Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2007, 08:18 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career Change...

Anyone done it?

If so what did you go from and to?

Just curious, after 20+ years in IT had enough really and after some real life experiences from others (not suggestions thanks very much! )

Gary
Old 31 July 2007, 08:57 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I left IT in October after 12 years to concentrate on flying Paragliders and Paramotors, am constantly thinking of new things to do work wise but haven't found anything that pays real money yet. Hopefully you'll be as surprised as me how little you spend when you're not working, I'm actually quite cheap.
Old 31 July 2007, 09:01 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

My brother was a time served Joiner. Stuck it for about 14 years then decided he wanted to become a Farrier. Luckily his wife supported him through his training and now he is coining it in. Best thing he ever did
He shoes my horse for free, so good move
Old 31 July 2007, 09:10 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Left IT after twelves year.
Took a year out and now work for a company that provides setup equipment to race teams, such as suspension setup, corner weight scales, basically anything to setup or test suspension, shocks, tyres etc...
Also make scales for weighing aircraft, trucks etc...
Is great going to race days for free, and getting time off in lieu etc...
Best bit is cos there are only teo of us outside the states we are basically our on bosses, and get to decide each day what we want to do. variety of jobplus bing involved in motorsport makes it great!
Old 01 August 2007, 08:52 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys!
Old 01 August 2007, 09:28 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Left IT after 20 years and now watch planes. Get paid for doing it as well!
Old 01 August 2007, 09:37 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Left IT after 20 years and now watch planes.
Is that an understated title for for Air traffic controller?

My friend did a PhD in 'Wires'
Old 01 August 2007, 09:37 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Left IT/Business Change after 22 years and set up my own company doing whatever comes along. Work a lot less hours, only do things I enjoy and make about the same amount of money.

Spend about eight weeks travelling the world each year.

Give it a go - you might enjoy it
Old 01 August 2007, 09:50 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Interesting post Gary

I've been working in IT for about 15 years now and lately have just been feeling increasingly fedup and bored of it all.

A change of careers is something I've also been contemplating / discussing with the other half

The BIG question.... what?

Andy
Old 01 August 2007, 09:54 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
set up my own company doing whatever comes along
Rannoch - mind giving some exmaples? Intrigued as to the whole setting up own company and only doing whatever comes along - or do you mean you're still working in IT but being a lot more picky?

Cheers

Andy
Old 01 August 2007, 09:56 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
Is that an understated title for for Air traffic controller?

My friend did a PhD in 'Wires'
ATC? No way, having sat with those guys for the odd day or 2, there is no way I want that level of responsibility!

I track the aircraft, but from an environmental viewpoint, not ATC!
Old 01 August 2007, 10:06 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Started in recruitment, switched to pure sales, then did some Geotech engineering (got an Eng degree) after getting sick of sales, too badly paid so back to recruitment, then sales again, set up own business, now do PR and some "contract" sales with wife and it's going very well.

Also had short stints of doing farm and site labouring - Had about a million jobs and very aware that good things don't always last long!
Old 01 August 2007, 10:28 AM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

I am in IT and have been for 12 years. 3 weeks ago I resigned and I am now riding out my 3 month notice period. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I have been looking at all sorts from sales to owning a chips away franchise (that way the scoob is always in top condition). I have already got some holiday brochures so may travel for a few months to clear my head and decide what next. the only problem with travelling is I will miss the car so I may go on a european road trip.
I certainly feel that I dont want to be in IT anymore. I think the problem is I am paid as a professional to do a job but my bosses, who are accountants know best so overule any decisions made. This attitude and action is making it harder to keep the network running smoothly as they are doing their best to destroy it.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:59 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Bodgit - same experience also. Companies want 20k solutions for 2k and then they wonder why it turns out to be a pile steaming cow pat.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:06 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I did 10 years in my last job - it was my only job since ending education and it was brilliant for the first few years but then it all changed and became very messy and I had enough and the last 2 years were a drag, I left in March and have not looked back. I now run my own business, its a massive difference to my old career but I really enjoy it.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:44 AM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Gary, thanks for starting this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only person taking the jump away from a career and was worrying about if I had made a mistake or not. Now I am more confident in the decision I made.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:51 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Im 35, but went through this at 30. Im an IT contractor, have been since I was 25 but had enough and wanted a career change.

So, at 30, I gave it up, decided I wanted to get out. Finished my contract, I spent 3 months thinking what to do, car dealer, sales, pizza place franchise, etc etc, but went back into IT.

The hardest part is starting again, as any new career means less money, lots of learning, for the begining part.

It bores the hell out of me. I cant believe Im still contracting, as I reckon I know aboslutely nothing, not really IT focus'ed or interested in IT. But, I dont know what else to do. I love cars, and still hope that one day I might buy / sell imports.

SBK
Old 01 August 2007, 12:32 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

So so far in this thread the majority of us have either been working in IT or used to and were just plain bored of it / fedup of the restrictions
Old 01 August 2007, 12:45 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
So so far in this thread the majority of us have either been working in IT or used to and were just plain bored of it / fedup of the restrictions

Yes, I noticed that. I think it is because it has slowly become the most disrespected career going and is seen as a very high overhead to any company. Thus creating low morale and self esteem issues.

I have lost count of the amount of stupid ill informed comments I have heard from upon high. My favourite was "Why are we spending all this money on network links between offices when I can get broadband at home for £14.99 a month , surely that would do". I didnt even want to start explaining why that was.

IT is a strange industry with users unable to work on pc's through lack of training and it is always directed as a fault of IT.

My arguement is - You dont buy a car and expect to be able to drive it with no training or lessons. However anyone buying a pc or working on one expect to be able to just do it and if they cant it's a bug or "that stupid IT department"
Old 01 August 2007, 12:49 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

I'm in IT also and am thinking the same, the problem is that going from a cushy existence to nothing to then start again is all a bit scary. I always have ideas but dont have the ***** to do anything about it ! IT sucks nowadays as everything is done to a short term rather than planning for the long term and designing properly ............ and the paperwork !!
Old 01 August 2007, 12:58 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I left IT 3.5 years ago, more or less accidentally. but then I go into it accidentally too. Bored of my current job, see I've been wondering about heading back into IT, but it just doesn't interest me, and never did.

I'm setting up a photography business, which is hard work, and costing me everything I have, but at least if I pull it off I'll be doing something I love.

Trouble is, when you get older, and have kids, you have to think more long term - pensions, mortage, what happens if you can't work for a while etc. It's very easy to be put off and stay where you are.
Old 01 August 2007, 01:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't know if it counts but I started out in mechanical engineering - repairing industrial scrubbing machines and jet washers. Did that for 4 years.

I now work in an IFA practice as the "Practice Manager". I make sure everything runs smoothly behind the scenes so all the IFAs have to do is purely advise. We work on a payment for knowledge (Like accountants or solictors) rather than commission - although I large amount of income is still via commission.

The business was started by my mother and a fellow work colleague. I am Qualified to Diploma level but I don't like having to deal with people which is a failing in this industry.

My problem is, I don't really mind doing the job but don't get a kick out of it like some do. I'm supposed to take over the company over the next 5 years and I get the "golden opportunity" speach rammed down my throat at least once a month but I really don't want to inherit a business in an industry I don't enjoy being in.

However, in West Wales there aren't many places I can earn what I'm earning here so I don't have many choices. At 30 I wouldn't mind trying something else - maybe even doing something I really enjoy.

I just want to build rally cars all day.
Old 01 August 2007, 01:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
My problem is, I don't really mind doing the job but don't get a kick out of it like some do. I'm supposed to take over the company over the next 5 years and I get the "golden opportunity" speach rammed down my throat at least once a month but I really don't want to inherit a business in an industry I don't enjoy being in.
So sell the business!
Old 01 August 2007, 02:16 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I just want to build rally cars all day.
Ditto - all I need to do first is win the lottery so I can find someone who'll teach me for free Unfortunately the salary I would get paid for doing that won't cover my monthly outgoings
Old 01 August 2007, 05:08 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
Ditto - all I need to do first is win the lottery so I can find someone who'll teach me for free Unfortunately the salary I would get paid for doing that won't cover my monthly outgoings
Anybody want to club in and start up a rally car building company?
Old 01 August 2007, 05:36 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Anybody want to club in and start up a rally car building company?
Would the first car be any good or a constant work in progress?
Old 01 August 2007, 06:08 PM
spireite
BANNED

i worked as a scaffolder for the last 18 years .now working as a health+ safety consultant £147 for the first 2 hours ,£47 every hour after that
Old 01 August 2007, 10:10 PM
Kirsty Towler
Scooby Regular

I worked in call centres for roughly 9 years, until one day I just couldn't face being shouted by one more person. Just upped and left there and then, worried about finding something else for a week or so and finally landed a job in recruitment which I'd been thinking about for about 6 months.
Since then I've never looked back - I used to come in from work stressed as hell and worry about the next day/rest of the week. Now I'll quite happily stay late - time off in lieu AND extra cash/vouchers for doing a job I love!!

Took a while to finally build up to doing all this and haven't looked back.

Go for it, really. Life's hard enough, you don't want to be unhappy or dissatisfied going into work every day.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do
Old 01 August 2007, 10:16 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spireite
i worked as a scaffolder for the last 18 years .now working as a health+ safety consultant £147 for the first 2 hours ,£47 every hour after that
Well done mate,Worked as a chippy since i left school but the bloody pollacks soon screwed that up. So i retrained this year and took a load of exams, 14 in total and worked for 7 months with no pay but now i'm a fully qualified corgi gas engineer so now to get a job and hopefully the good times will come again.Decide i needed to be in a proffesion that is not affected by the interest rates etc..and especially with the construction industry starting to pull back. Like yourself a big big decision but it had to be done. Plus i've started delving into the property side of things, so hopefully that will work out, especially as i have contacts in all building trades to do work for me.I quite fancy the earlier post of building rally cars though. How great would that be.

Quick Reply: Career Change...