Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV Help!

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2007, 08:21 AM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TV Help!

To cut a long story short I bought a rear projection tv off ebay, set it all up and the picture is 'ok' but needs some tuning.
When you look at the screen its as though there are two images, the main one and a faint one ever so slightly to the left of main. Sorry about the crap description.
I have heard about an engineers service menu that has different settings in it, anyone know how to access this? or any other advice would be great

I have posted on the AVforums with not a single reply.
Tv is Samsung SP43J6HD with a telewest box, pioneer dvd player and xbox 360.
The image is even worse when using the 360, dont know why?!
Thanks in advance
Big Yim
Old 29 July 2007, 08:41 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

If you are talking classic rear projection and not DLP, then it sounds like setting up the convergence manually would be a good start and go from there. Iam assuming that it also has auto convergence. I would do it in a darkened room, as in all curtains closed etc.
Old 29 July 2007, 08:44 AM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

How would I go about setting up the convergence? and also what the hell is convergence? Usually watch it in a darkened room anyway so that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 29 July 2007, 08:44 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

You could also try AV Talk: AV forums - Hi Fi forums - Home Cinema UK

Or perhaps ring a local company that offers ISF Calibration Service and ask for their advice

PJ hi-fi | Guildford : ISF Calibration Service
Old 29 July 2007, 08:51 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Convergence is basically the alignment of the red, green and blue lamps/emitters. Can you not read up on the manual/download it and see? I have only had Sony and Tosh rear projectors. It may not be the fix for what you are seeing, but it is a prime cause of ghosting iirc.
Old 29 July 2007, 08:52 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your tv is out of convergence (as above) if it cannot be adjusted, you will need a new convergence board.
TV repair men will pull your pants down for this though

If you cannot manually adjust, get straight back on to the seller!

Hope it works out
Old 29 July 2007, 09:01 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

some of the sony bravias had problems showing a 60hz feed, IIRC it was a simple service menu trick to adjust them so they were correct, as above the AV forums are probably the best bet
Old 29 July 2007, 09:05 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

100hz image processing, probably not working all that well with a 60hz feed if that is what the 360 is outputting at. I don't have a 360 so have no clue about settings on those.100hz processing is desgned with 50Hz feeds in mind non? Old tech which I don't think I ever had one one of my tellies so can't be sure.

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 29 July 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added the 50Hz bit in case people didn't know...
Old 29 July 2007, 09:09 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the big yim
To cut a long story short I bought a rear projection tv off ebay, set it all up and the picture is 'ok' but needs some tuning.
When you look at the screen its as though there are two images, the main one and a faint one ever so slightly to the left of main.
Did you ask the seller why he/she wanted rid of it?
Old 29 July 2007, 09:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Footlong
If you are talking classic rear projection and not DLP, then it sounds like setting up the convergence manually would be a good start and go from there. Iam assuming that it also has auto convergence. I would do it in a darkened room, as in all curtains closed etc.
Agree, you need to line up the 'guns' red, green and blue. had one for a while in a company flat in Dubai. This is done uysing thr remote and not a screwdriver (software driven line-up/convergence). From memory went into the menu and set in manually. The convergence is done all over the screen where the + (usually crosses +) are. This is normally all 4 corners and one in the middle, line each colour up (for agruments sake (red over blue and once this is lined up green over blue so they are all converged on the same places.

This should cure your problem. The convergence is software driven and quite easy to do once you get the hang of it if you get it very wrong then just start agian. It requires doing each time you move the set and you may want to 'tweak' it occaisionally - i did.
Old 29 July 2007, 05:43 PM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

The guy i bought it from said he wanted to sell it because he had bought a 50 inch samsung plasma, he seemed genuine(but I suppose you never can tell).
How would I get into the menu to adjust the convergence?
Thanks for everyones help
Old 29 July 2007, 05:54 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

i mam guessing here but usually press the menue button on the remote or tv, look for installation or advanced or in the picture adjustments.
Old 29 July 2007, 06:16 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Since it is almost Monday you may well have some luck being very nice to Samsung phone support. I must be blind, but I couldn't find a trace of that model in Samsung UK's support site (I went looking for the user manual).
Old 29 July 2007, 06:31 PM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

just found and bought ($15) the service manual for the tv. I'll try to host the pdf file. I think it might be useful.
Old 29 July 2007, 06:37 PM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

Wiki Upload - Free File Hosting. Video, mp3, image host.
Old 29 July 2007, 06:45 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Just had a quick search for converge on that PDF and I am not sure how much use that service manual is going to be. The User manual is the one I would be hunting for, or as said see what Samsung have to say?
Old 30 July 2007, 06:01 PM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

any ideas where i could find the user manual. I have found one but its in french!