Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kites!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 07:38 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last year i planned t take up paragliding but quickly found that the weather has to be just right (and i mean JUST right) and if it aint its a bugger!

so i gave up.....

however, at the time someone suggested kites (which i dismissed as being for girls or children ) until the other day!

i was walking my dogs in a field where the open area stretches for 1/4 mile and theres never anyone around (good for exercising lurchers!) and later that day i passed a kite shop in town (which was shut for xmas) in the window they had kite boards (like a snowboard with wheels)

my question.... can i get one of these and a bloddy big kite then wizz up and down this field! if i can it seems like a pretty cool hobby that i can do when the mood takes me as long as its quiet in the field!...

..or am i mising something and in fact i would have to be a member of the daft sport association of england and only allowed to do it in approved fields etc, etc

anyone??

Tiggs
Old 02 January 2002, 09:04 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

You surely can !

Kites are cool ... and as with so much in life, the bigger the better.

try www.flexifoil.com

I have a stacker6, and will be getting another one soon

Warning! They pull like buggery in a strong wind .. lol

SteveM
Old 02 January 2002, 09:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

so once i get a kite and a board (no doubt requires a bit of background reading but skip that for now) i just roll up at my field and fly/board up and down it and XXmph then go home? no aviation/non powered vehicle offence commited???

seems to easy? why doesnt everyone do it? and more importantly how fast can i go!!!!!

Tiggs
Old 02 January 2002, 11:52 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

I think it might have been who suggested kites.

Sure, get a board and either a series of small kites (and stack them) or a great big one. Fly away. No licence needed etc. but avoid power lines and airfield approaches

As with most sports, you can of course get insurance just in case you hurt someone, but it is unlikely with a board/kite combo.

Also consider a buggy instead of a board, much less tiring. However, using a board will set you in good stead should you want to try kite surfing at a later date.

I would suggest that you start with just a kite and build up from there. Although it doesn't take long, you really do need to be able to fully control a power kite (especially if stacked) beore you advance to the board/buggy/suftboard etc.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 January 2002, 10:59 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Angry

I had a 10' Flexifoil stolen from my Scoob whilst it was in for repairs. Hope the *anker that took it broke his ankle. Power kites are great fun, might get another this year.
Old 03 January 2002, 01:39 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tiggs,

Ah, power kites! They are great fun - I now have 4 10', 3 8' and a 6', stack em all and its take off time! A good friend of mine is really into it (he's part of a kite team) and loves to show people how to use them. He has some real monsters (9m!) that are traction kites, along with the land board that you are describing, 2 buggies, a surf board, and some off-road roller blades!

See you are in Berkshire. I'm just down the road, mail me if you want to try before you buy and I'll see what I can sort out for you.

Jon
Old 03 January 2002, 01:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got an ickle flexfoil kite, 6ft I think. have not used it for a while. When I go down to camber sands there are nutters down there with kites and buggies and few guys with boards in the water. Must say they've nearly taken my head off on a few occasions, but seem nice enough chaps, as long as they don't mind weimaraners trying to chase them

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2002, 12:25 AM
GM
Scooby Regular

I've seen people using kite buggies on the beach - looks really crazy (but I think I want a shot )
Old 04 January 2002, 02:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

right, im getting a kite this weekend! theres a kite shop in Reading so i'll go and ask them some questions but just so i have a bit of an idea....

as im heavy (16st) i assume i'll need a big kite? is it therefore better to get a few and stack or just one big *****!

Tiggs

Old 01 April 2002, 01:18 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

A couple of friends of mine buggy, board and surf. They even flew themselves!!
www.trick-of-the-eye-kites.co.uk I think is their URL

[Edited by Toerag - 1/4/2002 2:18:28 PM]