Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do we need these big boats?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2007, 11:42 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why do we need these big boats?

The two 65,000 tonne Aircraft Carriers which have just been announced.

So what might we use them for in the future? I'd say it was time for UK to back off with its global policeman duties and leave it to the big boys like USA, China and Russia to tough it out.

They will no doubt be bristling with anti-missile defences but they would make an attractive target for a rogue state nuclear attack? Just needs one bomb/missile to get through.

What do you reckon? dl
Old 26 July 2007, 11:48 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

I expect we'll all be living on them when the island dissapears under water
Old 26 July 2007, 11:49 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

big is better its all about boasting
Old 26 July 2007, 11:52 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Not with a surfboard.
Big = beginner.
Old 26 July 2007, 11:52 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
The two 65,000 tonne Aircraft Carriers which have just been announced.

So what might we use them for in the future? I'd say it was time for UK to back off with its global policeman duties and leave it to the big boys like USA, China and Russia to tough it out.

They will no doubt be bristling with anti-missile defences but they would make an attractive target for a rogue state nuclear attack? Just needs one bomb/missile to get through.

What do you reckon? dl
We are "one of the big boys"

Of course, everyone is dwarfed by the US, but Britain has the second highest military budget in the world, and the finest professional armed forces in the world.

Our carrier force is in need of updating - Just like trident is.
Old 26 July 2007, 11:53 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd prefer it if we looked after ourselves. Keeping a position of military strength is good for other areas as well such as maintaining a trade position IMHO.
Old 26 July 2007, 11:53 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

They are ships. not boats!

Wars being fought further away from home (currently not with Russia who where perceived to be the no1 threat for the last 40 years), need weapons platforms that can move to where the action is. We have lost 'friends' who used to let us in their airspace and use their airfields so this is the logical way forward.

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2007, 12:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

What aircraft will they carry? Harriers are a bit old hat and the Typhoon has now VSTOL ability that I know of.
Old 26 July 2007, 12:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
We are "one of the big boys"

Of course, everyone is dwarfed by the US, but Britain has the second highest military budget in the world, and the finest professional armed forces in the world.

Our carrier force is in need of updating - Just like trident is.
You may well be correct but my guess is that our military budget is dwarfed by Russia and China. US being first I presume.
Old 26 July 2007, 12:10 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
but Britain has the second highest military budget in the world, and the finest professional armed forces in the world.
NO DAT!

We are the shiznit!
Old 26 July 2007, 12:13 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You may well be correct but my guess is that our military budget is dwarfed by Russia and China. US being first I presume.
The UK spends £30 billion Defence Internet | About Defence | Defence Spending

Russian spending is $18 billion Russian Military Spending
(scroll to bottom for latest figures)

Chinese spending is $30 billion BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | China to boost military spending

US Spending is $400 billion.

The only country anywhere near the UK is Israel in terms of military spending.
Old 26 July 2007, 12:16 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
What aircraft will they carry? Harriers are a bit old hat and the Typhoon has now VSTOL ability that I know of.
Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) is the replacement for the harrier/jaguar and completed its first flight in September last year...

VSTOL is not necessary for large carriers and they are investigating the possibility of making Typhoon carrier compatible - which is ironic really as that was the main reason why the French pulled out of the EFA project and developed the Raphael!

Do we need them? Well, I think the Falkland islanders would say YES!
Old 26 July 2007, 12:16 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they are being replaced by the F35-B which is STOVL.

edit: I'm old and far too slow today
Old 26 July 2007, 12:20 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the next phase of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) programme was signed on 12 December 2006 by Minister of State for Defence Procurement, Lord Drayson, following a meeting with US Deputy Secretary of Defence, Gordon England, in Washington DC.

Lockheed Martin 'X-35B' Joint Strike Fighter on a 'Ferry flight' from Palmdale to Edwards Air Force Base, California, on 3 July 2001 [Picture: Kevin Robertson]

In 2001 the Government selected JSF to meet the requirement for a stealthy multi-role fighter to operate from the future aircraft carriers, replacing the Harriers. Lord Drayson said:
"After an excellent meeting with Gordon England, I am delighted to be able to sign this MoU which will take the UK into the next phase of the JSF programme. I have always been clear that the UK would only sign if we were satisfied that we would have operational sovereignty over our aircraft. I have today received the necessary assurances from the US on technology transfer to allow me to sign the MoU.
The Joint Strike Fighter is a US-led programme comprising nine partner nations; the US, UK, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway and Turkey.
The Joint Strike Fighter is a stealthy, multi-role combat aircraft which will be a key component of the UK's expeditionary capability, operating from the future carriers, for decades to come.

Lord Drayson continued:
"This signature reflects our continuing commitment to providing our Armed Forces with battle-winning equipment; to procuring and supporting that equipment in the most cost-effective way; and to enhancing the UK's ability to operate effectively with our international partners."
UK companies are closely involved with the programme – over 100 companies have already won development contracts and will now be able to compete for work in the next phase. The expected value of work for the UK is over $29Bn.

The MoU sets out the framework for purchasing JSF and supporting and upgrading it through life. It also provides for the pooling of the partner nations' collective buying power in a common support solution, and of their resources and technology in follow-on development. It does not, however, formally commit the UK to buying any aircraft. The UK's increase in financial commitment at this stage is £34M. 'Operational sovereignty' is defined as the UK having control over essential aspects of the aircraft such as the ability to integrate JSF into the UK operating environment; operate, maintain, repair and upgrade the UK fleet to meet evolving through-life requirements; and certify the aircraft as safe to fly. The MOD's current plan is to buy up to 150 of the Short Take-Off, Vertical Landing (STOVL) variant.

There you go.

Famine/disaster/huricane relief. Big re-supply. Sail up the Severn and help Gloucester.

The Army and RAF now fit inside the Wembley stadium and any less and we would fall down big style. Were all the money from the Defence Budget goes is "sustaining Operations" not the blokes or kit! If you take it that about 20,000 troops are on Ops, 20,000 are coming off Ops, and only slightly less (500 - by Xmas) that leaves about 15,000, many are support staff, training staff and recruits. But we are not overstretched

So, the Navy getting two big ships is a bit of a bonus but they did want three, one on Ops, one going and one for training, normal duties etc.

Hopefully they can fit in all the Media that the Navy like so much
Old 26 July 2007, 12:22 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers all - used to be well up on all matters military but my knowledge is getting rather dated.

Nice looking plane.
Old 26 July 2007, 12:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

However much Labour politicians marched for CND in the past, they love to be in command of very strong military forces. Means they can have a voice in discussions with the world's powerful countries.

I also am glad to see us maintain effective defence forces.

Les
Old 26 July 2007, 12:24 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

The Royal Navy - It's all rum, sodomy and the lash!
Old 26 July 2007, 12:26 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but the VF-35 was the plane in Die Hard 4.0

F-35 Lightning II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 26 July 2007, 12:28 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

It's called Force Projection, and remaining a world power by retaining a blue-water Navy.

You might like the idea of sitting back and letting other countries decide our fate. I don't. (Although admittedly you could argue that with our Labour government its a bit too late for that..)
Old 26 July 2007, 12:44 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Once these are built its time to reclaim the empire

Last edited by kingofturds; 26 July 2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 26 July 2007, 12:48 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yes, we need them. or rather, we're better off with them.

We're still 5th largest economy in the world (most Brits seem to imagine we're 5th smallest !). We should retain some influence in the world and this is an effective way of doing so.

Our navy is (understandably) fairly miniscule compared to what it was in the past, we shouldn't denude it any more !
Old 26 July 2007, 01:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

We need to keep our military strength.

A weekend state gets pushed about.

Just a shame they can't spend a few extra pounds giving our lads in the field better kit.

There was just a report the other week stating that if something happened to Britain (attacked) we now don't have the military strength to defend our land, as most of our armed forces are abroad.

We should pull out of Iraq and spend the money we spend there, on strengthening our military. Look after Number 1.
Old 26 July 2007, 01:25 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

US dwarfs everyone, but we outspend Russia (comforably) and China too.

Old 26 July 2007, 02:51 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Old 26 July 2007, 03:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
We need to keep our military strength.

A weekend state gets pushed about.

Just a shame they can't spend a few extra pounds giving our lads in the field better kit.

There was just a report the other week stating that if something happened to Britain (attacked) we now don't have the military strength to defend our land, as most of our armed forces are abroad.

We should pull out of Iraq and spend the money we spend there, on strengthening our military. Look after Number 1.
We should certainly kit our forces out correctly.

I find it difficult to believe that the authorities were prepared to send our lads into Iraq with unsufficient NBC kit or personal body armour when they were telling us that Iraq possessed WMD. Or did they know something different!

Les
Old 26 July 2007, 03:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't start me on this one........................
Old 26 July 2007, 04:10 PM
Mk2_heaven
Scooby Regular

Can`t we all just get along?

Failing that the biggest one of everything in the catalogue
Old 26 July 2007, 05:25 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mk2_heaven
Failing that the biggest one of everything in the catalogue

Peace through superior firepower

Only problem is, for that to work, you need to prove your willing to use it.. unlike the idiots we've got in charge today.

Last edited by Prasius; 26 July 2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 26 July 2007, 06:12 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

OH I don't know about that prasius, a lot of the flaming on here is about the government's overuse of what we have

Quick Reply: Why do we need these big boats?