Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Employee Negotiating Salary Question....

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2007, 08:16 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Employee Negotiating Salary Question....

I started a new job about 4 months ago now.

Would i be right in my years appraisal interview to try and negotiate for higher or is this unnaceptable? Is my boss likely to give me the big F.O?

My reasoning...My job is a new and developing trade that not a lot of people have knowledge or experience in. In the 3 months of it being advertised there were only 2 applicants, myself and obviously 1 other. I did have a good previous knowledge of the trade but it will take a good year of on site training at great expense to the company to get me up to the level they want me at. (1 year onsite training was mentioned in advert)

Apart from a 3% inflation payrise every April, there are very limited opportunities for me to progress up the payscale in this company.

Im in Aberdeen so there are good opportunities for me to earn a possible £10K+ more by going offshore to do my trade. I dont really want that lifestyle though, i would rather be onshore earning less but getting home every night to see the wife and kid.

However it is an option and if i was to leave at my years point and go offshore, the company would then need to start all over again, training etc etc.

So question is, is it acceptable for me to ask about this in my years appraisal interview with the boss, or is it the height of cheek

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 13 August 2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:21 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It would seem more reasonable to ask for a pay increase ONCE you've completed your years training? but to be fair you sound like you'll end up leaving anyway, as your already saying there's little chance of progression!
Old 30 August 2007, 08:27 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Sorry, yes thats what i meant. I would ask for it after my 1yr training at my years appraisal interview.

Im happy enough where i am with what im earning. Its an easy 37.5hr week with little responsibility and it suits me fine. Good pension system, good leave, but just not a lot of career progression which tbh im not that all fussed about. My supervisor earns a good £10k on top of my salary but thats as far as i can possibly go.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:28 AM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

if you don t ask you don t get,

the company will carry on paying as little as possible as its a business.

what s the worst they can say, no, i don t remember anyone being fired for asking for a rise.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:36 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

If you want to negotiate a pay rise you'll need to be able to make a good case for it - so prepare. Collate evidence of what you've achieved in the past year and have it to hand in the interview. Also try doing some research - are there other jobs being advertised in a similar field - if so, what are they paying?

That's just off the top of my head - but you'll find lots more advice here: how to ask for a salary increase, pay rise, raise, increase in wages

Good luck!
Old 30 August 2007, 01:26 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Much depends on the organisation, but I wouldn't ask in an appraisal, that should be focused on your performance and agreeing new objectives. I'd wait till I had a good appraisal then ask for a separate meeting. If you ask at the appraisal they may find ways to mark down your performance and justify not paying you more.