Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another child shooting!

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2007, 10:33 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another child shooting!

Went with a mate to pick his daughter up from the other side of town today to find ANOTHER young teenager shot near my house

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | One killed, two hurt in shootings

WTF!!!
I have 3 young children ages 1, 2 and 4. I am starting to worry now though, how long before kids younger that 13 are at risk from "upsetting" some trigger happy muppet?
Old 28 July 2007, 10:40 PM
spireite
BANNED

seems this is becoming the norm for city life .maybe its time to move , or is that just giving in
Old 28 July 2007, 10:43 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Hulme Park is a **** hole
Old 28 July 2007, 10:54 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
It's all been done up now, we sometimes take our kids and dog there
Old 28 July 2007, 11:04 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

I don't know you your kids or where you live, BUT if i was you i'd be looking for a move!

Simpsons!
Old 28 July 2007, 11:09 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

It is getting worse this sort of stuff

The car was dumped 2 minutes away from my house too
Old 28 July 2007, 11:48 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simpsons !
I don't know you your kids or where you live, BUT if i was you i'd be looking for a move!

Simpsons!
We live in old trafford.
TBH it's a really nice place to live and has a community spirit like everyone is friendly and always smiling.....

This small minority give the place a bad name. I had a chat with our vicar (getting married in 6 weeks ) about some friends from out the area don't like coming here after dark... he said "don't be letting people diss old trafford, it's a great place" He's right too!

It just makes me a bit mad that these kids are shooting each other over "beef" and they're getting younger, when in reality it's over nothing.
Old 29 July 2007, 12:39 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Can only be that the punishment does not fit the crime ... tougher sentances or worse is the answer.

TX.
Old 29 July 2007, 10:33 AM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Can only be that the punishment does not fit the crime ... tougher sentances or worse is the answer.

TX.
Here, here!!

it also stems from the most parents letting their kids get into gangs and staying out till all hours! as a young teenager it is ridiculous for them to be out on the streets at 10pm etc!!! do their parents not care where they are?
Old 29 July 2007, 10:38 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

A legal curfew would be a good idea I think, followed by an ASBO plus a fine for the parents. (if not complied with)

Last edited by wrx-kris; 29 July 2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 29 July 2007, 11:22 AM
*Cino*
Scooby Regular

I'm worried about this with my son too, he's only coming up to 2 years old but by the time he's in school, who knows how bad this will get. Seems every week now that you hear on the news of another kid being killed.
What punishment do kids get though, a few years in prison, I spoke to a guy not too long ago who had just been released from prison, I asked him what it was like... He said it was like a youth centre, to me, that doesn't sound like punishment atall! Probably why so many are commiting crimes, as they know a few years in a 'youth centre' and they'll be free to do more!

probably against health and safety to bring back 'proper' punishment lol
Old 29 July 2007, 11:38 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Another good reason why the Human Rights Act should be diluted or got rid of It's there for a good reason however seems to be getting abused by the lawyers & criminals. It's most definitely (spell?) not being used as was intended when it first came out.

TX.
Old 29 July 2007, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What gets me is that there are people who will quote statistics etc at you to prove that crime is decreasing!

Violent and serious crimes such as murder have increased enormously and it is getting worse.

Until penalties and detection is increased to suit, it will continue to get worse!

Les
Old 29 July 2007, 11:52 AM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

The trouble is that these atrocities only hit home when you have kids of your own. We listen/read/hear about it all the time but when you become a parent, the whole world turns on it's head and previous, less important matters, suddenly make you aware of the society you live in.

Is it only parents who want to change and improve society
Old 29 July 2007, 11:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
What gets me is that there are people who will quote statistics etc at you to prove that crime is decreasing!

Violent and serious crimes such as murder have increased enormously and it is getting worse.

Until penalties and detection is increased to suit, it will continue to get worse!

Les
Havent we had this before? Murders have gone from 9 people per million, to 14 people per million per year since 1946.

Percentage wise it seems a lot, but in real terms its miniscule.

So no, it hasn't increased enourmously, at all.

However, I would agree there is an undercurrent of violent crime specifically amongst teenagers, a large amount of which doesn't get reported. How you fix that I am unsure.
Old 29 July 2007, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Havent we had this before? Murders have gone from 9 people per million, to 14 people per million per year since 1946.

Percentage wise it seems a lot, but in real terms its miniscule.

So no, it hasn't increased enourmously, at all.

However, I would agree there is an undercurrent of violent crime specifically amongst teenagers, a large amount of which doesn't get reported. How you fix that I am unsure.
I remember the discussion now. I believe it went from just below 8 per million to around 14 per million up to quite some years ago when the figures stopped. Not all that far off a 100% increase. Taking the big increase in population since 1946 it seems a pretty big increase to me.

You are right of course about the frightening amount of violent teenage crime
that we see these days. Bearing in mind that these lads will grow up in that kind of a mould, and then have children too-what are our chances for the future?

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 29 July 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 29 July 2007, 01:13 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
Here, here!!

it also stems from the most parents letting their kids get into gangs and staying out till all hours! as a young teenager it is ridiculous for them to be out on the streets at 10pm etc!!! do their parents not care where they are?
My level headed and sensible 16 year old son is rarely out after 9pm
Old 29 July 2007, 01:20 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
My level headed and sensible 16 year old son is rarely out after 9pm
Good for him, because as we all know, any teenager out after 11pm *must* be up to no good and cannot possilby be sensible.

My oldest got in at 1am on friday after having been to a party with friends.

Number of times my oldest has been arrested : 0
Number of times he has been in trouble with eh police at all :0
Number of times he has come home drunk :0
Number of times we have had parents of other children at the door : 0
Projected GCSE results: 7 C or above.
Old 29 July 2007, 05:27 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Good for him, because as we all know, any teenager out after 11pm *must* be up to no good and cannot possilby be sensible.

im glad your child hasnt been in any trouble, but if they are only 16 or younger, 1am is a ridiculous time to be out till!
Old 29 July 2007, 06:22 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
and the majority of manchester isnt
Old 29 July 2007, 06:28 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

boy do you need a wakeup call. Me and my brother (me 22, brother 18) used to stay out till around midnight etc and all those things you listed about your son applied to us. Although we were little ****s. I can tell you that any teen whose routine is to stay out on the streets or parks after 9/10 pm is up to no good. The thing is the majority of parents like yourself are clueless to this. We were no angles we infact were like a pack of wolves turning certain places into no go areas for the public. Do you know where, who with and what your son is doing exactly when hes out on the streets at 11pm? My guess is hes with a bunch of mates partaking in asbo activity
Old 29 July 2007, 06:36 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
im glad your child hasnt been in any trouble, but if they are only 16 or younger, 1am is a ridiculous time to be out till!
Why's that then?

Are you telling me that at 16 you are able to get married, but you shouldn;t be out at 1am? You can smoke and ride a motorbike, you can be in a full time job - But you shouldn't be out until 1?

I knew exactly where he was, I picked him up from the place, He has his mobile on him if he needs me.

Of course every child is different, but i do not subscribe at all that there are set rules for bringing up kids - you adapt to who they are. I trust him to be out at that time, I trust when he is out. And I will continue to do so until he gives me reason not to.

Originally Posted by AudiLover
. I can tell you that any teen whose routine is to stay out on the streets or parks after 9/10 pm is up to no good.

I was going to right a reasoned reply to this, but when I got this point I realised you are completely clueless.

I mean at what point did I say it was his routine to stay out late.

And way to go with the generalisation that every teenager on the streets after 9/10 is up to no good - I mean that's just idiotic.
Old 29 July 2007, 06:38 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

How late does he stay out on average every friday saturday and sunday?
Old 29 July 2007, 06:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

How late does he stay out on average every friday saturday and sunday?
What has that got to do with anything? It entirely depends on what he is doing. Last night he was in by 8pm. Tonight he isnt out at all.

If he is out, he rings and tells us where he is and who he is with. If he says he will back by 10, and then thinks he wont get home by 10:30 he rings to let us know.

I am trying to fathom where the correlatiion between "asbo" behaviour and coming in after 10pm comes in.
Old 29 July 2007, 06:46 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

What has that got to do with anything? It entirely depends on what he is doing. Last night he was in by 8pm. Tonight he isnt out at all.

If he is out, he rings and tells us where he is and who he is with. If he says he will back by 10, and then thinks he wont get home by 10:30 he rings to let us know.

I am trying to fathom where the correlatiion between "asbo" behaviour and coming in after 10pm comes in.
what do you think youngsters get up walking the streets at 11pm?

If hes at someones house then fine theres a very high chance hes a good boy. If if hes out on the streets with a load of his mates then im pretty sure hes no angel as you so deem
Old 29 July 2007, 06:53 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Just my tuppence worth

I always thought I knew what my kids got up to...I has detailed explanations of where they went, what they did and I felt I had some control over them through those very dodgy teenage years.

Years later, when they were all grown up and sensible I was told many "true" stories ............ I suppose I ought to be grateful they felt they were able to tell me, even if it was after the event.

One thing I learnt was that my kids, no matter how well I believed I had brought them up, were equally as capable of being idiots as any other
Old 29 July 2007, 06:58 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

what do you think youngsters get up walking the streets at 11pm?

If hes at someones house then fine theres a very high chance hes a good boy. If if hes out on the streets with a load of his mates then im pretty sure hes no angel as you so deem
I'm not saying he is an angel. But equally he is not some vicious thug that beats up the first person he sees.

Of course he has probably gotten drunk, he has probably tried drugs, he has probably gotten into the odd fight - But you know what, so did I, It's called growing up, we all go through it.

I have trust in his sense of right and wrong to know that whatever he gets up to, might sometimes be construed as mischievious, but it certainly isn't "asbo".
Old 29 July 2007, 07:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
Just my tuppence worth

I always thought I knew what my kids got up to...I has detailed explanations of where they went, what they did and I felt I had some control over them through those very dodgy teenage years.

Years later, when they were all grown up and sensible I was told many "true" stories ............ I suppose I ought to be grateful they felt they were able to tell me, even if it was after the event.

One thing I learnt was that my kids, no matter how well I believed I had brought them up, were equally as capable of being idiots as any other

Can you honestly say you never got up to things that your parents would be shocked at though? I admit to doing some stupid things as a teenager but I never stole,vandalized or tried illegal drugs let alone shoot someone
Old 29 July 2007, 07:04 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Can you honestly say you never got up to things that your parents would be shocked at though? I admit to doing some stupid things as a teenager but I never stole,vandalized or tried illegal drugs let alone shoot someone
This is it - we have all done the growing up thing, we all did silly things. I just do not, and will not agree that any teen on the street after some arbitary time is by default, a trouble maker.
Old 29 July 2007, 07:08 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

I can say the same.........................I don't worry about him misbehaving - it's the other teenage neds who are out to cause trouble and who will pick on anyone else they see

Quick Reply: Another child shooting!