Cash for honours scandal - Um, ex-scandal

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 08:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cash for honours scandal - Um, ex-scandal

BBC NEWS | Politics | No charges on 'cash for honours'

Anyone else think this is a complete whitewash, or is it just me?

I suppose it could be coincidence that every single person that has donated over £1 million to the Labour party ended up a peer of the realm, and that subsequent to that, any large donor was told to "lend" money rather than donate it (that way their identity could remain secret, makes it loads easier to knight them, then).

But I doubt it.
Old 20 July 2007, 08:34 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Well you'd have to prove they were promised peerages. Not easy I'd imagine.
Old 20 July 2007, 08:39 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Well you'd have to prove they were promised peerages. Not easy I'd imagine.
No, I suppose not. The whole thing relies on a paper trial/whistle blower, neither of which seem to hae appeared.
Old 20 July 2007, 08:46 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

for once I'm with the cynics. Whether anyone's guilty or not, I've never seen such a transparent whitewash. the government controlled the 'investigation' from day one, and made their aims clear well before any results from the investigation.

I wonder if Blair would have acted the same had he not known he wouldn't be there at the end?
Old 20 July 2007, 08:47 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The correlation between making large donations to the Labour Party and receiving an honour is extraordinary. Statistical analysis shows that 58.54% of all donors giving more than £50,000 to the Labour Party receive an honour. This compares to just 0.035% of non-donors. Large Labour Party donors are 1,657 times more likely to receive an honour than a non-donor and 6,969 times more likely to receive a peerage. It is almost impossible to avoid the conclusion that the Labour Party has been selling honours, including places in the House of Lords. An analysis of all donations over £50,000 since 2001 reveals that Honour certainly has its price. We publish below the average amount donated by the recipients of various honours – an “Honours Price List”. Those receiving a Peerage have given £1.07 million on average, and a Knighthood £747,000...

Source : The Price of Dishonour
  • 80% of Labour's election funding came from the covert Loans for Lordship program.
  • Every donor who has given the party more than £1 million has been given a knighthood or a peerage.
  • Three quarters of those individuals who have given more than £50,000 to the Labour Party since 2001 have received an honour.
Old 20 July 2007, 08:50 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm surprised that you all seem surprised!

I bet there was a fair bit of leaning on the Senior Police Officer for the right outcome!

Its like an epsisode of 'Yes Prime Minister' - I can imagine Humphrey pulling all the strings to make it happen......
Old 20 July 2007, 08:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
[[*]Every donor who has given the party more than £1 million has been given a knighthood or a peerage.
See, this is the clincher for me.

During the Watergate affair, Carl Berstien & Bob Woodford who exposed the story in the washington post said "The problem is that the people doing the operation weren't very smart."

I think the same may apply here - We assume that politicians and party officials are far too devious and clever than to make such a blunder as to be so utterly obvious with thier policy - But there we have it in plain view - Donate £1million, get a knighthood guaranteed.

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2007, 09:06 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

New Labour has systematically lied to us so often it is hard to beleive anything they say anymore.

In fact I would believe the opposite of what would once come out of Bliars mouth.

I find it hard to believe Brown aswell.
Old 20 July 2007, 09:10 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even better than the Hutton whitewash!
Old 20 July 2007, 09:17 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
I'm surprised that you all seem surprised!

I bet there was a fair bit of leaning on the Senior Police Officer for the right outcome!

Its like an epsisode of 'Yes Prime Minister' - I can imagine Humphrey pulling all the strings to make it happen......
I don't think anyone's acting surprised.

To be fair though, the above stats for non-donors would presumably be for the entire population. A fairer comparison would be people who are in a position to give away that sort of money. If those figures were substantially less than the donors, that's be telling
Old 20 July 2007, 09:54 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The way I read it, the stats for non-donors were for Labour Party members, rather than the the population as a whole
Old 20 July 2007, 10:01 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Here's the other famous "It was all just a dream/it NEVER happened"

Old 20 July 2007, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I imagine it was not down to the policeman heading the investigation but the CPS under the direction of a member of the establishment.

As I said in another thread-it confirms the existence of graft and corruption in the highest levels.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 20 July 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 20 July 2007, 11:52 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
The way I read it, the stats for non-donors were for Labour Party members, rather than the the population as a whole
yes, but in terms of position and wealth, the labour party membership will largely reflect the country as a whole. If you just considered how many of thos who could afford such a large donation and got a peerage, against those who did donate and got a peerage, you'd have true comparisons.

Not suggesting for a moment that there wasn't anything dodgy going on, it's just nice (though rare) to be given accurate information to base a view on.
Old 20 July 2007, 12:22 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
yes, but in terms of position and wealth, the labour party membership will largely reflect the country as a whole. If you just considered how many of thos who could afford such a large donation and got a peerage, against those who did donate and got a peerage, you'd have true comparisons.

Not suggesting for a moment that there wasn't anything dodgy going on, it's just nice (though rare) to be given accurate information to base a view on.
Not sure where you are going with this. Statistically, if you dontated a million pounds or more, you had a 100% chance of getting a knighthood/peerage.