Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cyclists in London - aaaaaargh!

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2007, 09:36 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyclists in London - aaaaaargh!

I work in London three days a week and am in various different client offices and so walk, tube and taxi my way around town. I cannot remember a single day when my health and well being has not been threatened by some numpty cyclist.

The classic waiting to cross the road - lights go red, green man comes on, I step out and WHOOOOOOOOSH a courier flies by, often in the opposite direction to the traffic weaving amongst the pedestrians.

The other day, in a taxi, West End, go around a corner turning into a narrow one way street. Thrown off my seat as the cabbie does an emergency stop as a cyclist is coming full pelt up the middle of the road in the wrong direction.

The best of course are usually studenty type girls who ride precariously on the pavement and you have to get out of the way as they are not actually in control of their bicycle. Or even better, they cross at pedestrian crossing and they take up the whole pedestrian island in the middle of the road.

Cars cannot go in cycle lanes, pedestrians cannot sensibly walk in the road and yet cyclists just go wherever the hell they like. And people say that drivers are selfish!

Grrrrrr.

....and relax
Old 25 July 2007, 09:41 AM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

i have a general dislike for cyclists who take up the whole road.

where is their disc to show they have paid road tax? thats right - they dont

therefore i have £200 MORE reason to be there than them

*mini-rant over*
Old 25 July 2007, 09:49 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I cycle to work (not in central london, cyclists there are mad) and I have TWO cars. So, monkeysan you'll find most cyclist also have cars and pay road tax. In my case I pay 2 lots of road tax and do the road less damage as I cycle. In effect I am SUBSIDISING YOU to drive on the road In other words, I have £200 even more reason than YOU to be on the road!

I cycle sensibly, as do many on my commute, however there are nutters (like there are loads of crap drivers, mainly in chavcharriotscoobs
Old 25 July 2007, 09:53 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Look I have three cars and a bike so I have the most reason to be on the road so you can all shut up and any cyclist that gets in my way will have his eyes poked out.

I am buying a cycling helmet so I can head butt them as they fly past.
Old 25 July 2007, 09:59 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by monkeysan
i have a general dislike for cyclists who take up the whole road.

where is their disc to show they have paid road tax? thats right - they dont

therefore i have £200 MORE reason to be there than them

*mini-rant over*
That preposterous argument comes up every time. I ride a bike on the road and live in a 2 car house I pay my road tax
As do millions of other cyclists... Leave this arguement at the door

As for poor quality riding - there is no excuse for it and I despise fellow peddle people who ride "two a t1t" or on busy pavements etc. These numpties give decent thoughtful cyclists like me a bad name.

A week last Sunday I did a 54 mile bike ride for charity. 1900 cyclists took part... The amateur riders all (in the main) rode in single file, stopped at red lights and took correct road positions. The spandex clad racer teams all road 4+5 a t1t, ignored all road markings and were a general nuisance... Plebions!
Old 25 July 2007, 10:05 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Cars drive and park in cycle lanes all the time!

I agree that some cyclists ride like pillocks.

Even so, I'd rather have a run-in with a bike than a taxi or a bus. Mad cyclists are annoying but mad drivers are very dangerous.

All vehicles are available to nutjobs and bicycles are no exception. Bikes don't really kill people though, some consolation.
Old 25 July 2007, 10:10 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Cyclists in Amsterdam are the worst - totally crazy and there are thousands of the buggers. Some of these friggin bikes don't even have brakes

Trending Topics

Old 25 July 2007, 10:19 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Silent Death we call them

My g/f thinks all cyclist in london should have spokey dokeys - the little cards that clack on the spokes as the wheel goes round lol
Old 25 July 2007, 10:24 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
Silent Death we call them

My g/f thinks all cyclist in london should have spokey dokeys - the little cards that clack on the spokes as the wheel goes round lol
I nearly got run over by a G-Whizz the other day (with my careless pedestrian hat on).
Old 25 July 2007, 10:45 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Echo the sentiments above

Cycle 20 miles a day round trip to and from work every day regardless of weather ......and choose to leave my Legacy in my garage.

There is Road tax on it

Understand ????

However, I totally agree that the standard of cycling (especially from students and occasional cyclists) is appaling.

The biggest danger I find on the roads in Edinburgh is other cyclists and especially motorcylists who like to use bus lanes too

We can all get along together .... believe it or not
Old 25 July 2007, 10:57 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

The amount who run red lights and ignore pedestrian crossings in London is incredible. I see at least one "icident" a week. I can't even say is a minority spoilning it for the good riders, they ALL seem intent on never stopping at lights etc

Seen at least 5 accidents in the last few months, 2 fatals. Bikes under busses, bikers riding into the sides of cars that are turning left. I could bike to work in London in 10 mins, but it's safer on the buses even with islamist terrorists with bombs around

Last edited by what would scooby do; 25 July 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 25 July 2007, 11:10 AM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
The amount who run red lights and ignore pedestrian crossings in London is incredible. I see at least one accident a week. I can't even say is a minority spolining it for the good riders, they ALL seem intent on never stopping.

Seen at least 5 accidents in the last few months, 2 fatals. Bikes under busses, bikers riding into the sides of cars that are turning left. I could bike to work in London in 10 mins, but it's safer on the buses even with islamist terrorists with bombs around
I had to remind a cyclist who did not give me right of way on a roundabout that his bike did not afford him the luxury of crash protection. Nor would he have a swift getaway if he didn't stop his effing and blinding. They do seem not to be bothered of cars & pedestrians.
Old 25 July 2007, 11:17 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If your at a crossing, and see a cyclist on the road ignoring on the red light, kick him or push him as he cycles past....then run

They don't think twice about the damage they cause to mirrors or cars when they crash, as they don't have insurance...but a few cuts and brusies might
Old 25 July 2007, 11:21 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shark Man
If your at a crossing, and see a cyclist on the road ignoring on the red light, kick him or push him as he cycles past....then run

They don't think twice about the damage they cause to mirrors or cars when they crash, as they don't have insurance...but a few cuts and brusies might
There's another technique - if they are wearing a backpack just grab it and slam their wobbly ***** onto the road
Old 25 July 2007, 11:25 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Wife and I cycle a lot yet when we did a year in London, our bikes weren't used at all - too risky.

We do a country road and track route most days and some drivers need culling. Trying to squeeze through gaps that aren't big enough so we have to stop/jump off being the most annoying.

One driver literally knocked me off my bike. Clocked his reg no and car, saw him two weeks later (I was driving this time), chased him a mile, blocked him into a car park and got a grovelling apology.

Tee hee...

I'd love you to try that "technique" on me WWSD...
Old 25 July 2007, 11:33 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I'd love you to try that "technique" on me WWSD...
Kinky? or you saying you is a big boy

Old 25 July 2007, 11:34 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Kinky? or you saying you is a big boy

Don't need to be big yer know.
Old 25 July 2007, 11:35 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

*runs away*
Old 25 July 2007, 11:43 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Oh look... another classic sweeping generalisation ...

Some cyclists even have insurance, plenty firms offering it.
Old 25 July 2007, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If I was have problems with them riding on the pavement, I would find it extremely difficult not to accidentally find my arm crutch stuck in their front wheel!

Les
Old 25 July 2007, 11:55 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If I was have problems with them riding on the pavement, I would find it extremely difficult not to accidentally find my arm crutch stuck in their front wheel!
Totally agree

No excuse for a cyclist to ever be on a pavement
Old 25 July 2007, 12:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Yes there is and I've even asked the Police.

1) Try and negotiate a massive roundabout to cross a busy dual carriageway on a bike and you WILL get run over.
2)Do 100 yards on a footpath and go under the subway, cycling carefully to make sure everyone knows you are there. You stay alive.

Dumb motorists always make me mad.
Old 25 July 2007, 12:11 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Pedant

You know what I was meaning though
Old 25 July 2007, 12:14 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Si - I do indeed. Just a situation (in very cycle unfriendly Truro) where not mounting the pavement is more or less suicide.

But hammering along a pavement in a busy area is stupid.
Old 25 July 2007, 12:29 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I think when the police suggest you use the pavement for safety reasons you are expected to dismount and walk your bike to the next safe point.

There is no excuse for riding on the pavement unless there is a clearly marked cycle lane.
Old 25 July 2007, 12:50 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
That preposterous argument comes up every time. I ride a bike on the road and live in a 2 car house I pay my road tax
You house is made of two cars

Mind you, you did say you were getting a circa 1940's VW Camper Van

Nice work on the Charity ride though
Old 25 July 2007, 12:52 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Look I have three cars and a bike so I have the most reason to be on the road so you can all shut up and any cyclist that gets in my way will have his eyes poked out.

I am buying a cycling helmet so I can head butt them as they fly past.
Rannoch

The image of you doing that made me spit my coffee out
Old 25 July 2007, 12:58 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

When using a pedestrian crossing I lead with the point of my umbrella. Both cars and cyclists tend to stop
Old 25 July 2007, 12:58 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
I think when the police suggest you use the pavement for safety reasons you are expected to dismount and walk your bike to the next safe point.

There is no excuse for riding on the pavement unless there is a clearly marked cycle lane.

Actually no - You are much "wider" off your bike (except you clearly don't have one) and less stable so much more likely to cause problems.

I asked the Police if it was okay and they said it's fine, just be careful.

I find the anti cyclists are always a little bit porky...
Old 25 July 2007, 01:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do both, the lycra clad three abreast (usually chatting) ones however really get on my t1ts. Or the ones that come up the inside when you are turning right.

Quick Reply: Cyclists in London - aaaaaargh!