Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Irrational Wasp Phobia

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2007, 03:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Irrational Wasp Phobia

Well it's getting to that time of year where Abdabz starts wasp aversion tactics and the phobia hits boiling point!

When I was 10 I had an incident on a cub scout holiday. August 1984 (the trip in the dangerous minibus) and a picnic in a car park in Anglesey. 3 or 4 wasps decided they wanted a bit of my butty and I went hysterical as they wouldnt leave me be. In the end Akela gave me a slap and locked me in the minibus until the rest had finished and I had calmed down.

Ever since I have a had a phobia of wasps.

Once we get to mid July, I cant sit in a beer garden no matter how nice the weather is for fear of the barstards. I can only have my house windows on the "draft" setting even if it's roasting outside. I cant smear my naked body in jam and lie in the park. I cant go to theme parks and the likes. My whole life is affected from Mid July to the end of September.

Some people said that if I ever got stung my fear would go as it doesnt hurt too much. I got stung at 17 and it had no effect on my phobia.
Some people said if I researched and thus understood the little barstards that that would help. I could now write a thesis on wasp behaviour, but cant be in a room with one...

I know it's irrational - They dont really hurt, I dont suffer anaphal thingy shock etc... It's more their movement and behaviour that bothers me when it gets to their silly season...

Does anyone else suffer from this? Does anyone else have any ideas about "treatment". I would not consider hypnotherapy.

Old 19 July 2007, 03:38 PM
*LPSKI1*
Scooby Regular

we caught two in a pint glass last night

Im like you, well not as bad, but i do fight the invisible Ninja if one takes a fancy to me
Old 19 July 2007, 03:43 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Dont like them, remember being at silverstone about a year ago and one climbed into my coke can, when I came to take a swig of it the little fekker stung the inside of my mouth.... A few explicites came out of my mouth followed by a wasp little sods get everywhere
Old 19 July 2007, 03:45 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I ******* hate wasps. Bee's too.

Had the mother of all Bee's in my Flat last week. Got the Hoover out to kill the ******. Took me 5 min's to get up the courage to get close enough to hoover the b*stard up.
I run out of any room that a Wasp appears in.

At work, I just get some heavy duty elastic bands and use the Wasp at Target practice.
Old 19 July 2007, 03:46 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I hate them with a vengeance, we had a load last year in the house, foof knows where they were coming from, I had spray handy and got as close as I dared until they were dead

It doesn't prevent me doing things to the extent of you Abdabs, but if I see one I will close the window and if there's on in a room I will open the window and close the door in the hope it will go out. I have been stung too and panicked like mad because I was pregnant at the time You never know if you're going to react to one until you're stung, luckily I just got a rash!

If I see them outside I do avoid them
Old 19 July 2007, 03:55 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What good are wasps ,what do they do apart from scare the sh*t out of people.
I had an incident a long time ago,i was playing in the backyard with a neighbours dog chucking a ball about etc and there was a sofa that had been put there so jumped on it and carried on playing the next thing i know there's a buzz next to my ear,i swipe at it and then all hell breaks loose as nearly the entire nest decides to sting my head, which was a bitch as i had very long hair so the wasps got stuck and more annoyed and carried on stinging me.
Went to hospital for treatment to find a few stings next to my bollocks as well counted approx 20 stings to the head and about 5 near my *****.
What good are wasps,what do they do apart from **** people off?
Old 19 July 2007, 04:01 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I would not consider hypnotherapy.
Shame.......because there's a great chance that you'd find you're cure ...

Go for it and just make sure they are NHLP registered

Here's the guy I used (not for wasps I may add)

Exclusive Hypnotherapy - Edinburgh Hypnotherapist and Psychotherapist Robin Thorburn

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2007, 04:08 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Mass stinging sounds horrific

I was sorting some washing out in my sons room a few weeks back and heard a reeally loud buzzing which I knew was too slow and loud for a fly, took me a while to see where it was coming from and saw an enormous wasp about an inch long it was definitely a wasp and not a bee, but I have never seen one so big!

Needless to say I scarpered out of the room and closed the door
Old 19 July 2007, 04:10 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Abdabz won't consider Hypnotherapy as he is worried he may be subdued into returning to the Micklehead meets

I dont mind them too much tbh, they can be annoying but I can live with the odd one or two
Old 19 July 2007, 04:13 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

I hate the little bastids with a vengeance.

I was having a shower in March last year (yes, March), when I found one in the shower with me

SWMBO got an eyeful as I exited the loo at speed
Old 19 July 2007, 04:25 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I hate the buggers!

We've had wasp nests in the roof the last two years. The year before last, we called out the council chaps to come and get rid of it. They told us to make sure of where the hole was that the wasps were using (wtf !?...like I'm Twizzle or something??) so they could squirt the stuff in. Last year, we rang them too late in the season for them to do anything about it, so we just waited until they died off. We had some HUGE ones beginning of spring but (touch wood) none since. My phobia is spiders.....pathetic, I know, but some primaeval instinct just kicks in when I see one. My hands go pins and needly and I literally just have to run away.....or burst into tears, depending on the size.
Old 19 July 2007, 04:52 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I'm not particularly scared of any creepy crawlies - in fact we did a recent Mr & Mrs style quiz (after too many bottles of wine!) and when asked the question "what creatures are you frightened of" all I could come up with were lions!

I do however have a massive fear of flying. Not normal. Hurtling around in a large metal tube at 33,000 feet. Large amounts of sedatives and alcohol usually do the trick. If I don't have them then everyone within my vicinity needs them!
Old 19 July 2007, 05:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Never had a problem with wasps bees hornets or mozzies ( although as a small child living on the edge of essex i reacted so badly to the later i could hardly open my eyes )

I was even stung by a hornet few years ago - felt something on my neck whilst starting off a car journey and put my hand up to sctrach , possibly didnt get the felt treatment but was no more than a medium ache despite bit of swelling ....

However 2 weekends ago went about hacking g.friends garden about and got stung on the side of the nose and throw sweat-shirt on the arm simultaneously - and i never saw the attacker the start to finish althuough there is a bees nest with 1" long examples flying about - but this is the opposite side of the garden.

This actually hurt not much swelling first day but 2nd looked like id been in a boxing match - 3rd day forked out fiver for some anti-histamine.

She'll be doing her own gardening ...
Old 19 July 2007, 05:43 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I hate them, they scare me to death. Funny thing is, they have the same effect on my kids. My Son was in the Dentists chair last year, having some work done and a wasp got into the room. He shot out of the chair with tubes and all sorts still in his gob They had to get rid of the wasp before he would go back in
Old 19 July 2007, 05:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by D.K.1
I was sorting some washing out in my sons room a few weeks back and heard a reeally loud buzzing which I knew was too slow and loud for a fly, took me a while to see where it was coming from and saw an enormous wasp about an inch long it was definitely a wasp and not a bee, but I have never seen one so big!
Sounds like either a queen, or a hornet. You really DON'T want stung by either, believe me

Whilst I'm not scared of wasps, bees, hornets etc, I can understand phobias. Mine is snakes...........

Alcazar
Old 19 July 2007, 05:58 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Donna's phobia is Spiders to a massive degree

We have a snake, a Royal Python, and that is my Mum's biggest phobia
Old 19 July 2007, 06:21 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, you wouldn't want to visit us any time then

Although he *is* in a locked vivarium
Old 19 July 2007, 07:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I was in the states, after watching a really good storm, taking a photo of a conifer that had fallen on my mates neighbors Buick and splatted it, I was knelt down with shorts on but without undies, felt a sharp stabbing pain in the nads, couldnt disrobe as his whole family was there, got to the loo and found a massive Wasp crawling in my pubes stinging as it went.

Not as bad as some of the Wasps I saw in the states, some 2 inch long hovering black *******, half Wasp, half Apache Gunship, I have never seen a room clear as quick as when that came in, obviously I deaded it but apparently it was fairly rare and quite likely to put you on your back if it got you !

I hate wasps, especially the ones that find there way in your bedroom at 4.30 am and buzz their **** off and you have to get up, compose your self and splat it, any neighbours around are treated a naked bloke thrashing this weeks Autocar at the window with a slowly subsiding morning glory.

My theory is that Ice Cream companies insert a small sachet of wasps in every Lolly, when you open the lolly you get the wasps ejected to make your life miserable.

I find the sting isn't that bad, the though of wasps is worse than the reality, the chavvy, bin loving, stripy c*nts !
Old 19 July 2007, 07:28 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

i hate wasps and bees i freak out if one is in the same room as me i run round histerical until someone has killed them

i got stung when i was about 11 and freaked out ever since
i remember camping with my family when i was about 13 and we was having breakfast and a wasp landed on my lips i stayed calm but my mum had to get it away never liked them since
Old 19 July 2007, 07:32 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I love killing wasps.

Trouble is they let off a scent (when squashed) that attracts more of them!
Old 19 July 2007, 07:52 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

A few weeks back we went into work on a Monday morning to find there must be a hive in the walls. There were literally hundereds of dead wasps in each of the 6 rooms on one side of the building! I just think we were SO lucky that they came out at the weekend and didn't last until the Monday, can you imagine being in a room with 30 kids and hundereds of wasps?!?!?
Old 19 July 2007, 08:00 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

I really can't stand wasps they terrify me.. and yes I call it it a phobia, my behaviour when one comes near me is completely irrational.

Somebody asked what wasps are good for.. well they can be pretty much summed up as nature's janitors and pest control. They eat lots of rotting stuff, dead animals fruit and stuff generally cleaning the place up, they also prey on other insects that can spread disease and ruin crops and plants. So they do serve a pretty important purpose. Still that doesn't endear them to me much.

Bee's I don't particularly like hovering around me much but i try to leave them alone, as they generally won't bother you (unlike wasps) unless you aggrievate them, besides bumble bees and honey bees are actually getting pretty rare in the scheme of things. I was watching some program on TV recently that said if every bee on the planet suddenly died, they reckoned the human race would shortly follow around 7 years later.. as we are that reliant on them pollinating stuff, and without them we'd end up starving.

Hornets on the other hand, being upto 5cms in size, look terrifying but I'm not so concerned about them.. they're a lot less aggressive than wasps and are quite slow moving in comparison.. oh and you can hear them coming a mile off..lol. Still I don't like getting too up close and personal with them.
Old 19 July 2007, 08:02 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I have that same irrational response to spiders *shudder*
Old 19 July 2007, 08:37 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.K.1
I have that same irrational response to spiders *shudder*
I like spiders. They kill other bugs - like wasps. I never kill a spider. SWMBO and my kids are terrified of them

As far as household spiders are concerned, the bigger the better, as far as I am concerned
Old 19 July 2007, 08:39 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Nooo, they have to be killed or I will not go back into the room until I know they are dead, I really am that scared of them
Old 19 July 2007, 08:42 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Something else I am not too keen on, slugs :shudder:
What is the purpose in life, of a slug,
Old 19 July 2007, 08:43 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Something else I am not too keen on, slugs :shudder:
What is the purpose in life, of a slug,
pleeeeeeeeeaasssee!.....don't start me off on those foofers!
Old 19 July 2007, 09:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I am glad I wasn't an Entomologist when things were being named, as Bees, Wasps and Spiders would have been known forever as F*ckers, C*nts and *****.
Old 19 July 2007, 10:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Got stung on the neck by one this evening while riding my trials bike. Still hurts now and mild swelling. Little bugger. I squished him though.
Old 19 July 2007, 10:46 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Hate wasps with a passion: one of the most annoying insects on the planet next to daddy long legs and moths.

Sunny Saturdays in the beer garden usually consisted of keeping a stock of empty glasses (preferably with a little bit of dregs), in which we entice curious wasps into, spare glass on top so its trapped, and give it a slosh around in the beer dregs so it can have a good swim

Lost count of how many we caught this way.

Quick Reply: Irrational Wasp Phobia