Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What would you do ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 10:09 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do ?

On the way home tonight approaching a very busy roundabout near where I live I could see a car stopped with hazard lights on. It was right on the roundabout blocking all the other traffic,most people were squeezing round the car by going up the pavement etc. As I approached the car I could see it was an elderley man around at least 85 years old. I stopped the car and went over to see if I could help,the guy was very hard of hearing and was very upset. He had an RAC breakdown card but had no idea what to do with it. A lady also stopped and she rang the RAC for the guy and took him away from the road where he was safer. I decided to push his car out of the way as it couldn't be driven.

I'd say for around a good 5 minutes cars were driving past and couldn't be bothered to stop and help even though I was trying to move the car myself.

Eventually a car stopped and a guy helped me move the car out of the way,when we were doing this some tw*t gave us a load of abuse

The old guy was very upset by what happened but couldn't have said thankyou anymore if he tried

How many of you would have done the same,would you have stopped and helped or would you have just thought 'let someone else do it' ?
Old 09 August 2007, 10:12 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

i've drove 5 mins up the road before now and just cant help myself but to go back and help (mechanic)

it drives the missus mad
Old 09 August 2007, 10:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Stopped and helped many times and will continue to do so. I prefer blondes with large mams though, but old blokes get the same treatment initially.

Well done.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:14 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I feel compelled to help when out of work.

Most people don't want to get involved, regardless of the incident. I've known people to walk past others who are in the process of being robbed/sexually assualted etc.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:16 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Stopped and helped many times and will continue to do so. I prefer blondes with large mams though, but old blokes get the same treatment initially.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:16 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Well done.
LOL That would have been nicer !
Old 09 August 2007, 10:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Maybe the old boy is rich and will remember you in his will

Although I doubt he can even recall the incident from your story.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:19 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Good on you for helping out.

Many years ago when I used to commute into Edinburgh a woman bumper her Scirocco. She was about thirty - tight redhead with a smart shortish skirt on and awesome legs. Very busy road and the number of blokes stopping to try and help was silly!
Old 09 August 2007, 10:20 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Maybe the old boy is rich and will remember you in his will

Although I doubt he can even recall the incident from your story.
How grateful he was is enough for me
Old 09 August 2007, 10:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Indeed.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
How grateful he was is enough for me
That's why I prefer the blondes.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:39 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

That's why I prefer the blondes.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:54 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Well done, I would have definately stopped for the old guy, there are times I see people waiting on RAC and AA trucks for a flat tyre and Ive really considered stopping but never have because they look calm and collected like theyve already rang the AA etc.

All depends who has broke down and if I think I can help. if it was some young lads I wouldnt bother with fear of being car jacked etc etc....
Old 09 August 2007, 11:00 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Well done, I would have definately stopped for the old guy, there are times I see people waiting on RAC and AA trucks for a flat tyre and Ive really considered stopping but never have because they look calm and collected like theyve already rang the AA etc.

All depends who has broke down and if I think I can help. if it was some young lads I wouldnt bother with fear of being car jacked etc etc....
That's a good point. Maybe if it was a car full of young lads I wouldn't have stopped,they could have looked after themselves though so it wouldn't have bothered me as much !
Old 09 August 2007, 11:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Depends on the oocupants.. car full of blokes can look after themselves.

Old bloke/ biddy i,d stop and help, and again for mum & kids in car...

what worries me is if matey boy had a RAC card but didnt know what to do with it, was he really capable of driving a car??

Mind you i,ve had the same, a mum broke down on a roundabout, and left the two kids in the car, while she stood outside on the pavement looking for help

I pulled over and went back to help, as did another guy i work with...

Some feds pulled out of the junction looked at us, and drove round the roundabout (wtf) away from us trying to move this car!!

Give them there due, they carried on round, lit up the road with blues, and roadblocked the roundabout, so we could get the woman and her kids to safety.. in the nearby layby

Mart
Old 10 August 2007, 12:06 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I'd stop to help, have done in the past and would do again. Unless of course I was really really in a hurry or needed to remain clean (eg. going to a job interview). One time it was a young chavvy looking lad with a broken starter motor who had stalled in L2 of a motorway exit slip and was trying to push his car uphill while his GF drove. Noone deserves that even if you do despise their socio-economic group . looped around, parked where it was safe and helped, then gave him a lift into the services rather than walking on the roundabout. He appreciated it (and the free ride in a scooby

I seem to have bad luck with breakdowns though. Burnt out my clutch on a motorway exit slip once. Had the variable valve timing control pulley fall off on company Audi whilst blocking a roundabout. (no-one helped, they just drove through the roadworks. Crank angle sensor failed on the same Audi at the give-way line for another busy roundabout, in rush hour. What amazes me is that even with the bonnet up (much higher than the roof in this particular car) and the hazard lights on, people still drive right up behind you and start beeping their horn when there's a gap.
Old 10 August 2007, 12:23 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I always help and always have. Sometimes non-helpers really **** me off. 1990 - I was going to pick up the GF down a dark twisty road.... no street lights... came to a bad bend to find a car sitting in the middle of the road. Stopped to find a middle aged woman had run out of petrol. I knew the road and knew that leaving it anywhere for the next half a mile was an accident waiting to happen, so I took my own car to the layby (half a mile away) and sptrinted back to give her a hand. I was pushing and she was steering when a car pulls up close behind, then drops back 30/40 yards with hazard lights on. I think 'good man.. that should stop someone rear ending her and killing me' Kept pushing for ages more and eventually got to the layby. Heart was pounding from the effort. Nice chap with the hazards on pull up and says 'I would offer you a lift but I have a full car' - I look inside the car to find the driver and 4 lads all in their 20's. Lazy barstewards could have got out and give me a hand.
Old 10 August 2007, 12:31 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Good to see everyone on here would stop and help
Old 10 August 2007, 12:35 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My ex-boss (lovely guy) stopped to help when a car in front hit a deer. He was killed by a car rushing past as he was trying to open the driver's door .....

Yeah I would stop and help. dl
Old 10 August 2007, 07:11 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

On the way home tonight approaching a very busy roundabout near where I live I could see a car stopped with hazard lights on. It was right on the roundabout blocking all the other traffic,most people were squeezing round the car by going up the pavement etc. As I approached the car I could see it was an elderley man around at least 85 years old. I stopped the car and went over to see if I could help,the guy was very hard of hearing and was very upset. He had an RAC breakdown card but had no idea what to do with it. A lady also stopped and she rang the RAC for the guy and took him away from the road where he was safer. I decided to push his car out of the way as it couldn't be driven.

I'd say for around a good 5 minutes cars were driving past and couldn't be bothered to stop and help even though I was trying to move the car myself.

Eventually a car stopped and a guy helped me move the car out of the way,when we were doing this some tw*t gave us a load of abuse

The old guy was very upset by what happened but couldn't have said thankyou anymore if he tried

How many of you would have done the same,would you have stopped and helped or would you have just thought 'let someone else do it' ?

how many others on here have had the pleasure of meeting pslewis face to face then?

btw, i would stop and help.
Old 10 August 2007, 07:14 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Well done mate, you deserve to feel good about yourself......
Old 10 August 2007, 07:39 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Well done you for stopping! ive stopped a few times but most of them had called rac or aa and wanted to be left so i went on my merry way.

last night i ran out of diesel on a industrial estate i had cars and lorrys going past me doing at least 40-60 i was in a van but got it on the pavement as much as i could but no one stopped. luckily it was only that i had run out of diesel and nothing more serious.

Ive been in my van coming back from Birmingham and broke down in the outside lane of the m6 managed to get to the hard shoulder where stafford services are there was lorries and cars flying past no one stopped then not even highways patrol!!! i was sat there for 6 hours and no git stopped. Its not like i would of jumped them or anything it was two women at the end of the day!

Anyway well done!
Old 10 August 2007, 02:29 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

A few months ago I stopped for a middle aged woman.
Engine had flooded but we needed to move the car off the carriageway.
Me and my girlfriend and another chap began pushing when the woman began steering towards on-coming traffic
Seeing traffic approaching and in panic she shouted "I don't know what to do..??!!??" and proceeds to jump out (Car Still moving)
I jumped in and started steering it safely into a nearby layby - Leaving the girlfriend pushing
Old 10 August 2007, 02:50 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes, I've stopped and helped in similar situations in the past.
Old 10 August 2007, 03:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I bet most on SN would try to help in a similar situation but I would like to congratulate you for doing so anyway. It used to be an unwritten rule that motorists would help each other in trouble in the early days of motoring, and biking for that matter, but as you saw, not many will bother to do so now.

Well done from me too.

Where did you get all that BHP from anyway?

Les
Old 10 August 2007, 04:51 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

A few years ago, i stopped to help a bird stranded on the hard shoulder, turns out she'd run out of petrol, and she was at FLAPCON5 as she was stuck on the motorway. So I got back in the car went to the next junction and got her a gallon, I had a can in the car, but no proper lid, so most of it ended up on the floor...

went back to this bird, and when I got there she was on the emergency phone screaming HE'S WALKING TOWARDS ME!!! , crapping herself,then shouts at me that the coppers are watching me on camera, and I was to stay where I was!

Which I did, then she got in the car and locked it! I then motioned to the petrol, she told me to put *in the tank through a small gap in the window . By this time I realise she is a complete ******* fruitcake and plan to craft an immediate exit...

As I finish chucking the fuel in, the bill roll up and get out of their car like men on a mission

"Right son, on your way, we'll deal with this now."

No thanks, no kiss my ****, no 2 pound ******* fifty for the gallon of petrol , nothing! The crazy split **** never even muttered a word of thanks either

And that, was the last time I ever helped anyone on the motorway

apart from another bird on the M53 last week that needed her exhaust tying up. she caught me feeling soft hearted, and she was causing carnage driving along at 20 mph.

* she told me through the small gap in the window, I didn't fill her car this way
Old 10 August 2007, 04:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Tying that up on the move, even at 20mph takes some *****, Chips.
Old 10 August 2007, 04:57 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Mate, sometimes you just got to do these things to keep the traffic moving, and be an all round knight in shining Vectra. I wouldn't do it any faster than that, the cemetrys' full of hero's
Old 10 August 2007, 05:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I totally agree, 25mph might have been fatal or at the very least you might have scraped your new shiny shoes.

Good call indeed.
Old 10 August 2007, 05:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped to help an old fella in a Metro years ago, stuck on a junction, didnt say thanks, kiss my **** or nothing !

The an artic that couldnt wait took the corner off my Golf GTI, f*ck em I say !