Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UK housing market is 'overvalued'

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2007, 12:12 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation UK housing market is 'overvalued'

What many of us have thought for some time seems to be confirmed by this report:

UK house prices are at least 20% overvalued

High levels of debt make the UK economy one of the most vulnerable in the world to higher interest rates, it added.
BBC NEWS | Business | UK housing market is 'overvalued'

So it seems the potential is there for house prices to 'realign' by losing at least 20% of their value at some point. Possibly after the next couple of interest rate rises.....
Old 30 July 2007, 12:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't you feel sorry for PSL with all that property he tells us he owns? Wonder where he is by the way, hope the mussels didn't finish him off!

Les
Old 30 July 2007, 12:25 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Counter that with a report I was reading last week, that says demand is still far outstripping supply. If that's the case, I can't see a 20% correction happening anytime soon. Unless of course, those next few rate rises release a tidal wave of properities onto the market.
Old 30 July 2007, 12:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
Don't you feel sorry for PSL with all that property he tells us he owns? Wonder where he is by the way, hope the mussels didn't finish him off!

Les
My minions were out but there was no sight of him in north Cornwall
Old 30 July 2007, 12:29 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Counter that with a report I was reading last week, that says demand is still far outstripping supply. If that's the case, I can't see a 20% correction happening anytime soon. Unless of course, those next few rate rises release a tidal wave of properities onto the market.

Kick all the layabouts out of council houses ,sponging of the state for rent,money and council tax. That should free up 1.5million homes
Old 30 July 2007, 12:38 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

And if 20% scares/makes you smile, then this report is just over 6 weeks old:

House prices 'are 65% too high'
The housing market in Britain is up to 65% overvalued and needs further interest rate rises to cool it, international economists warned yesterday. The Organisation for Economic Co- operation and Development revealed that UK property prices are among the most stretched of any major world economy.
At the same time, finance experts warned that the Bank of England could increase interest rates to 6% before the end of the year.
The prospect will alarm homebuyers who are already struggling to meet their monthly mortgage payments after four hikes since last August. Annual payments on an average £150,000 mortgage are already £1,200 higher than this time last year.
The Paris-based OECD said it was worried about the valuations of homes in a range of countries following a world-wide boom. It said a slowdown is long overdue and that a property crash cannot be ruled out.
Old 30 July 2007, 12:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Note the use of the phrase "up to", which, of course, means "less than" - just like it does when companies issue misleading adverts for "up to" some large discount on kitchens, carpets, furniture and the like.
Old 30 July 2007, 01:50 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

yup 1% is UP TO 50%

People buy when prices are going up, they don't when they are going down.

Once everyone knows prices are going down, no-one will buy as they'll be waiting for the market to bottom out, this in turn will cause more rapid price falls. As to WHEN this will happen, who knows, don't think it's far off though.

Basically, people jump on the sailing ship, however they jump off the sinking ship far faster than they walked on.

NO-ONE knows what will happen, anyone that says they do are full-of-crap. However, we can say what we believe is more or less likely. I'd say a fall/correction will(is) happen(ing) is more likely than the prices continuing upwards at any sort of significant. Only time will tell if I'm right or not.
Old 30 July 2007, 02:33 PM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

With the government letting in 2.5million new workers (not to mention the huge numbers of spongers) since 2002, they all have to live somewhere. With limited land available and planning regs as they are is it any wonder prices keep going up and look silly on any rational sense of value (ie average wage)?

Can't see a 20% fall any time soon.
Old 30 July 2007, 02:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
What many of us have thought for some time seems to be confirmed by this report:

BBC NEWS | Business | UK housing market is 'overvalued'

So it seems the potential is there for house prices to 'realign' by losing at least 20% of their value at some point. Possibly after the next couple of interest rate rises.....

Do a search on Scoobynet and you'll realise that house prices will never fall ......... fact.
Old 30 July 2007, 05:35 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyh
With the government letting in 2.5million new workers (not to mention the huge numbers of spongers) since 2002, they all have to live somewhere. With limited land available and planning regs as they are is it any wonder prices keep going up and look silly on any rational sense of value (ie average wage)?

Can't see a 20% fall any time soon.
However the new immigrants are not living 2 adults and 2 kids to a 4bed house - its more like 5-6 adults to a 4 bed house at least!

Also prices will fall even if demand increases if banks are unwilling to lend such high amounts due to ever-increasing bad debt.

I think house prices are not really something to be worried about if we are talking about the potential credit crunch which could be in progress.
Old 30 July 2007, 08:17 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Also prices will fall even if demand increases if banks are unwilling to lend such high amounts due to ever-increasing bad debt.
The only reason house prices are as high as they are is because banks have continued to lend more and more while interest rates were low because it made them lots of money.

If banks actually practiced responsible lending like they claim to, the housing market wouldn't be in the over-inflated state its in now. Simple economics, if people have more money to spend, they're going to spend more money, and the lower the interest rate, the more banks need to lend to make the same profit..

Interest rates should have been raised higher months ago in order to head off the inflation - I don't think 5.75% is going to stop inflation now.. I think they're going to increase by at least another 1.25% before people feel the pressure and take the hint to stop spending.

(Yes, I DO know better than the Bank of England! )
Old 30 July 2007, 09:00 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've got enough equity in my house to cover it, I can afford to double the mortgage if I need to plus I'm planning on staying here for another 25 years. Don't care which way the prices go, although I'd prefer up
Old 30 July 2007, 09:11 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I've got enough equity in my house to cover it, I can afford to double the mortgage if I need to plus I'm planning on staying here for another 25 years. Don't care which way the prices go, although I'd prefer up
Why? How many houses do you own?
Old 30 July 2007, 09:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Just the 1
Old 30 July 2007, 10:10 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

So why do you want the value to go up? It just makes it more expensive to move to a bigger house / nicer area in the future?
Old 30 July 2007, 10:19 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Because if you read my post, I don't plan to move to any house for a considerable amount of time and when I do move, it will be to a smaller property (unless I win the lottery) and the area I live in is very nice as it is, thanks. As long as it's worth more than I paid for it/spent on the mortgage, I'll be happy.
Old 30 July 2007, 11:50 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I read a report t'other day that said levels of housebuilding will shortly drop away due to lack of land available. Mmmm ... remember school economics, demand vs supply?

TX.
Old 30 July 2007, 11:54 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Because if you read my post, I don't plan to move to any house for a considerable amount of time
So you don't give a **** that millions of young people can't afford a place to live, so long as the paper value of your property exceeds an arbitrary threshold?

Can't fault your reasoning
Old 31 July 2007, 12:00 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I read a report t'other day that said levels of housebuilding will shortly drop away due to lack of land available. Mmmm ... remember school economics, demand vs supply?
I think you're stretching the useful application of GCSE economics.

Besides, UK property companies have enough land ready for hundreds of thousands of new houses. And the public sector has even more.
Old 31 July 2007, 12:33 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

What happens when the interest rates hit the youngsters credit cards that are renting most of these second/third properties?

Bet the 1st thing they think is "**** living on here, I'm off back home to continue living the high life". How does that leave the buy to let people with their higher interest rate mortgages?

Will they be go against the "I'm not gonna rent to immigrants/DSS" stance?
Old 31 July 2007, 01:00 AM
abbott
Scooby Regular

at present im pretty damn knackered im living in a seaside town outside inverness wich property value is rising the fastest out of most seaside towns in the UK i have just been offered a mortgage and i just cant afford to get anywhere , houses are going up for offers over 95 and ending up at 130 odd its just ridiculous im thinking about moving away but then theres wextra pressure of new job etc etc !!
Old 31 July 2007, 07:10 AM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
House prices are not driven by supply and demand.
They are driven by fear and greed.
Old 31 July 2007, 08:04 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
So you don't give a **** that millions of young people can't afford a place to live, so long as the paper value of your property exceeds an arbitrary threshold?

Can't fault your reasoning
Exactly.

You're a moron.
Old 31 July 2007, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
My minions were out but there was no sight of him in north Cornwall
Its the thought of him doing a "hang ten" with a Zimmer frame that gets me.

Les
Old 31 July 2007, 04:46 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a house for £109,000 it was up for £130,000. Three bedroom semi, gardens on three sides, drive for three cars and very close to local park.

My point is that although the prices are high, no one is buying and will low offers going through the chain will result in lower house prices!!

I think
Old 31 July 2007, 05:25 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Only if you live in an area where no one wants to live

Houses around me are selling in days for very near/on asking price.
Old 31 July 2007, 05:27 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I just bought a house for £109,000 it was up for £130,000. Three bedroom semi, gardens on three sides, drive for three cars and very close to local park.

My point is that although the prices are high, no one is buying and will low offers going through the chain will result in lower house prices!!

I think

ohhhhhhhhh my god where are you from mate immoving down your way !!!

you can just about scrape a 1 bed flat up my way for 100k !!!

Quick Reply: UK housing market is 'overvalued'