the Zonda! You will need to build that experience up.
But if you sell your mini and buy a Zonda the NCB can be transferred to the new car, so selling your old actually makes you an equally competent driver of the new car, but not if you keep it
Old 03 September 2007, 05:36 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by [LEFT
OllyK[/LEFT];7225474]But if you sell your mini and buy a Zonda the NCB can be transferred to the new car, so selling your old actually makes you an equally competent driver of the new car, but not if you keep it
Exactly, and if this
wasn't
the case then NCB should be rated
separately
with the risk of e every vehicle.