Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Straight to DVD movies - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2007, 08:57 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight to DVD movies - Why?

I read today on comingsoon.net that they are making Lost Boys 2 as a "direct to DVD" title. Why do studios fork out to make a "direct to DVD" movie? Where do they make their money from?

I cannot understand where the profit margin is. Who is the target demographic, is it just the rental market?

I can understand the studios spending big to make big money on blockbuster movies but the marketing for "direct to DVD" movies is virtually non existent.

Does anybody know how the studios make money?
Old 12 August 2007, 09:25 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do **** aswell
Old 12 August 2007, 09:26 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

It is because the film(s) sux.

Old 12 August 2007, 09:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wiki
[edit] The direct-to-DVD market
As the DVD format supplants the videocassette, companies have increasingly released movies in DVD format rather than VHS, causing the term "direct-to-DVD" to replace "direct-to-video" in some instances.[6] However, the word "video" does not necessarily refer to VHS cassettes. The new term used is DVDP ("DVD Premiere").[7] Such films can cost as much as $20 million[8] (about a third of the average cost of a Hollywood release[9]) and feature major actors like Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal.[8] Salaries for such actors range from $2 to $4 million (Van Damme) to $4.5 to $10 million (Seagal).[8] According to Variety, American Pie: Band Camp sold a million copies in one week, despite retaining only two actors from the original trilogy.[10]

In recent years, DVD Premieres have become a substantial source of revenue for movie studios. DVDPs have collectively grossed over $3 billion over the last few years,[8] and have matured enough that DVDP divisions of studios now option their own films[citation needed]. Studios realized that DVDP movies can be shot on a smaller budget, thus allowing studios larger profits with the combined revenues of home video sales and rentals[citation needed], in addition to licensing movies for television and for distribution abroad (where some DVDP movies do see theatrical releases)[citation needed].

Distributing DVDPs is not a practice reserved solely for larger Hollywood studios. Several companies, such as The Asylum, MTI Home Video, and York Entertainment distribute DVDPs almost exclusively[citation needed]. The budgets for films distributed by these companies are even smaller than those of ones distributed by a larger studio, but these companies are still able to profit off their sales.
Direct-to-video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12 August 2007, 09:35 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Oh I see the quote is from "Makeitupasyougopedia"

Old 12 August 2007, 10:11 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Wow...its clearly a bigger market than I gave it credit for. I never thought to try Wikipedia. That clears that up.