Chickenpox

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2007, 08:04 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chickenpox

Fecking chickenpox

Got a call yesterday afternoon to pick my son up from nursery and he's covered in spots

How long do they usually last? They said they don't want him back there for at least a week.

I felt really guilty cos when I saw him, I didn't even want to kiss him.
Old 19 July 2007, 08:15 AM
stara
Scooby Regular

it's good he's had it young as it can be really bad the older you are i.e. late teens adults. the spots start to scab over in a week (usually the younger a child is, the less spots appear) (make sure he doesn't pick or scratch any facial spots as they will leave lifetime scars). it is very contagious in the first few days prior to scabbing, 2weeks or so and it should be clear, use calamine lotion to ease the itching in the scabbing period.

Last edited by stara; 19 July 2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 19 July 2007, 12:09 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Two weeks here as well. IIRC he can go back when there are no more spots visible.

They all get it some time, better sooner than later
Old 19 July 2007, 12:23 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

My eldest has just had it. Shame really, as she had to be off school for her last week. And it's the last week in her current school (moves up to Juniors in September)

The good news is that she went back today - the school's policy is that as long as there are no "open" spots, she can return.

well chuffed, as she gets to see out the last couple of days

Dan
Old 19 July 2007, 12:27 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stara
make sure he doesn't pick or scratch any facial spots as they will leave lifetime scars
I can vouch for that one Had them when I was about 5, only picked one of them before getting a bo11ocking of mum Got a little circle scar on my chest now from it.
Old 19 July 2007, 12:28 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

My lad got it last year, and before his went both my girsl got it too Bless them

Lasted about two weeks before they were all scabbed over and was safe to send them back to school

I however didn't get them until my son was 6 weeks old and was 22 I felt absolutely rotten and was covered far worse than any of the kids were, between toes and on soles of my feet and everything, was so hot and itchy, felt like I had an infection, shivery but burning up, couldn't sleep and it drove me mad, I couldn't walk without it feeling I was on broken glass, it really knocked me for six seemed to have it longer than two weeks too because as the first lot scabbed over, the others only just started to appear, it was awful! I am so glad I will never get it again LOL
Old 19 July 2007, 12:29 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I can vouch for that one Had them when I was about 5, only picked one of them before getting a bo11ocking of mum Got a little circle scar on my chest now from it.
My youngest picked one on her forehead and it's still scarred, looks a mess really Her fringe covers it, but it's still a shame, then her sister knocked her over into the radiator and split just above her eye open, so that has scarred too

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2007, 12:33 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol I have a scar on my eyebrow too from having a stone fight on a building site
Old 19 July 2007, 12:33 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

2 of family had it when I was young, mum wanted me to catch it as its 1 of those things that mums like doing.

Never caught it turns out I get cold sores, which have the same antibodies so am effectivly immune to chickenpox