Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

heathrow protestors.

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 12:34 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heathrow protestors.

its detrimental to my job because i work in the air cargo industry, but i think enough is enough, no more airport expansion now.

i remember the new runway at manchester,
you can go for a walk around where the new one is built and it devastes the countryside.
Old 19 August 2007, 12:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Its a tough one, but clearly much needed.

Enviromental impact is not a nice thing, I certainly agree there.
Just running out of space in this flippin country theses days
Old 19 August 2007, 12:44 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you working at heathrow jm ?
Old 19 August 2007, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
its detrimental to my job because i work in the air cargo industry, but i think enough is enough, no more airport expansion now.

you can go for a walk around where the new one is built and it devastes the countryside.
An honest and sensible post.

Les
Old 19 August 2007, 01:10 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

One thing I was amuzed about regarding this story, was the irony surrounding the mini bus service they are running from the local station to save protesters the 10-15 min walk (so im told). Hope its battery or LPG !
Old 19 August 2007, 02:01 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Sorry I don't agree.

Some facts about aviation, the climate camp protestors and Heathrow.

China is planning to build 108 new AIRPORTS in the next 10 years. Heathrow wants 1 new runway.

There is no "countryside" around Heathrow to devastate! Its a few fields between the existing airport, A4 and M4.

If Heathrow looses its hub status, and there is real evidence to show that Schipol and Frankfurt are becoming the hubs of choice now, the west London employment figures will nose dive, and the national economy will suffer.

A group of Canadians FLEW over to join the camp protestors!

The main expansion of aviation over the last few years has been down to the lo-cost operators. Heathrow is not home to the lo-cost airline markets. Its primarily business and long haul holiday flights.
Old 19 August 2007, 02:07 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Im with Flightman, Heathrow is important to this country as an international hub.

Maybe the swampies should target a few other countries first?
Old 19 August 2007, 03:15 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

BBC NEWS | UK | Eco-village with a stark warning

"It's been fun so far - I've been topping up my tan while I work," laughs Claire Blatchford, 20, a "full-time protester" who has spent four months at a peace camp outside Faslane naval base in Scotland.

How do these useless twits get money to sit on their backsides for months on end? (sure we can have a good guess)

The whole bunch of f'cking lefty, hairy legged, dreadlocked, Tibetan lama woolly hat bedecked, multi-cl1teral pierced, lental munching, joss stick burning, plastic sandled, papoos holding , over-educated , whinging C@NTHOLES need mowing down with a machine gun nest of chain guns.
Funny description I read elsewhere.
Old 19 August 2007, 03:26 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Im working over at Heathrow next week and its time to take firm action.

I will be arming myself with something that will stop these protestors in their tracks....

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 19 August 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 19 August 2007, 03:39 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

ha ha class
no at MAN, we all remember the swampy thing, but if you go on your bike around where that runway is im inclined to agree with him to be honest.

at LHR what will the build after that another runway ? another cargo centre?, the site there is absolutely massive.
you should see the proposals for the new DXB airport thats something daft like the size of west london,
its not just concreting over a few hundred metres of jap knotweed its the traffic, light, noise pollution. why cant manston be utilised?
Old 19 August 2007, 04:03 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

ha ha class
no at MAN, we all remember the swampy thing, but if you go on your bike around where that runway is im inclined to agree with him to be honest.

at LHR what will the build after that another runway ? another cargo centre?, the site there is absolutely massive.
you should see the proposals for the new DXB airport thats something daft like the size of west london,
its not just concreting over a few hundred metres of jap knotweed its the traffic, light, noise pollution. why cant manston be utilised?
Sorry JM but you're talking bollox. LHR massive? Try JFK, or any of the US airports. They're massive. What about Schipol, they've got 5 FIVE runways! As for Manston, try speaking to an airspace planner about how much disruption the change to one SID or STAR causes.! And how are people going to get to Manston? And do you really expect there wouldn't be a protest if Manston became the preferred sight for a new runway?

Last edited by FlightMan; 19 August 2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 19 August 2007, 04:46 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

What I don't get is though, rather than sit around on their ***** doing FA "protesting", why don't they actually do something constructive like work out a solution to the problems that mean new runways have to be built.

Oh... hang on.. I saw that "Work" word. That'll be why they don't then.
Old 19 August 2007, 05:16 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Sorry JM but you're talking bollox. LHR massive? Try JFK, or any of the US airports. They're massive. What about Schipol, they've got 5 FIVE runways! As for Manston, try speaking to an airspace planner about how much disruption the change to one SID or STAR causes.! And how are people going to get to Manston? And do you really expect there wouldn't be a protest if Manston became the preferred sight for a new runway?
youve been listening to that oaf clarkson too much,

manston wouldnt build another one just use theirs,

another heathrow runway would mean some more slots, ba go to nyc eight times a day, plus pia, plus vs, aa ua and all the others that must make what 30 nyc flights in a day, with load factors of maybe 80 - 90 percent it would make more sense to completely fill the a/c on that sector and have less flights. ok the same pepole would still go tothre airport because they are flying but what about crew, fuel, freight lorries, the place is a turd enough as it is without adding to it, ive worked in the industry for 17 years, so i know what im on about. and finally do you remeber a few years ago when that jumbo nearly landed on the a4 do your homework and look how close and parrallel the new runway would be to the m4
Old 19 August 2007, 05:37 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If Heathrow looses its hub status, and there is real evidence to show that Schipol and Frankfurt are becoming the hubs of choice now, the west London employment figures will nose dive, and the national economy will suffer.
Heathrow deserves to loose it's hub status IMO, if Charles de Gaulle didn't exist, it would definitely be the worlds worst airport to travel through
It's a dilapidated old sh!thole staffed by arrogant miserable tw@ts who all create the impression that they truly believe their mission in life is to make things as difficult as possible for the air travelling public.

And yes, I have been unfortunate enough to have used LHR on more than the odd occasion in the past, nowadays I avoid it like the plague. If I can't get a direct flight into Manchester (which is almost as bad, I'll go via Schipol if I can, or more usually for this part of the world one of the Arabian airports
Old 19 August 2007, 05:54 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I just wish VA would fly from STN, I also hate Heathrow
Old 19 August 2007, 05:59 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Have you any idea of the infrastructure neccessary to support a modern airport. The locals would be up in arms as vast swathes of the area are carved up for new roads, additional rail networks, drainage, car parking, sub-stations, sewage treatment works etc etc.

As Flightman has already demonstrated, the airspace around London is already too cluttered without an additional TMA being added to the problem. Heathrow is the obvious choice because it already exists as an airport and with the additional runway increasing slots, once the airfield has been re-worked with the new terminals coming on stream traffice density will also be able to increase freeing up yet more slots and improving efficiency.

CrisPDuk - you're right, Heathrow is a pain to deal with and that's partly to do with the arcane planning process in the UK that doesn't allow for these type of projects to be built in the timespan required. With three runways and five (possibly six) terminals Heathrow could once again become a world leader - that's if the tree huggers don't convince everyone that aviation is the baddy in the same way they did with 4x4s.
Old 19 August 2007, 06:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
An honest and sensible post.

Les
Who are you and what have you done with J4cko's mate ?
Old 19 August 2007, 09:30 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

my new login name is leslie's new mate

if im not mistaken there are already roads and services connected to manston airport
im not saying build a runway there or at that ex mil one at the end of the m40 im saying use it for freight flights or air france flights or virgin or what ever.

why are you so in favour of it?
Old 19 August 2007, 09:35 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

another heathrow runway would mean some more slots, ba go to nyc eight times a day, plus pia, plus vs, aa ua and all the others that must make what 30 nyc flights in a day, with load factors of maybe 80 - 90 percent it would make more sense to completely fill the a/c on that sector and have less flights. ok the same pepole would still go tothre airport because they are flying but what about crew, fuel, freight lorries, the place is a turd enough as it is without adding to it, ive worked in the industry for 17 years, so i know what im on about. and finally do you remeber a few years ago when that jumbo nearly landed on the a4 do your homework and look how close and parrallel the new runway would be to the m4
Clarkson? Sod off. My job is to look at this stuff, Why in God's name would I listen to him? Manston is in the middle of nowhere. Do you realise the infrastructure required to support a large airport? And do you understand why those airlines you quoted fly to LHR? Its because that is where their pax wish to fly! Jesus, BAA has offered LGW to AA more times than I care to remember, and the answer is always no. Under Open Skies, you watch airlines leave LGW to come to LHR. Last time I looked there were approx 15 flights to NYC per day, not 30. Loads of which are triple 7's not 744's. In other words, more environmentally friendly.

Moving onto LHR, just for CrisPDuk, the reason its, as Jackos-mate so eloquently put it "a turd" is because the T5 planning enquiry took 12 bloody years!! In any other country, it would have 2/3 years tops, and LHR wouldn't be the place it is now. It's fecking typical of this country that we make it as difficult as possible to build new infrastructure, then bitch and moan when things don't work!

And JM, I'm sorry, if you are going to quote reasons like the BA/A4 near accident, for not building a 3rd runway, then you're off you're head. LAX had a runway incursion earlier this week, and 2 weeks ago KLAS had a near miss. 3 months ago, 2 planes almost collided on the runway at JFK. 2 aircraft almost collided at CDG 9 months ago. Should the Yanks close Los Angeles International, Las Vegas McCarran, or New York? Or should the French close Charles De Gaulle?

Stick with moving your freight. You know nothing about real airports.

Oh and for those of you that don't know LHR used to have 6, yes SIX bloody runways, back in the days when we had politicians with brains and *****!!!!
Old 19 August 2007, 10:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

How long will the Fossil fuels last, nothing to do with global warming, I suppose they must be confident if they want to build more runways given how much they cost.

What is the future for air travel, assuming oil becomes scarce, can you run an airliner on something else ?

As for the near misses, by the law of averages, the more movements, the more near misses, the more chance of a big accident.
Old 19 August 2007, 10:38 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I think LHR should lose its hub status as the main UK airport. As its is restricting travel options from other airports. LGW has never been an option either, as its probably one of the most under-invested airports next to Luton and Coventry (ignoring Bristol ; who have a nice recent teflon coated runway )

Whats needed is a nice completely new airport. Peferably one that is actually integrated into a decent ground base transport infractructure, not some patchwork quilt that is the current pathetic "welcome matt" to international travellers.

And preferably one not run by BAA either
Old 20 August 2007, 02:58 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
What is the future for air travel, assuming oil becomes scarce, can you run an airliner on something else ?
As far as fuel goes, turbine engined are far less fussy than piston engines, so long as it contains a lubricant they literally will run on any old sh!te, and I would be very surprised if the likes of Rolls Royce, Pratt & Whitney & the rest weren't already testing their engines on the various available biofuels.

The problems will come with making said sh!te compatible with existing ancillaries, i.e; the tanks, the pipes and the pumps.
Old 20 August 2007, 09:06 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Poxy swampies are eco talivan

why do they want to live in, and drag us back to the dark ages???

mind you,, if Rod Eddington hadnt killed of Concorde, we could have had a perfect soloution in our hands.....

B** MEMO....

All second flights departing the new runway must be Speedbird or one of its sisters :...

And in conjunction with the RAF, XH558 has been restored to flying status... Each fourth flight will be a go-around ...Pilots have been briefed on the use of compulsory afterburner, and 90 degree climb rate on leaving the runway......

how long would any camp at the end of the runway last then

Mart
Old 20 August 2007, 09:20 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I spent many years living right next to Heathrow (Wraysbury, Datchet & Colnbrook - check them on a map if you're unsure). There were some locals who fought against T5 - but it tended to be a very vocal minority. TBH when you live next door to an airport like that you just tune out the aeroplanes - so extra traffic really isn't a problem.

As for the countryside - well, I'd agree with the person who said there isn't any. A couple of fields that never seem to have much in them anyway.

There's already a massive motorway link to the site (M25 & M4), there's already a tube (Picadilly Line) and there's never been an overland rail link. So I'd guess that the foundation for the additional infrastructre is already there.

There's only a finite amount of fossil fuels on this planet - once they're all gone we're screwed anyway. And one way or another, whether it takes 10 years or 100 years, we're going to use them all up.
Old 20 August 2007, 09:26 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I've just met 3 of the climate camp mob. They broke into our canteen.

1. Was a woman, at least I think she was.
2. Was wearing luminous orange trousers and a bright yellow hi viz jacket.
3. Well, think of Worzel Gummage and you've got him!

All of them needed a wash.

They came to our table while we were eating breakfast, right in the middle of the sports news , and told us we could all have the day off. They seemed suprised when we didn't believe them, and asked if we didn't like days off?

They were walked away by the police muttering "enjoy your day in the office"

I told them to enjoy standing in the rain.

And when you read in the press or see on the TV that they've closed our offices down, its rubbish. As far as i cans ee, everyones in, we've just all parked elsewhere.

Absolute morons all of them.
Old 20 August 2007, 09:42 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

hell hath no fury like an a bacon barm and an airport worker interupted

hey everyone theres you answer we can keep on building new airports and new runways over at end of flightmans road, he approves of such devastation.
because it pays his mortgage
Old 20 August 2007, 09:43 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I've just met 3 of the climate camp mob. They broke into our canteen.

1. Was a woman, at least I think she was.
2. Was wearing luminous orange trousers and a bright yellow hi viz jacket.
3. Well, think of Wurzel Gummage and you've got him!
I was nowhere near your canteen!! I am sitting at my desk reading all about you lot bitching to one another

Oh and if you want to see a big airport then just pop along to Frankfurt
Old 20 August 2007, 09:54 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I was nowhere near your canteen!! I am sitting at my desk reading all about you lot bitching to one another

Oh and if you want to see a big airport then just pop along to Frankfurt

LOL

Old 20 August 2007, 10:33 AM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

...we can keep on building new airports and new runways over at end of flightmans road, he approves of such devastation
Ummm, it pays a lot of peoples' mortgages... To attract industry to an area - to give people employment - you need to have the infrastructure in place to allow it. I've seen loads of small towns in the back of beyond in the States with really impressive airport facilities, because the local authorities recognised that if they didn't provide it, the Coca Cola execs wouldn't site their new bottling plant there, or Delphi their new widget company.

I don't much like the idea of concreting over any land but...

1) if you're going to compete with French, Dutch and Spanish airport expansion (because they're making it more attractive to do business in their backyard), you have to face reality and expand. Heathrow really is bursting at the seams.

2) The area sandwiched between LHR and the M4 is, frankly, a sh!thole. I'd much rather "devastate" this than Suffolk or Kent which has some nice countryside.

The real problem is our incessant desire to see populations expand. That's what we should be discussing. To me, having kids is a far more selfish act than whether work sends me to the States.
Old 20 August 2007, 10:40 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

hell hath no fury like an a bacon barm and an airport worker interupted

hey everyone theres you answer we can keep on building new airports and new runways over at end of flightmans road, he approves of such devastation.
You have no idea do you. It was you that suggested building a new airport at Manston.

Quick Reply: heathrow protestors.