Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

USA-Disable driver blue badge--can it be used in UK ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2007, 07:51 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question USA-Disable driver blue badge--can it be used in UK ?

We have some American friends coming over to stay with us shortly, one of whom is a blue badge holder (disabled driver) back in the states.
Can she use her blue badge over here in the UK to access the disable driver parking bays ? Life would be much easier if she can.

I know that in UK it is the Local Council who issue them and I will ask ours but I rather suspect that they will have no idea !

Thanks

JBL
Old 06 August 2007, 08:42 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

I can't see why not.... but then again she will prob have to get a temp UK one.
Old 06 August 2007, 08:46 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DfT
Advice for Disabled Travellers from Abroad The blue badge introduced a standard design of disabled persons' parking card across all European Union (EU) Member States. This enables disabled visitors from within the EU to enjoy the parking concessions provided in the UK by displaying the badge issued under their own national scheme.
For visitors from countries outside of the EU where no formal arrangements currently exist, UK parking enforcement officials may be prepared to recognise your disabled motorists' badges, although that will be entirely at their own discretion. We suggest that you bring your badge with you and check with the local police in the areas you intend to visit.
Details of the concessions UK blue badge holders are entitled to are contained in our explanatory booklet on the Scheme.
Department for Transport - Blue Badge Scheme: Frequently asked questions

Originally Posted by Tourism for All
For overseas visitors, there are no reciprocal arrangements between Britain and the USA, however, most places, with the exception of Central London, will honour the US sticker, providing the car is safely parked. Rules related to disabled Badges are different in relation to the country you are coming from; therefore we strictly suggest you to check with the authority at your country about relative restrictions or validity.
Tourism for All UK
Old 06 August 2007, 09:58 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

good find swampster
Old 06 August 2007, 11:22 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Gosh, thanks for that Swampster, I did a google search but couldn't come up with anything.
Cheers

JBL
Old 07 August 2007, 12:09 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

No worries.. while I guess they might be alright using it.. it's a bit of a "do so at your own risk thing".

Still you have like a month to pay a parking fine IIRC.. so if they're not here for that long, then what the hell... just do it anyway (as long as it's not a clamping/crushing/tow away zone! We can't extradite people for serious crimes from the US, so i doubt we'll get anyone for a parking fine!
Old 07 August 2007, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good one swampster. I think it would be particularly unfair if they would not allow its full use.

Les