Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drink Driving Deaths highest since 1992

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 10:30 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drink Driving Deaths highest since 1992

Just picked that stat up from the BBC Traffic Cops programme tonight.

It is shameful and outrageous as what used to be drummed as anathema and just not done and is being chanced at due to the lack of proper policing...

Never have we been less safe, despite the record 'policing' penalties and 'income' from stuff that amounts to trivia in the real world longevity stakes.

D
Old 09 August 2007, 10:38 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Don't get me started on drink drivers
Old 09 August 2007, 10:39 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Here here.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:59 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Diesel
Never have we been less safe
Presumably we were less safe in 1991?
Old 09 August 2007, 11:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Presumably we were less safe in 1991?

Drink drivers make me sick Scum of the earth. We have never been safe
Old 09 August 2007, 11:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

But we have all those SPEED, sorry saftey scamera's on the roads, they should be able to spot all these drink drivers

Mart
Old 09 August 2007, 11:51 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Well... unless they're speeding, those drunk drivers couldn't possibly be dangerous..

Old 09 August 2007, 11:55 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I hope that is an Ironic post, Mart
Old 10 August 2007, 06:51 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

A drunk driver nearly cost me my life in 1996, he hit me head on at over 100mph
Cheers
Colin
Old 10 August 2007, 07:07 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
I hope that is an Ironic post, Mart
Mart thinks that irony is something you do to your cliothes after washing them
Old 10 August 2007, 07:10 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Lack of police patrols and reliance on speed cameras.
Old 10 August 2007, 08:07 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

That's a depressing headline and a sad state of affairs considering the stigma around drink driving has increased over the years. I recently reported a "friend" to crimestoppers who wouldn't heed my warnings about his 10pints and 2 mile drive home every weekend... He didnt get caught in the two proceeding weeks and then finally realised his retardedness and walked...
All that said, cameras catching people who speed are no bad thing but more traffic police, unmarked vehicles (including unmarked motorbikes), random check points etc are essential to help improve road safety.
Old 10 August 2007, 02:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Coupled with the gross increase in binge drinking and the misbehaviour which goes on as well with the change in the licensing hours, it is fair to say that was yet another of the stupid errors thought up by this useles bunch in charge. On a par with reclassifying Cannabis of course!

Les
Old 10 August 2007, 04:21 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
That's a depressing headline and a sad state of affairs considering the stigma around drink driving has increased over the years. I recently reported a "friend" to crimestoppers who wouldn't heed my warnings about his 10pints and 2 mile drive home every weekend... He didnt get caught in the two proceeding weeks and then finally realised his retardedness and walked...
All that said, cameras catching people who speed are no bad thing but more traffic police, unmarked vehicles (including unmarked motorbikes), random check points etc are essential to help improve road safety.
You are starting to sound sensible in your old age.

Just the spitting issue and you'll be there.
Old 10 August 2007, 06:18 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I've been done for drink driving in 2003. I was just over the legal limit (still no excuse). Banned for 9 months! It worked because i've not even touched alcohol if driving since. I look back even now and think if I'd hit someone I don't think i'd want to live
Old 10 August 2007, 07:23 PM
spireite
BANNED

i know 4 local cid officers who drink in the local snooker centre on a tuesday evening and 2 of them drive home after a good 5 hour session .
Old 10 August 2007, 11:17 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
more traffic police, unmarked vehicles (including unmarked motorbikes), random check points etc are essential to help improve road safety.
Agree with most of that but unsure of the safety benefit of being covert? Surely a presence is a deterrence in itself? Or is deterrence via a visual reminder not to push your luck (sonny!) an unquantifiable irrelevance these days?

I see many cars pulled by rozzers with blue lights stealthily behind the rad grille, rather than on top of the roof, on my daily M4 commute. Doesnt sit with me really. Shady! Its the same good argument as having a bobby on the beat surely?

D

PS Apologies for being a bit 'old fashioned' as I have just been watching Life on Mars - policing with a clip round the ear 'ole, rather than an invoice in the post, guv!
Old 11 August 2007, 08:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by r32
Lack of police patrols and reliance on speed cameras.
This is certainly a big factor imho. Also this comntributes towards drugged up drivers, drivers without licences, insurance, mots.
Old 11 August 2007, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
This is certainly a big factor imho. Also this comntributes towards drugged up drivers, drivers without licences, insurance, mots.
Of course it is. Just shows where this sorry bunch of incompetent self seeking prats put the priorities. They want all the cash they can get but don't give a stuff about what happens to the rest of us!

Les
Old 11 August 2007, 02:55 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Of course it is. Just shows where this sorry bunch of incompetent self seeking prats put the priorities. They want all the cash they can get but don't give a stuff about what happens to the rest of us!

Les
Steady on Les! Love it!!!

D
Old 11 August 2007, 03:37 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Just picked that stat up from the BBC Traffic Cops programme tonight.

D
It's not really a surprising statistic as there are far more drivers on the roads these days compared to 15 years ago, so not surprising theres more DD deaths too.

I'd expect every type of danger on the roads has increased compared to 15 years ago when it comes to the risks of other drivers.
Old 11 August 2007, 11:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEUVEN
It's not really a surprising statistic as there are far more drivers on the roads these days compared to 15 years ago, so not surprising theres more DD deaths too.

I'd expect every type of danger on the roads has increased compared to 15 years ago when it comes to the risks of other drivers.
I know there are more vehicles owned now now, but not so sure that we are having a population epidemic?

Road deaths were in fact decreasing year on year despite any increase in population/vehicles - that was until road and safety policies became centred on flash photography followed by a brown envelope... Fact - I'll post links if you need more.

D
Old 12 August 2007, 10:26 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Drink drivers I have to agree are scum of the earth. Am proud to say I have had 5 of then convicted = over 10 years in bans.!
Nearly been taken out twice by them now.

USA have the right idea, jail! Not straight off I know but you dont get away with being caught 5-10 times without prison time.
Old 12 August 2007, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Steady on Les! Love it!!!

D
I do get a bit irritated at times Diesel, but I mean what I say though._

Bring back the proper traffic police and stop relying on speedcams to save them money and make more out of us instead I say.

Les
Old 12 August 2007, 12:25 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
>> Am proud to say I have had 5 of then convicted = over 10 years in bans.! <<.
Not sure if you are a copper or a civvie, but that is a bit of REAL road safety work. Nice one.

D
Old 12 August 2007, 01:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Not sure if you are a copper or a civvie, but that is a bit of REAL road safety work. Nice one.

D
Just Joe public mate Met rejected me, so I cant be a copper lol
But still happy with that.

2 of there were following them almost killing me, once on foot, once in the car, and the rest have just been right place right time, and dare I say, right attitude

1 turned out to be a bit scary as it was the sister of a rather dangerous local family who I grew up with. Found that out the day I faced her in court. Wondered why the police were "keeping an eye on the house" and picked me up to take me to court that day lol

Another a rather arrogant mid aged guy, from an indoor bowling club. Sadly full of senior and retired cops (seems to be a hobby of theirs, bowling not DUI) They were kind enough to pass on the details of the 999 caller somehow to the rest of the club. Needless to say I did very few shifts there thereafter.

At the end of the day, if I could do it all again with the knowledge of the people I now have, I still would. Got no issues putting crap like that into the hands of the law, just wished it resulted in jail time !
Old 12 August 2007, 01:43 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

It does surprise me that people who get caught over and over again are able to retain their licence even though they've shown themselves to be too irresponsible to drive.

Being caught once I can put down to a moment of idiotic irresponsibility and a mistake; but when you hear of people doing it time, time, and time again yet are still able to regain their licence after serving their ban annoys the hell out of me.

I do find it gratifying though, that young drivers arn't having the finger pointed at them for being the worst offenders for once.
Old 12 August 2007, 01:49 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
It does surprise me that people who get caught over and over again are able to retain their licence even though they've shown themselves to be too irresponsible to drive.

Being caught once I can put down to a moment of idiotic irresponsibility and a mistake; but when you hear of people doing it time, time, and time again yet are still able to regain their licence after serving their ban annoys the hell out of me.

I do find it gratifying though, that young drivers arn't having the finger pointed at them for being the worst offenders for once.
Could not agree more mate.
Once with a bloody good reason, or admission of complete stupidity. Slightly over the limit, pay the price, learn the lesson.

I dont drink as a rule, but will on holiday, where I wont be in contact with a car for at least a week. Just for a giggle and to give some humour back to my mates to see me tipsy. Alcohol as a whole does not appeal to me, so I cant full understand drink driving and the desire to do so.
BUT

Basic morals tell you, want to drink, leave keys at home. Taken car, but want to drink, leave car where it is.

The office I used to work in was notorious for all the guys in their mid 40's etc to have loads of wine then drive home... Needless to say that didnt go un noticed!
Old 12 August 2007, 10:02 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

The office I used to work in was notorious for all the guys in their mid 40's etc to have loads of wine then drive home... Needless to say that didnt go un noticed!
I shall never forget a similar one myself. A drink after work turns into 8 - one still drives home... I belled him as 'CID' he falls to pieces explaning that he cant possibly come for a breath test as his parents are down. I inform him I'll breath test his parents TOO if he doesnt come down the nick! Cut a long story short... he thinks £7 to a taxi is a cleverer option now (even though he did come at me with a knife at the time, 18yrs ago!!!!!)...

D
Old 13 August 2007, 11:45 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Agree with most of that but unsure of the safety benefit of being covert? Surely a presence is a deterrence in itself? Or is deterrence via a visual reminder not to push your luck (sonny!) an unquantifiable irrelevance these days?

I see many cars pulled by rozzers with blue lights stealthily behind the rad grille, rather than on top of the roof, on my daily M4 commute. Doesnt sit with me really. Shady! Its the same good argument as having a bobby on the beat surely?

D

PS Apologies for being a bit 'old fashioned' as I have just been watching Life on Mars - policing with a clip round the ear 'ole, rather than an invoice in the post, guv!
LOL @ Spoon re the spitting I havent done that for a while now, simply because I changed my route to a quieter one...

Diesel, my wish for more unmarked cars is to address not only drink driving, but to observe and prosecute any form of bad driving.
Visible deterrents are a good thing...
As for drink driving, I never understand how, for example a sales rep can drink 10 pints of beer, get caught driving home and then NOT lose his/her license because they "need it for their job" Tough doodoo... They should have thought about that before getting back in the car at the end of the night I see that form of complacency too often where people feel able to drink more than is legal because they wont be banned

Quick Reply: Drink Driving Deaths highest since 1992