Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have you ever queried your water bill??

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2007, 04:51 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Have you ever queried your water bill??

Well I don’t usually – I just wince and send a cheque off. £454.88 for this half-year; in advance of course

So this time I looked at the small print and see that I pay 81 pence per cubic metre for supply and 140 pence per cubic metre for wastewater drainage. I am on a meter btw. They make an assumption that 92% of the water we use goes back into the system.

But I have a relatively large fish pond and the water in this gets changed every couple of months to keep it clean and help control the algae. So that’s probably 6 complete water changes per year which is about 120 m3 of water which doesn’t go back into the system. So I am paying 120 x £1.40 over the odds or £168 per year too much.

So I’ll contact Southern Water but I won’t be holding my breath. So has anyone actually challenged their bill and got a result? dl
Old 12 August 2007, 06:00 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I queried mine a few years ago David

What happened was I got a rather larger bill (5 times the normal useage) at the time I was working away 5-6 nights a week, and had a couple of showers and 2 loads in the washing machine

So I queried it, phoned them and told them unless they investigate I will not pay the bill, so they sent me a court summons, and in that court summons I had to make a statement, to not say I wouldnt pay the bill, but that I disputed the amount and that I would pay if after the dispute it was found to be correct etc

In the mean time they told me my meter was correct, and they would send an engineer out to check it out, I had a card pushed through the door when I got home to say they had tried to check the meter but couldnt, so they would call back when I was home

The meter was actually 50 yards away from the house so they didnt have to actually check anything in my home

Any it turns out that they had been reading my next door neighbours meter instead, as when the house was built mine was Plot 11, but house number 10, my next door neighbour was Plot 10 and house number 11

I didnt have to go to court, they sent me a revised bill, and it was back to being the standard amount
Old 12 August 2007, 06:26 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Well when my water rates bill came in at £900 + i decided to go on a meter this March.
Family of four ,average usage ,hoping I have done the right thing .Although they did say I could change back before 13 months is up !!
Why is every cnunt trying to rob us ??????
Old 12 August 2007, 06:36 PM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

mine was £380 for 3 months after I moved in, the meter they installed was either faulty or leaking as its ok now.
Old 12 August 2007, 06:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Well when my water rates bill came in at £900 + i decided to go on a meter this March.
Family of four ,average usage ,hoping I have done the right thing .Although they did say I could change back before 13 months is up !!
Why is every cnunt trying to rob us ??????
Fooking heck where do you live? in the desert I thought £383 was high (live in cornwall) I Like the way that despite ever rising profits of £2 billion+ they are saying bills will have to rise due to the recent floods Why can't the shareholders take the bullet instead of us bill payers ffs .
Old 12 August 2007, 06:44 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Fooking heck where do you live? in the desert I thought £383 was high (live in cornwall) I Like the way that despite ever rising profits of £2 billion+ they are saying bills will have to rise due to the recent floods Why can't the shareholders take the bullet instead of us bill payers ffs .

Kin Oop North Innit .
Well short of water up ere .!!!
Cant even afford to water me Garden .!!!

Work hard .Pay more .Would not mind if I was rolling in it .But Im not .
Old 12 August 2007, 07:00 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Wait until the next one comes....... (in gloucester....)

Gettting precisely £0 and a load of abuse for the hassle caused recently- water is STILL not safe
Old 12 August 2007, 07:08 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak
Wait until the next one comes....... (in gloucester....)

Gettting precisely £0 and a load of abuse for the hassle caused recently- water is STILL not safe

Greedy git all that water and you refuse to pay for it
Old 12 August 2007, 07:26 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Old 12 August 2007, 07:59 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Greedy git all that water and you refuse to pay for it
Now I knowe where that nursery rhyme came from.
Dr Foster went to Gloucester in a puddle of rain .!!!

On a serious note ,I wonder if it came from flooding events years gone bye .??

Not takin the **** .
Recent events have been terrible for people affected and I felt for those who have suffered .
Regards.
Old 12 August 2007, 08:03 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Well obviously we have had more rain ,so we have had more of the resource we supply to You, so unfortunately we will have to charge you more !!!
Now take that up the Jacky you daft Northern Gimp and like it.!!!

Oh Alright Then .
Thankyou.
Old 12 August 2007, 08:16 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

If all your rainwater that comes off your roof goes into a soakaway and not into the main drain, then you are entitled to a rebate on the part of your bill that accounts for foul water drainage.
I found this out years ago and Severn Trent came and had a look but only ONE rainwater pipe off a tiny porch roof went into the drain so I couldn't get a rebate

It's worth a go to reduce your bill.
Old 12 August 2007, 10:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK thanks chaps. I'll commence battle tomorrow
Old 13 August 2007, 09:31 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I've moved to rates and my bills have doubled to £220.

Asked about assisted rates but they base it on the number of bedrooms not the number of occupants. I wouldn't mind so much but I've been told I can't have a meter.

I'd like to argue but I've found southern water to be useless at most things. Twice on 2 different properties I've bills arrive on a Friday and a final demand on a Saturday! When I call they say it's strange but when I'm chasing a bill they say they take up to 3 weeks but you have to pay within 7 days, 2 weeks before you get the bill - useless.
Old 13 August 2007, 09:43 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Well I don’t usually – I just wince and send a cheque off. £454.88 for this half-year; in advance of course

So this time I looked at the small print and see that I pay 81 pence per cubic metre for supply and 140 pence per cubic metre for wastewater drainage. I am on a meter btw. They make an assumption that 92% of the water we use goes back into the system.

But I have a relatively large fish pond and the water in this gets changed every couple of months to keep it clean and help control the algae. So that’s probably 6 complete water changes per year which is about 120 m3 of water which doesn’t go back into the system. So I am paying 120 x £1.40 over the odds or £168 per year too much.

So I’ll contact Southern Water but I won’t be holding my breath. So has anyone actually challenged their bill and got a result? dl
So where does the changed water go then?
Old 13 August 2007, 10:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
So where does the changed water go then?
The changed water is either pumped onto the flower beds or lawn. If there is any excess then it goes into a storm drain. Either way it doen't end up in the sewer/foul water drain. It's the sewer drain that is treated (@ £1.40 per m3) - the storm water drain will probably discharge somewhere into a river without being treated. dl
Old 13 August 2007, 11:04 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I spend £30 per month,i have 4 Bedrooms but also 4 bathroom/toilets in my house (2 kids, 2 adults) i also wash my cars very regular.

Some of the prices quoted are very high indeed.

Have you seen the bore hole you can now have drilled in your own gardens.They take up about 2ft and basically have a pump on the top of the lid.

They cost around £3k i believe but from that point on your water is free, you only pay a sewage handling charge but based on the fact you are putting more water back into the system the price you are charged is reflected in this.

The documentation i read said over 70% of UK homes could have one of these within its boundaries, several houses could also use the same bore hole as water pressure in most cases is more powerfull than from the standard mains.

Worth thinking about.
Old 13 August 2007, 11:12 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What the water companies could do is to change the charging structure so that households that use a lot over the "standard" amount pay through the nose. It would need meters, of course, and more guidance and help about using water sensibly. But it's not really in their interests to do this!!

They could do a fun programme in schools where kids were made to walk a mile to collect their water and bring it back in a bucket on their heads. They'd soon get the message
Old 13 August 2007, 01:11 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

yes but carry the buckets of water on your head, means your hands are free to carry additional buckets

Im not on a Meter in this house, and thank god I am not either, otherwise I would be probably paying triple or even quadruple what I pay now

Unless Metered rates have come down in the last 6 years
Old 13 August 2007, 01:25 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Even then, get a big enough tank and you may not even need that.
But a big tank would have to be underground (unless you have a lot of land on a hill) and the water would have to be pumped up. How does the cost of that electricity compare to the potential savings made?
Old 14 August 2007, 09:33 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,
Make a claim for a sewerage (or non return to sewer) allowance. All that is needed is a form to fill in stating how much used water you consider isn't being put into South Water sewers and how you calculated it.
You won't be able to claim back any historical charges though.

Nick
Old 14 August 2007, 09:52 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
David,
Make a claim for a sewerage (or non return to sewer) allowance. All that is needed is a form to fill in stating how much used water you consider isn't being put into South Water sewers and how you calculated it.
You won't be able to claim back any historical charges though.

Nick
Thanks Nick, I'll certainly do that. I wonder if there will be much argument? Shame about the historical bit as I have been overpaying since 2003

I'll try and find out what average water usage is for the 2.2 kid family in modern house as that might form a bit of background.
Old 14 August 2007, 10:10 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Have I ever queried my water bill?
Nope, and at £25 a month I don't intend to either!
Old 14 August 2007, 10:20 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Just phoned up Southern Water. Not a chance of a rebate. "But you are over charging me by about £150 per year". "Tough!!"

Plan 2 being considered
Old 14 August 2007, 01:50 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

David, going off your figures, and the assumption that most of what you export as waste has come from your tap, it works out that 2 cubic metres of water into your house costs about £2.20.

Thats 2000 litres, or 2 tons of water for just over 2 quid!

£ 0.001 per litre, not bad is it?

Not when you consider what goes into the processes of making it safe for you to drink, and then when you have finished, cleaning it up to make safe to go back into the river system.

I'd quit carping if I were you

Last edited by Chip Sengravy; 14 August 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 14 August 2007, 02:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
David, going off your figures, and the assumption that most of what you export as waste has come from your tap, it works out that 2 cubic metres of water into your house costs about £2.20.

Thats 2000 litres, or 2 tons of water for just over 2 quid!

£ 0.001 per litre, not bad is it?

Not when you consider what goes into the processes of making it safe for you to drink, and then when you have finished, cleaning it up to make safe to go back into the river system.

I'd quit carping if I were you
Are you calling me a miserable, tight fisted Meldrew type old git? Well spotted

But why should I pay a greedy private company £150 per year to treat water which they don't actually treat?

I worked for a water company for many years as an engineer and the water supplied was simply pumped out of the chalk, a bit of chlorine added, and that was it. I agree that treating foul water is a different ball game. dl
Old 14 August 2007, 02:13 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Fair point, that's a regional thing, up north the only chalk we have is at school for writing on our slates with This clean water, BTW,...it arrives at your house by magic?

I think the fact you are seeing two separate charges is clouding the issue. In reality, what goes out of your property must have come in via the tap, so one charge of £2.20 per M3 would negate your argument. I'd say commercial and industial premeses should pay separate clean and foul, ( with higher foul costs ) due to the nature of thier waste.

Anyway, I'm off to the dealers now to buy a Bently. When I get back, I'm going to get on the phone to British Petroleum, and play **** with them, becuase my new car only does 12 to the gallon

Quick Reply: Have you ever queried your water bill??